Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New United Signing

• 01-07-2004 3:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭

Have to admit I have never heard of him. Also what exactly do they mean by "gigantic centre back"? Is he 6'6 or 6'7? Anyway he is another addition to the squad. Time will tell.

http://www.skysports.com/skysports/article/0,,7-1141200,00.html

Manchester United are to complete the signing of Gerard Pique from Barcelona, as previously reported on skysports.com.
    The talented young defender has agreed a five-year contract with Sir Alex Ferguson's side after meeting with the United manager this week.

Although it was a difficult decision to leave Camp Nou, the gigantic centre back is excited by the prospect of continuing his development at Old Trafford.

"There have been seven years of my life where I have learned and enjoyed my football with Barca and I would not change that for anything in the world," he told El Mundo Deportivo.

"But a new phase of my life begins now.

"It took a lot to make the decision to leave Barca. I was very happy here and had never thought about changing club but, after looking at the options, speaking with my parents and my grandfather, who has also helped me a lot, it was a suitable time for me."

Pique believes first team opportunities may be more forthcoming in England, but harbours a desire to return to Barcelona one day.

"I hope the doors will always be open (to a return)," he stated. "It would please me to return to wear the Azulgrana shirt.

"In England, the age does not matter so much while here in Spain there is a structure and there are very few chances to break through."

His grandfather, Amador Bernabeu, a famous figure in Barca's history, was sad to see the teenager leave but gave his full backing to the switch.

"My dream has always been that Gerard succeeded at Barcelona," he complained. "After 20 years as an executive I was looking for the continuity of the family in Barca, but you must accept what life brings you.

"His move is an enormous displeasure because he is not able to continue at Barcelona and it's a great shame the way things have gone."

United beat off competition from Arsenal to land the highly-rated prospect, who adds to the number of promising centre backs in the ranks of the FA Cup winners.

American prodigy Jonathan Spector is not far away from the first team squad and Wicklow-born Paul McShane is another being tipped for the top by Red Devils insiders.

United confirmed the signing on Thursday afternoon.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

what they mean by gigantic is he's 17 very tall and broad , and command a defence like Bobo Balde , a very good signing I beleive .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭Dewey

I heard a few months ago United were looking to sign him but they couldnt agree a fee so with Bernabeu turning down a new deal they had no choice but to sell.
    I dont know alot about him but i think Fergie doesnt want to be short at the back like last season. I would love to see Paul McShane get a few games next season, i've heard nothing but good things about him.

Next on the Old Trafford shopping list:

Wayne Rooney. £40Million. lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

Would this not put O'Shea's chances in jeapordy, especially when ferdinand comes back into the fold?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Look at the lads full name ,he be killed if he stayed at Barca :)

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

Originally posted by Tellox
    Would this not put O'Shea's chances in jeapordy, especially when ferdinand comes back into the fold?

i'd imagine so, thats 2 new signings that compete with o'shea

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭Dewey

O'shea will have to say to himself right, i have a fight on my hands for my place in the team so i need to step it up to another level like i did in my first season.

We will see what type of player o'shea really is this season. i know he is a class player but will he be able to keep his place and play brilliantly like he did in his first season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

O'Shea can play in a few positions so he should get a few games. He's better at RB than LB AFAIK and Neville has no competition for that slot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Barcelona have reported to FIFA over Man United signing Pique illegally .

He was tapped up while still in contract .

This will just mean Man United will have to pay a relatively small fee in compensation .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

hes only 17, so is likely one for the future rather than serious competition atm

Advertisement