Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Whats the story with insurance on FTO's

Options
  • 01-07-2004 1:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭

I've been trying to get a quote for a Mitsubishi FTO for a few days now and nobody will touch it! I'm 27, 4 years no claims bonus. I can get a quote on pretty much anything else but not one of these, even a 1.8 litre version. They'll quote me on a celica GT-R or GT-4 either of which are at least as powerful. Doesn't make any sense...anyone here got an FTO insured?

Duke

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭DivX

I found the same thing when i went about insurance, the only place i could get a quote from was from St.Paul.

Friend has one and must say it's fairly quick off the line, almost as good as the GTO he was going to replace it with....

Did you buy or plan to?

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭DukeDredd

Well i had planned to and thought i'd get insurance no bother, it's the first time in a long while that an online quote has come back with nothing. I can even get a reasonable quote on a Supra! It doesn't seem like much of a problem to come about an FTO and now i know why! What age is your mate?

Duke

• Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭tinofapples

Duke ,
    What's a "reasonable quote on a Supra! " ? Nice enough car the FTO's but I always though a little pricey for the age .

Duke, I'm 31...

Asked the guy who owns the FTO and he said he was insured through a broker but that it's Hibernian thats covering his insurance.

Quotes i got online were around €1.7K on a GTO, M3 evo and on the FTO! (woundn't be a quarter of that in the UK).

The positives for the FTO was that it returned around 34mpg and the road tax wasn't mad like the GTO, M3 which were coming in at over 1,300.(Fto was €539) and that it produced in excess of 200bhp out of a 2ltr without a turbo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Kersh

I could not get a quote in a GTO, Im 28, 5 years ncb, and Nash wouldn insure my 911 on a classic policy, so I got a garage policy for my work, now Ican drive anyones car, hee hee.
    Back to the question though, the FTO prob isnt listed on insurance company databases cos it was never sold here. My sis works for a brokers, and thats her explanation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭DukeDredd

What's a "reasonable quote on a Supra! " ?

On a Supra i can get a quota from Hibernian for approx €1700...

Originally posted by Kersh
    the FTO prob isnt listed on insurance company databases cos it was never sold here.

That sounds like the most logical reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 973 ✭✭✭Gmodified

Originally posted by Kersh
    the FTO prob isnt listed on insurance company databases cos it was never sold here. [/B]

so the other cars like

Honda Beat /4dr 93-98 integra which was never listed here and can be insured

and other bunch of JDMs

maybe explanation of some but not the case

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Kersh

Anytime I went to get a quote for the GTO, all they kept asking me was....is it a 3000gt, then they wouldn accept it was a 1991, cos they only came out here in 92. They couldn find a GTO on their database. Cos its jdm, same with n/a GTO, 300zx, supra...cos they only came here in tt form.
    The guy in the insurance place is probably just too lazy to look for a quote. Sis says that happens a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 973 ✭✭✭Gmodified

yeah , i know that that broker sometimes don't want to do it. It's the best to talk to big guys or St.Paul as they do mad car everyday

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭DrummerBoy

Oh well.

I was looking into getting a FTO too. Looks like it's not going to be too easy to insure.
    :(

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Kaskade

Im insured with quinn on mine but they say they wont take on any more FTO business for some reason, Its a reasonable premium €1300 for 24 yr old male with full licence and 3 yrs NCB, Thats for a 2L v6 GR

See www.fto-ireland.com for more info on fto's

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Insurance companies are mad. They wouldn't quote me on a GTO, but I got a quote of 2,800 on a twin turbo Supra. Keep shoping. Sometimes your current insurance company will quote you on cars they wouldn't normally insure just because you're an existing customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

The FTO is a very quick car but has crap brakes. The price of them also fell thru the floor a few years ago so every eejit bought one and half of them crashed it. I'd not be surprised its hard to get insurance on :)

Advertisement