Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clicksilver - uploading?

• 01-07-2004 12:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,018 ✭✭✭✭

Using bittorrent with clicksilver and am wondering are there any caveats to uploading too much information. Are download and upload bandwidths seperate. ie: does 512kb/s downstream, 128kb/s upstream mean you get 640kb/s combined? What's the upload cap for clicksilver?

(Using clicksilver standard as opposed to plus btw).

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

The download and upload are separate. In UTV's case the upload is uncapped but i wouldn't be sure of that lasting forever. Maxing out your upload capacity will affect the speed you download at, because of the way TCP/IP works - when you download packets, acknowledgement packets are sent back up, as a form of flow control. If the ack packets aren't arriving/are late, the sender will slow down as it thinks it is flooding you.

So when using the likes of bit torrent, I always set my upload to be no faster than 12KB/sec. I can usually download at about 52KB/sec that way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,018 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Thanks, my bittorrent download rate quadrupled when I followed that tip :)

Advertisement