Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RADSL range

• 01-07-2004 8:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭

Hello all,
    I was thinkin' about the pain in the ass that is lack of broadband when I remembered something about a 3.56 mile limit on DSL. I worked out the distance from the exchange and at a conservative estimate was 3.48 miles. I also have found out that houses 500 yards closer also cannot get it. Wat's going on?

Thanx:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

the cable could be looping 10 miles for all you know. Its nothing to do with walking distance

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I heard it was 3.5km, not 3.5miles but I could be wrong.... the range for radsl in the uk is nearly 7km as they have decent phonelines/networks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭BKtje

it is killometers and as the cable snakes not the crow flies. Also i thought radsl was closer to 5k limit?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Im well aware of the fact that walking distance is not a good measure but due to the topography of my area and the way theoverground wires run i think my guess is right. The wires at the end of my road go underground. The end of my road is at the old N1 (R132). Same story for all other roads in the area. The R132 eventually runs directly alongside the exchange.
    Btw how do u tell if ur line is split wit a neighbour?

Thanx again!

Btw how do u tell if ur line is split wit a neighbour?

A good indication would be crap connect speeds on a modem.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Originally posted by Gonzo
    I heard it was 3.5km, not 3.5miles but I could be wrong.... the range for radsl in the uk is nearly 7km as they have decent phonelines/networks.

3.5km in Ireland

up to 10km in the UK in trials in Milton Keynes.

M

Connection speeds on my modem are 44kbps at lowest. Usually is 45.2-46.6. record is 50.3. No problem there

Btw there is a dect cordless phone in the house. I know these affect connection speeds but that dosen't explain why everyone along the telephone line up to 500 yards closer to the exchange cannot receive DSL.

Bye:)

PS 3.48 miles is around 5.6km

Forgot to mention, is RADSL not longer than 3.5 km?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

in most countries its up to 6km away but here in ireland you will be lucky to get it beyond 3.5km depending on how bad the phoneline is from the exchange, between 3km and 3.5km there wud be alot of hit and miss's id imagine.

Advertisement