Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fe-tale

Options
  • 01-07-2004 1:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭

a very female tale

I just finished reading 'Red Tent' last night (damned if I can remember who it was written by! I'll edit it in when I can) And it was amazing! Never have I thought about womanhood, girlhood or motherhood in the way this book puts down. I loved it so much that all i wanted to do was share it with my boyfriend (a big reader) but realsied there is just no way for him as a male to appreciate it. I've never known a book to be exclusive before! However it remains truly excellent. Did anyone else find it so revealing to a different train of thought?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Bibliofemme

It's by Anita Diamant. A couple of the other girls in the bookclub read it and raved about it, they said it was amazing so it's definitely one I want to read at some point.

*sigh* So many books...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Your boyfriend might like it, people should try an be more open-minded with books, not just read the same kind of stuff all the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭karma kabbage

Everytime I try to put down in words just what I felt when reading the book I can't quite pin-point it!! My honey (it's actually his mother's copy of the book that I borrowed) prolly would indeed like it. It's well written with interesting characters and a very good story. Plus he and I have very similar taste in books and films, in fact we rarely deviate. BUT (ay there's the rub) I don't think he could understand how I felt when reading it. when they talk about childbirth (for example) I shed tears!!! Granted I cry easily but I don't like sprogs at all, Not a maternal lass! But it was just so compassionate and moving that I truly felt their joy! I not certain that any man, no matter how open minded, can be moved by that in quite the same way or for the same reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

hmmm, if it was written in the style of a 1930's detective story you could call it a femme fe-tale.....(sorry!)

Out of curiosity, what is the book? A story of a woman? true or fictional? A lecture-type piece on womanliness?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭karma kabbage

:rolleyes: femme fe-tale?! Tut tut tut!!

You have (i assume) heard of the biblical character Joseph? Not the carpenter with Mary but as in the technicolour dream coat. was sold into slavery by his brothers and deciphered dreams for the pharoh in ancient Eygpt? Well the story is of Dinah, sister of Joseph. It starts with their mothers, the four wives of jacob and how they came to be a family. It continues on to talk of how the family developes and grows focusing primarily on the women folk. The red tent was the menstrual tent into which they women were banished at 'that time'! But that which sounds awful now is depicted as a time of relaxing and fun. The women lounged around, drinking wine and eating sweets and passing along all the stories of their family.

Dinah grows up and what was once a prosperous family becomes undone when a great evil is done and Dinah's life changes. Hmmm, I'm making it sound corny, which it isn't but it easily could have been, like if I'd written it for example! Luckily Anita D is a skilled writer.

• Advertisement
Advertisement