Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hopes for the next year or two

• 01-07-2004 3:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 34

So what is actually going to/should happen within the aforementioned period of time in relation to Irelands Broadband scene?

Can we expect 1/2mbps lines at current/mainstream prices?And whats all this about NTL promising uncapped cable on a nationwide basis before 2006?

I think its only when you experience broadband that you see the potential and want MORE!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Originally posted by Arsemonger
    Can we expect 1/2mbps lines at current/mainstream prices?And whats all this about NTL promising uncapped cable on a nationwide basis before 2006?
    I think they hope to have most of their existing cabled areas (Dublin, Waterford, Galway) upgraded by then - not the entire country.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

unfortunately i can see things moving at a snails pace, in two years time most of the countryside areas will still be 56k only or some wireless efforts around, the majority of towns and villages with 1500+ populations will have broadband by then tho and I think there will still be very few broadband options for the home user with perhaps a 1mb offering, 2mb if we are really lucky and those treaded caps will still be in place only slightly larger than they are today. Many ppl who have 512k broadband today will find that there lines will fail for 1mb and 2mb broadband because of distances and inferior lines. By 2 years time all other countries like UK, Holland, Germany etc will have 10mb and 20mb lines for the home user available id imagine, Ireland takes 1 step forward and everyone else takes 10 steps forward again it seems. It took us 5 years to get a percentage of the country on 512k broadband, I dont think another 2 years time is gonna see any big difference from now except a higher percentage of broadband availability in towns and large villages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

Very pessimistic gonzo :)

Fibre is now available in dublin and most of the live MANS in the country, and the pricing and availbility will only improve, its already possible to get a 1:1 2Mbps fibre install to your door in Dublin from 500 a month. New entrants to the DSL market should be online before the end of the year, offering new and maybe even innovative dsl products, and there are many wireless operators and schemes furiously working away and getting bandwidth to the masses. Not exactly sweden, but we are -slowly- getting there :)

Stephen

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

My reply was more to do with eircoms dsl offerings and the resell companys like iol,utv etc. I didnt mention NTL cable as thats a seperate issue for Dublin, Waterford and Galway and is already much better than current dsl. nor did i mention the MANS I dont know what that means for the home user? My town is on the programme to have a MAN installed, im 2.3km from the centre of the village and have no idea will it effect me or not or will it just be on certain roads in a town centre etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

by the time we have 1 or 2mbps as standard, the residents of Dungarvan, Co. Waterford will have 50mbit cable available to them :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement