Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stop fighting over my money ad...

• 01-07-2004 5:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,669 ✭✭✭

strange-ad.jpg

This ad is from the back page of this week's RTE Guide.
    Is it "for real" or some kind of fucked-up advertising campaign for God knows what...?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Looks like an ad campaign alright. I think the giveaway is the subtley professional way it's done, and also the blanked out car reg in the back. Anyone know if it's to do with Fair City or some other crap soap?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,036 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Maybe it's from some old people's charity or something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

also the subtle underlining of is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭hostyle

Originally posted by tba
    also the subtle underlining of is

Some people call that emphasis . Some people on the other hand don't get it, and blame it on non-existent conspiracies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I just think it's kinda sad tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Little does she know, I own all the magazines and I'm getting all her money right now.:D

I don't even have to wait until the old bag is dead and I won't have to share it with you greedy fúckers. :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 458 ✭✭shurl

Hmm, photo doesn't seem to be from Ireland.
    Car reg plates look like the US ones.?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

while it does look like an ad, what on earth could it be advertising??

are they gonna have a follow up which is a reply from her family saying 'fúck you, ye old bag, we don't need your money, we've got cool, refreshing Coke'??

flogen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 458 ✭✭shurl

Originally posted by flogen
    are they gonna have a follow up which is a reply from her family saying 'fúck you, ye old bag, we don't need your money, we've got cool, refreshing Coke'??
    ROFL

Wouldn't be surprised tbh.

S.

It's in this month's Hot Press as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by Sleepy

And 'In Dublin'

Why doesn't someone ring them and ask what it's about? I would but I don't have a copy of either magazines to hand.

Edit: just mailed in dublin, i'll post here if I get a reply

Is it any "non-trendy" magazines? I think that's the proof that it's an ad campaign.

That was quick! Just got this from In Dublin:

Hi Joanne,
    Thanks for your interest – you wouldn’t BELIEVE the interest we’ve had in Bernie!
    She’s not real, and she is part of an ad campaign but we haven’t got a clue where it’s coming from. It’s a teaser campaign – it’s going somewhere, but we don’t have a clue where!
    Thanks a million
    Ciara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,669 ✭✭✭DMT

Originally posted by seamus
    Is it any "non-trendy" magazines? I think that's the proof that it's an ad campaign.
    Since when did the RTE Guide become "trendy"??? :confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭s8n

I broke myself laughing at this the first time I saw it. Brilliant. If it is real, then fair dues to ya Bernie.

Originally posted by s8n
    If it is real, then fair dues to ya Bernie.

It's not real. See my last post.

Originally posted by DMT
    Since when did the RTE Guide become "trendy"??? :confused::confused::confused:
    Sorry, popular. That is, you're not going to see the Ad in "Carpets Today" or "Elderly Living" (if they existed).

I reckon it's a teaser for a new reailty TV show,"Convince the old woman to leave all her money to you before she dies".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 233 ✭✭istep

It is real and sadly bernie is no longer with us. A tragic gardening accident .... which her son John has asked me to point out he was in Finglas at the time of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 g-girl

"PPA Ireland (Periodical Publishers Association of Ireland) has touched a social nerve in the last week with their exciting and innovative campaign 'Bernie'. The campaign features a fictional character Bernie, who chose to spend all of her money on magazine advertising in order to get her message across.

The concept was conceived to demonstrate the power and effectiveness of Magazine advertising in Irish products.

From day one of the campaign, publishers' phones were jammed as hundreds of calls flooded in from the general public. Interest grew even further as the campaign was rolled out across a wide number of magazines servicing both general and niche markets. The tremendous reaction 'copper fastened' PPA Ireland's slogan that "Magazines get you closer".

Most readers offered their support for Bernie, some offered gifts and others simply wanted to know more. As the intrigue surrounding Bernie gathered momentum, national and regional radio stations and newspapers were also contacted by a curious public.

