Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin City Duathlon

Options
  • 01-07-2004 11:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

The next Dublin City Duathlon is to be held in the Phoenix Park on Weds July 7th.

Its a 2mile Run, 10 mile Cycle, 2mile Run on closed flat roads.
    (Its really 1.8 miles) Check out the last race results on
    http://www.triathlonireland.com/newITA/results/DCD020604.htm

Gary Crossan won the last race.
    Its open to everyone and anyone. the last race had 80 people racing, half of whom were beginners.
    Its a great way to get into the sport of Duathlon and Triathlon, or just a great way for cyclists to show their superiority in this sport.

Registration/Start line is just off Chesterfield Ave on Furze Road. Reg from 6pm, closing 7pm
    Entry €12 on the day, €10 pre-entry
    A one day licence may be bought if you do not have membership.
    http://www.tsunamitri.com/download/2004DuathlonSeries.doc

more details on www.triathlonireland.com
    or
    www.tsunamitri.com

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

cool, I know a rake of lads that have been threatening one of these for ages!!!

How long does that run take?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Wes1

The run would take anything from 8mins to 12 mins, all depends on you.
    The 2nd run usually takes a bit longer, it takes a while for the legs to get used to the change from the bike.

The bike could take anyhting from 23mins to 33mins

There are course details and tips below:
    http://3dtri.proboards24.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=display&num=1074527609

• Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

How come it's not called a biathlon btw? Was there some legal impediment?

It used to be called biathlon in the 80's, early 90's I think but was getting mixed up with the winter sport of Running on ski's and shooting targets.

Now that its seen as a sport in itself and has its own World Champs etc it is known as Duathlon.

A Triathlon on the other hand in Swim/Bike/Run
    and an Aquathlon is a Swim/Run/Swim

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Cool, thanks for posting this up, I'm up for it.

uber: could be as much as 30 minutes for 2 miles if you're really taking it easy. I guess the winning split time for that distance would be inside 10 minutes if there's 1337 athletes taking part. I'm not that fast: I'll do it in about 14 mins. Of course, that's talking about the first leg, not the second :)

• Advertisement

pace/time calculator

Didn't see Wes' reply when I posted that - 8 minutes, that's insane. I guess it isn't actually 2 miles, but still. I'd be happy to do the first run in less than 15.

It's good to spin at a high cadence for the last mile or so of the bike leg, to loosen out the legs.

I just had a look at the last results, that first split had the run and bike included.

someone measured the course at 2.7k and the bike at 13.5k (just a sprint for ye guys):)

What usually happens at these is the guys from a running background usually take a bit of a lead in the first run, and the cyclists usually take any lost ground back on the bike (its 5 laps of the run course) avg speed is between 36k and 42k depending on the weather, I've seen bike splits of 4min 10secs for the circuit. Its then a fight in the last run between cyclists and runners.

Anyone know of Kayak-Cycle-Run tris in Ireland? I'd love to do one of these.

Advertisement