Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stop Certain user accounts logging onto pc??

Options
  • 01-07-2004 4:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭

hi

is there any way to stop certain domain accounts logging onto an xp machine.

I want to allow normal user accounts to log onto the machine, but block a few "shared logins" i have.

thanks!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Disable or delete the accounts you don't want to get access.

start->run->compmgmt.msc

edit: erk, didn't notice the domain bit above. in that case... no idea :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

in user manager on NT4 domains you can set users so they can only logon from a list of up to 8 PC's (though probobal y does not applhy tp wi 95/98 clients)

again in NT on the local machine the are advanced rights including "log on locally" - could not be arsed trying to figure where it's moved in 2k/xp pro since they have probably renamed it too.

If you have XP Home M$marketing have caused domain interaction to be hamstrung (and I suspect it's affecting XP pro too... )

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ChipZilla

Umm, there's nothing wrong with XP Pro machines on a domain.:confused::confused::confused:

Gryzor, You can restrict the machines the user account logs onto in AD. Remember to delete the profile off the machine or the user can just pull the network cable out of the back and log in locally.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Originally posted by ChipZilla
    Umm, there's nothing wrong with XP Pro machines on a domain.:confused::confused::confused:

Then why is only XP PRO machines won't run the NT login scripts on first logon - even win95 does, XP home aint supposed to.

BTW: technet says it may be caused by a slow connection - we've had the problem at 10Mb/100Mb and 1GB

That's policies (or lack of them) for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Gryzor

Gryzor, You can restrict the machines the user account logs onto in AD. Remember to delete the profile off the machine or the user can just pull the network cable out of the back and log in locally.

knew i'd seen that somewhere before!!!.....think that only allows u to specify what machines an account can logon to rather than which ones it can't.

i thought it would have been easy enough through the local computer policy to restrict a certain account from logging on....maybe not!!

Quite right Gryzor - you can only allow, not deny.

Looks like it's policy editing time so... I think it;s 'Windows Settings' -> 'Security Settings' -> 'Local Policies', and then either 'User Rights' or 'Security'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Gryzor

Quite right Gryzor - you can only allow, not deny.

Looks like it's policy editing time so... I think it;s 'Windows Settings' -> 'Security Settings' -> 'Local Policies', and then either 'User Rights' or 'Security'

yeah tried that earlier...only saw a "Deny Logon Locally" option...feckin windoze..:mad:

Advertisement