In the last quarter of 2003 PPA Ireland carried out two major pieces of research into the effectiveness and efficiency of advertising on the island of Ireland. This independent research clearly demonstrated that magazine advertising has a closer, more personal relationship with consumers. The purpose of this campaign was to bring this research to life.

The campaign was devised and managed by Cawley Nea\TBWA. "

HTH

Anyone else kinda pissed off with this kind of "advertising"?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,234 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

no - I've only seen the ad here as I don't get the magazines et al where it appeared...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Yes. It serves no purpose, exploits people's emotions, and just isn't amusing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

but it got people talking about it - that the main aim of advertising..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

To what end? It'll be completely forgotten in a month or two.

It's just downright exploitative - aiming an ad at the general public which is of interest only to those in marketing or advertising (and who should kill themselves as suggested by Bill Hicks :) ). Tugging at their emotions and making light of a genuine problem experience by many elderly people in this country. Would love to know if they could be shopped to the advertising standards board.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 g-girl

Im afraid they are well within their rights. I work for an advertising company and it is all above board.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

"By the way if anyone here is in advertising or marketing... kill yourself. No, no, no it's just a little thought. I'm just trying to plant seeds. Maybe one day, they'll take root - I don't know. You try, you do what you can. Kill yourself. Seriously though, if you are, do. Aaah, no really, there's no rationalisation for what you do and you are Satan's little helpers, Okay - kill yourself - seriously. You are the ruiner of all things good, seriously. No this is not a joke, you're going, "there's going to be a joke coming," there's no ****ing joke coming. You are Satan's spawn filling the world with bile and garbage. You are ****ed and you are ****ing us. Kill yourself. It's the only way to save your ****ing soul, kill yourself. Planting seeds. I know all the marketing people are going, "he's doing a joke... there's no joke here whatsoever. Suck a tail-pipe, ****ing hang yourself, borrow a gun from a friend - I don't care how you do it. Rid the world of your evil ****ing machinations. I know what all the marketing people are thinking right now too, "Oh, you know what Bill's doing, he's going for that anti-marketing dollar. That's a good market, he's very smart." Oh man, I am not doing that. You ****ing evil scumbags! "Ooh, you know what Bill's doing now, he's going for the righteous indignation dollar. That's a big dollar. A lot of people are feeling that indignation. We've done research - huge market. He's doing a good thing." Godammit, I'm not doing that, you scum-bags!
    Quit putting a godamm dollar sign on every ****ing thing on this planet!
    "Ooh, the anger dollar. Huge. Huge in times of recession. Giant market, Bill's very bright to do that." God, I'm just caught in a ****ing web! "Ooh the trapped dollar, big dollar, huge dollar. Good market - look at our research. We see that many people feel trapped. If we play to that and then separate them into the trapped dollar..." How do you live like that? And I bet you sleep like ****ing babies at night, don't you?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Originally posted by Sarky
    To what end? It'll be completely forgotten in a month or two.

it was completely forgotten about till i saw this thread again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭da_deadman

I think it was very clever and well done

...but then again, I am a Marketing student...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Originally posted by da_deadman

Ironic nick then :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 lurlow

It will cease to matter when Bernie is found and strangled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Originally posted by Stephen
    "By the way if anyone here is in advertising or marketing... kill yourself. No, no, no it's just a little thought. I'm just trying to plant seeds. Maybe one day, they'll take root - I don't know. You try, you do what you can. Kill yourself. Seriously though, if you are, do. Aaah, no really, there's no rationalisation for what you do and you are Satan's little helpers, Okay - kill yourself - seriously. You are the ruiner of all things good, seriously. No this is not a joke, you're going, "there's going to be a joke coming," there's no ****ing joke coming. You are Satan's spawn filling the world with bile and garbage. You are ****ed and you are ****ing us. Kill yourself. It's the only way to save your ****ing soul, kill yourself. Planting seeds. I know all the marketing people are going, "he's doing a joke... there's no joke here whatsoever. Suck a tail-pipe, ****ing hang yourself, borrow a gun from a friend - I don't care how you do it. Rid the world of your evil ****ing machinations. I know what all the marketing people are thinking right now too, "Oh, you know what Bill's doing, he's going for that anti-marketing dollar. That's a good market, he's very smart." Oh man, I am not doing that. You ****ing evil scumbags! "Ooh, you know what Bill's doing now, he's going for the righteous indignation dollar. That's a big dollar. A lot of people are feeling that indignation. We've done research - huge market. He's doing a good thing." Godammit, I'm not doing that, you scum-bags!
    Quit putting a godamm dollar sign on every ****ing thing on this planet!
    "Ooh, the anger dollar. Huge. Huge in times of recession. Giant market, Bill's very bright to do that." God, I'm just caught in a ****ing web! "Ooh the trapped dollar, big dollar, huge dollar. Good market - look at our research. We see that many people feel trapped. If we play to that and then separate them into the trapped dollar..." How do you live like that? And I bet you sleep like ****ing babies at night, don't you?"

