Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Chips In Ireland?

• 01-07-2004 10:20am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭

I have never had chips like those you can get in Cunninghams in Tramore in Waterford. They're a dark golden colour - very crispy on the outside, very soft and fluffy on the inside. I have no idea how they do it - because no where else i've tried comes close.

So where do you think the best chips in Ireland are served?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Raz

The Valley café in Navan. My favourite, especially when soaked in vinegar! mmmmmm :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭SheroN

Cunnighams are good, their fish is lovely too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ChipZilla

Lennox's in Cork

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,259 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

McDonagh's in Galway. They even have a framed document from the Russian Navy declaring them to be "the finest purveyors of seafood on the atlantic" which I'd imagine is high praise indeed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

Dino's in Cork.. not too shabby. Their chips, cheese & garlic mayo is quite nice... although maybe not more than once a month!?! Ohh my arteries.

KC's in Douglas is quite nice too, although mainly for their delightful cheeseburgers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

All the small local type chippers beat the **** out of the big chains like mcdonalds and burger king.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Ahh good oul Cunninghams.. class chips.. nice chicken too :)

Tox

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭daggeredge

I agree with chipzilla
    Lennox's in Cork all the way!
    They're chips are famous throughout the country, also when you conside a large chips would feed a family of 26 its not surprising they come out on top!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

that's a few votes for Lennox's in Cork - may have to make the trip methinks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭ravenhead

Luigi's near the railway station in limerick ...... smuthered in vineager!!!! You can't get any better!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭Chad ghostal

unless your at least some way toasted i think lennox's is
    not so good...
    the same with dinos..
    kcs in douglas on the other hand.. the nicest chipper (in cork at least.. )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

McDonagh's in Galway

Definitely the best fish and chips.

What's the name of the one around the corner from Jury's Christchurch in dublin - really small but the food is fab in there - they give chips in paper???

What's the name of the one around the corner from Jury's Christchurch in dublin - really small but the food is fab in there - they give chips in paper???

Leo Burdocks. 2 minutes from my house, i know it all too well!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Inside the Pale - Leo Burdock
    Outside the Pale - Mimmos in Cobh

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

One of the best Chippies I know is my mate Aidan, he is brilliant with an oul 4x4 and a saw, . . . he he he

But seriously, are there any in Dublin???

Why all on the coast??

Borza in Tallaght are pretty damn good wrapped in that white paper, smothered in salt and winegar, mmmmmm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Lennox's are good but there is better than them in Cork.

KC's in Douglas is just yummy. Ask for the "flaming pig in the spuds". It's a carton of chips, with mayo or garlic mayo and then a mixture of sausages, carmelised chilli onions is put on top.

Barties in Ballyphehane is also a really good traditional chipper. He actually fries everything in beef lard (not for the vegetarians), so there is a really nice buttery taste from the chips and he does a mean cheese and ham potato pie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

Luigi's near the railway station in limerick

Indeed - damn good chips there, but I think the best chips down Limerick way would be from Donkey Fords. Last time I was there, you could order one of everything on the menu and get change from a fiver. And a heart attack, probably, but dammit, the chips were good

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

was going to say Leos, but sure that's the Obvious one.

Theres another Leo Burdocks in Phibsborough.

Any more inside the pale, theres only a few thousand???

I always thought that Maccari's in Harold's Cross was kinda nice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Tw

Damn!,
    After seeing this thread I just have to respond. I'm a bit of a chipaholic and during my travels I've eaten in a lot of the chippers already mentioned. God I must have lard for blood.

Anyhow I'd have to rank the chippers in the following order.

1. Cunninghams - I've eaten these since I was a kid, mmMMmm!
    2. Dino's - Not for the chips, but for the King Dino Burger, lovely with melted cheese all dribbling down the sides.
    3. McDonalds (Galway) - Fish is their strong point, nearly as nice as Cunninghams!
    4. Kc's (Douglas) - Nice chicken in pitta bread.
    5. Lennox's - More for the sheer volume you get.

Biggest problem with any of the above chippers is consistency, sometimes you just get an off day when the chips just aren't as nice as they could be.

I'm in the midlands at the moment, so for me, Bethleems in Athlone has become my regular haunt, Nice consistently crisp chips! Yum!

Pete

Is Cunninghams the chipper on the hill in Tramore? If that's the case, then's it's brilliant.

Originally posted by grumpytrousers
    Indeed - damn good chips there, but I think the best chips down Limerick way would be from Donkey Fords. Last time I was there, you could order one of everything on the menu and get change from a fiver. And a heart attack, probably, but dammit, the chips were good

Would it nearly be worth the trip into limerick???????

the premier in wexford town.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,341 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Borza in Tallaght are pretty damn good wrapped in that white paper, smothered in salt and winegar, mmmmmm.

Gets my vote. Their fresh cod is unbelievable too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

Would it nearly be worth the trip into limerick???????

Depends on where you're coming from? :D

you say 'into' Limerick with the implication that you're not far from it...in which case, you've probably wasted journeys on less...

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭the_viper2kie

i would have to say....viena cafe in dublin!! ah many a drunken and sober nite in their feeding my malnourished college going body!! then while at home its gotta be Joe's take-away in kilkenny!! ahhh battered sausage and he throws in a bag of chips all for the handsome price of 1EUR...greattt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Originally posted by Sleepy
    McDonagh's in Galway. They even have a framed document from the Russian Navy declaring them to be "the finest purveyors of seafood on the atlantic" which I'd imagine is high praise indeed.
    aye, those guys sure know how to deep fry a spud:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭Marq

McDonagh's in Galway, without a doubt. Closely followed by Macaris in Ballymun.

Oh, and The Seashell in Dublin, just for the battered mars bars...don't knock it 'till you've tried it, and once you've tried it, you'll never go back

mmm...battered mars bar

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

cassoni's in bray seafront aww man i'll think i'll go there now

Advertisement