Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Moped abount to go back to the future

Options
  • 01-07-2004 4:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭

Ahem, there's a bloke I know who got all the restrictors taken out of his moped ,

I , eh i mean he dropped it into a professional place to get the job done (rather than tinker around myself) anyway it was an inline funnel restrictor in the exhaust (leaving a hole about the size of a bic before removal)

So earlier today before the unrestriction i was getting about 23mph (i aint fat by the way , quite slim) into the wind and maybe 30mph on the downhill stretch.

Now after getting the restrictors taken out I can easily hit 53mph (no bull , this is why i'm worried) when i went to test it out after picking the bike up i accelerated so bloody quick i was forced to overtake the cars in front of me (sorry officer)

Now I'm wondering about 3 possible problems

1) is my engine going to go up in flames (and how cool will this look) ?

2) is it easy to pick up speeding tickets on a bike , can they train the radar gun on you ?? (especially if your wobbling side to side giving them the finger)

3) if I go downhill and hit 83mph will I go back to the Future ?

seriously though , what dangers are there to the engine given the massive increase in performance , will I burn out the bottom end , do i need to have it restrcited in the clutch to limit to say 40mph

and is there anywhere aside from the ISM that I can get a few practical riding tips, like when to use the back brake etc ??? are bikers friendly to moped users and will pass on this info on for the price of a few pints ?

cheers in advance for the info

Fionn (in 1983)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭echomadman

You're safe enough at 83mph, the flux capacitor kicks in at 88.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭OLDYELLAR

holy **** a 50cc?
    i want that donr to mine, mad!it seriously does 83??

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Originally posted by Fionn101
    is it easy to pick up speeding tickets on a bike
    only if you are (sorry, your friend) speeding!
    If you are looking for more power, why not just get a proper bike?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

53mph on a moped?

Better put a deposit on a grave now, won't be long.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Fionn101

old yeller : no it only does 53 mph, unless i can find the turbo boost button.

kbannon : i didn't want this much speed , it's just what the bike does after the restrictors were taken off , i'm thinking this is too much power and REALLY bad for the engine

seamus: thanks for the kind words, always uplifting.

Does anyone know the mechanical effects this will have on the engine , and should i get the clutch restrictor put back in to limit to around 40mph ?? (i'm thinking this would be safer)

anyone ??? bueller ? bueller ...

Fionn

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭Haket

Its an easy answer really, you've doubled (or more) the power output of your machine so most every component in your engine will wear quicker. As will your tyres and brakes, fuel consumption will rocket and small children will cry when you pass.

You gets what you pays for, IMHO if you want to be doing over 40mph, then sell the 'ped and buy a cheap 125 bike that'll handle those speeds ssooooooo much better.

G'luk with it. Also for training contact IRTA wo will put you in touch with a local instructor

http://www.irishridertraining.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 973 ✭✭✭Gmodified

well, engine is not going to last long

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

De-restricting your engine will mean the following:
    (Some points already noted out)

Your brake pads will wear quicker, as will your tyres
    Your fuel consumption will go up (no more 3 a week sonny!)
    Your exhaust will sound rattlier in time

Most importantly, if you run at higher rev's for long periods of time, you will run down your pistons, possibly seizing them. This is a small job for a mechanic, but they will still fleece you.

Also, on a last note, should you crash the 'ped and have to claim, your bike *could* be subject to an assessment. If its found you removed the restrictors, your insurance *could* be invalidated (Please note i am not CERTAIN about this, its just what I heard)

Hope this helps.. On a final note, be careful doing 53MPH on a moped. I used to be scared enough doing 53mph on my bike, and it had a 17" rear wheel... what does a 'ped have.... 12"?

I'm not so sure that you'd have increased the power TOO much. These 'peds are artificially restricted to comply with nasty legalities, not because the engine would explode if allowed to generate that extra 3hp.

Its just that a higher engine tune means more wear and tear. Anyhow its a two stroke engine, its supposed to be rebored/get new pistons+rings every now and then. Just that now it'll be more often.

Use good quality oil and enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,518 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

...and of course, if a member of the Gardai catches you with his hair-dryer, doing about 53mph on a 50cc moped, he's going to be might curious. :D

The Gardai do not have the necessary equipment to verify that the machine has been un-restricted, but the proof is in the 1/2 ton..

Oh, and don't give them the finger.. They don't like that.. :)

• Advertisement

thanks for the advice all ,

I am booked into the bike shop next week , i'll ask him to clutch limit to 40mph which is more than enough for city driving, for any longer journeys i'll use the car.

Fionn

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Or you could save yourself the time and money of bringing it to a mechanic by simply holding back on the throttle? (Easier said than done i know)

aye john I tried the cheaper option alright , it;s just there's only about 3cm of throttle play between keeping it at 40 and full blast (bringing me up to 55mph)

which ends up with slight burst of acceleration , throttle off , burst again etc, and gunning the engine makes for an uncomfortable ride,

cheers though

Fionn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Tommy Vercetti

don't worry about the engine, hairdryers are cheap in Argos these days

wow, real helpful . and by far the funniest thing I have EVER read

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Tommy Vercetti

then you need to read a LOT more

will you quit with the sh!t witty remarks , it's annoying at the least .

ehh can we close this thread please , thanks to all for the helpful answers

• Registered Users Posts: 5,399 ✭✭✭ando

isn’t this equilivent to putting a turbo on a car engine and not telling the insurance company? 5 points aint it on da license

ehh yeah it would be , but i haven't insured it yet , only just got it ,

it will have to be declared alright , most likely as the bhp +3 afaik

those who do modify their cars / bikes and don't declare this are only fooling themselves imo.

cheers

Fionn

Decided to update this for anyone de-restricting their moped.

Haket wrote:
    I'm not so sure that you'd have increased the power TOO much. These 'peds are artificially restricted to comply with nasty legalities, not because the engine would explode if allowed to generate that extra 3hp.

well this seemed the most accurate reply I received. The bike is going fine after all this time.

I do go through the brakepads a bit quicker , but this is a 20 minute job. pistons are all fine and speed is still there.

Also Kbannon wrote :
    If you are looking for more power, why not just get a proper bike?

I wasn't looking for more power originally , the bike was very slow ( microsoft slow) so I felt forced to de-restrict it .

Had a Virago until recently , didnt like it at all, I will get a bigger bike when I track down the kettle racer I want. but mopeds fit between car lanes , and for city driving they are fast enough. It's main use is for getting me to work when I sleep in and it does this task wonderfully , bless.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭IrishRover

Nice one for the update. Always interesting to find out what happened in the end.

Oh ohhh, you've just jinx'd it :-) expect an piston seize on the way home !

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Lets hope they dont discover the CDI restriction :D

Advertisement