Sorry Bill, $$$, $$$, $$$

Originally posted by da_deadman
    I think it was very clever and well done

What is clever about taking the piss out of old ladies?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

If they published an ad saying 'magazine advertising can get people talking,' how many people would have looked twice at it, never mind wilfully spread the message for them?

By doing what they did they've brought the ad, and in turn the point of the ad, to the attention of a lot more people than those that even saw the actual ad in the magazines. They've advertised the message and proved the veracity of the message in one fell swoop, that's what smart about it.

Personally I don't see anything particularly offensive about the ad itself, the concept preys upon both the instinctive guilt felt by individuals when they can't help but wonder how big their slice is going to be of an eldery relative's estate, and the unwillingness of old ladies to spend their money before they've kicked the bucket in abject poverty and left it to their ungrateful progeny!

Originally posted by impr0v
    If they published an ad saying 'magazine advertising can get people talking,' how many people would have looked twice at it, never mind wilfully spread the message for them?

By doing what they did they've brought the ad, and in turn the point of the ad, to the attention of a lot more people than those that even saw the actual ad in the magazines. They've advertised the message and proved the veracity of the message in one fell swoop, that's what smart about it.

Personally I don't see anything particularly offensive about the ad itself, the concept preys upon both the instinctive guilt felt by individuals when they can't help but wonder how big their slice is going to be of an eldery relative's estate, and the unwillingness of old ladies to spend their money before they've kicked the bucket in abject poverty and left it to their ungrateful progeny!
    It would be illegal to use this technique to sell a product or service, ergo the point being made is mute...

• Advertisement

In case you hadn't noticed they were using it to sell a product/service; magazine advertising.

And I presume you mean 'moot'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

They do this sort of thing every couple of years or so...

It was bill boards the last time I remember... Everyone rather stupidly thought the campaign would reveal the end of the world or something...

I can't actually remember the content of the bill board... it did feature a big red sunset though.. anyone else remember this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Originally posted by monkeyfudge
    I can't actually remember the content of the bill board... it did feature a big red sunset though.. anyone else remember this?

Yes, there was some cryptic words on the billboards - and gave a date when something was supposed to happen (14th of Feb is stuck in my mind for some reason????) I was in school at the time, so it must have been in the late 80's.

Originally posted by impr0v
    In case you hadn't noticed they were using it to sell a product/service; magazine advertising.
    No, they were trying to prove how "effective" marketing can be - they weren't actually advertising any specific product or service...

And I presume you mean 'moot'.
    Pedantic

Originally posted by DMT
    No, they were trying to prove how "effective" marketing can be - they weren't actually advertising any specific product or service...

Why were they trying to prove how effective it was?
    You claimed that this method of advertising is illegal, it isn't.

Agreed.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Big Ed loves Mona

Maud Frickert

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

If I were one of her relations I'd just have the bitch shot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

What is clever about taking the piss out of old ladies?

Sir, as a hard working Kidney Dialysis machine I take offence at that remark.

rofl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭fizzynicenice

Originally posted by Kold
    If I were one of her relations I'd just have the bitch shot.
    Dude? harsh much?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

REALPOLITIK.

Advertisement