Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dolby receiver causing TV discolouration, need advice

Options
  • 01-07-2004 11:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 27

... doh I nearly typed discoloration, damn u America ...

I bought a new Philips 50Hz 32" widescreen TV (32PW6517) and set it all up, and it looks lovely etc. etc., however once I put the receiver (Sony STR-DE445) on the stand below it it began to discolour parts of the image. Any red colour just below the centre of the screen become coloured pink, and the bottom right corner gets a greenish tint.
    Powering on the receiver can cause the bottom of the TV picture to begin to flicker slightly too.
    Naturally I unplugged the receiver away and moved it away. They are far apart now, but I'd prefer to have it sitting on the stand.

Has anyone had a similar issue to this? Shouldn't Philips shield their TV from the bottom in some way, especially if they are selling stands for AV equipment with the TV?
    Any way I can block whatever EM is coming from the Sony with a sheet of some kind of metal?
    If all else fails, the receiver will sit apart from the rest of the equipment, but that's a pain in the arse tbh.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ChipZilla

Your amp has a nice big tranformer in it. The magnetic field from the transformer is messing up the picture. So you'll have to keep your amp away from the telly or get some lead...

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Mutor_CS

Agreed, the thing is that this is the first telly I've had this problem on, I had it under or beside another Philips 32" wide (32PW6332 I think), a Black Diamond 4:3 TV and a Sanyo 4:3 (I think) - no issues on any of them.

I'm going to upgrade the amp within the next year hopefully, but there's no guarantee this TV won't be affected by that too. I mean, that's what the bloody stand beneath the TV is for!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

Be carefull. Magnetic fields can damage your TV. I got a simular discolouration on my TV when I place my (floorstanding) speakers beside the tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ChipZilla

Originally posted by Mutor_CS
    Agreed, the thing is that this is the first telly I've had this problem on, I had it under or beside another Philips 32" wide (32PW6332 I think), a Black Diamond 4:3 TV and a Sanyo 4:3 (I think) - no issues on any of them.

That doesn't mean anything apart from the fact that those TVs had better shielding...

Advertisement