Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tractors on trailers

Options
  • 01-07-2004 4:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭

Is it illeagal for a car/jeep to draw a tractor on a trailer? I see a few assholes doing this and I fear for everyone on the roads should one of these turn over.

any thoughts?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I would imagine there's a law somewhere regarding the maximum towing weight allowed by a vehicle of a certain type.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Farls

depends on the trailer, if its a twin axle then it must be a jeep that pulls it, but if its a single axle trailer its ok for a car to pull it

Although the weight of a tractor would make it close to impossible for a car to pull, and definitley leave it unable to stop should it gather speed.

Farlz

• Registered Users Posts: 8,388 ✭✭✭BrianD3

depends on the trailer, if its a twin axle then it must be a jeep that pulls it, but if its a single axle trailer its ok for a car to pull it
    The number of axles is irrelevant. What matters is the weight of the trailer and the max permissable towing weight of the towing vehicle. It is true to say that most single axle trailers are pretty light while many twins are pretty heavy. However some twins are very light. One of the advantages of a twin is that it is easier to reverse in a straight line and is also possibly more stable which is the reason that many people prefer this type of trailer.

As well as the weights, other factors to consider when towing are whether the trailer is heavy enough to need its own brakes and whether the driver needs an EB licence. The rules concerning trailers have been covered in depth in this forum on a couple of occasions. Might be an idea to put them in a sticky.

To go back to the original question: if someone is towing a tractor with a jeep or car there is a very good chance that they are breaking some of the rules. They may be exceeding the max towing weight of the towing vehicle (very likely given the weight of even a small tractor) the trailer may not have any brakes, the driver may not have an EB licence (which he almost certainly will need) the max design g.v.w of the trailer may be exceeded by putting a tractor on it etc. etc.

Something needs to be done about trailer law breaking in this country. The current situation is a shambles.

BrianD3

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Originally posted by BrianD3
    Something needs to be done about trailer law breaking in this country. The current situation is a shambles.

Name one motoring law in ireland that is properly enforced!

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭DukeDredd

Jees Bond-007 - take it easy man - i think theres alot worse happening on our roads than a coupla people hauling a tractor somewhere. If you're so worried then go to the local Garda station and find out. I think calling them assholes is a bit unfair when you are unsure if they were breaking the law or not.

Duke

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Bonds a little sensitive at the moment towards country
    bunkin type road users.....

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I hate all you tractor driving mother****ers.

I work somewhere that's 12 miles out the country from where I live. The road is ****ty so I invariably get stuck behind some mucker in a tractor doing 15MPH. If only they'd pull into the side every now and then to let the masses of faster traffic behind them pass, there's plenty of places to do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Originally posted by mike65
    Bonds a little sensitive at the moment towards country
    bunkin type road users.....

Mike.

Ah no Mike! :)

I just saw a guy drawing a huge tractor on a trailer and it looked like the trailer was going to pass out the jeep esp on the down hills:D

Will have a word with the local cops and find out the real story and report back here:)

The road is ****ty so I invariably get stuck behind some mucker in a tractor doing 15MPH.

I reckon it's people like you are the reason they don't pull in. If i was on a tractor on a country road i'd get a great laugh out of someone like you going mad in your car behind me wanting to pass. Whats your rush of the road is so crappy anyway.

Duke

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Merrion

I just saw a guy drawing a huge tractor on a trailer and it looked like the trailer was going to pass out the jeep esp on the down hills

About a month ago I was driving to Sligo and a van was coming the other way and as it passed me the horsebox it was pulling along detached and careered across the road. Very lucky not to hit anyone as it would have totalled them. Don't know if the horse was so lucky.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Dukedredd: I drive a bike, not a car. The rush is to get to work on time, duh.

The road is **** but its not so **** that the maximum safe speed one could do is 15MPH, its just hard to overtake safely unless someone pulls in.

its just hard to overtake safely unless someone pulls in.

Ah i see - you want priority on the road because your work is more important than everyone elses. Thanks for explaining.

Duke

Advertisement