Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Botched windows reinstall

Options
  • 01-07-2004 1:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭

Have a dell computer that wouldn't boot windows (kept getting a bluescreen error) so tried to reinstall win xp home...unfortunately the CD was damaged so it didn't do a full reinstall of windows so I had to exit setup

The problem is when i turn on the computer now it doesn't detect either the hard drive or the cd drive and because its win XP home i don't have a floppy disk 2 boot it up and the floppy drive is the only drive it detects on the system

How do I go about fixing this problem and reinstalling windows?
    Cheers
    DE

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ColmOT [MSFT]

IF it can't detect either your HD or CD-ROM, it's not a Windows issue.

Check your BIOS (press F2 when you see the DELL logo) and make sure that they are properly configured in there.

A failed Windows install will not prevent your PC from detecting the HD or CD-ROM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

As Colm said, the OS does not affect the BIOS' ability to boot off a CD. Check the BIOS settings. Clean your WinXP CD (it could help) and try to install off it again.

In future, if your XP install messes up, boot off the XP CD and use the recovery console to attempt to fix the install.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Go in to the BIOS ( press Del. or F2 whatever) and check what it says about the HDD / CD

Press ALT-F to reset defaults reboot, then switch off for 5 minutes then restart. - then check BIOS again.

If you have not opened the case ring DELL - If you have opened the case then reseat the cables, disconnect drives so only one connected - see if it is deteected.

DON'T FORGET if the boot sequence/priority is HDD then CD, and the boot sector on the HDD has a problem all you will get is a black screen and it won't try the CD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭daggeredge

It must have erased the drivers because I had to d/load the 6 floppy boot disk! it then started working no probs...
    alright lads thanx 4 the help
    DE

Advertisement