Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US Bomber to open Galway Air Show

Options
  • 01-07-2004 10:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭

Rumours of B52 flyby at about 2.45 to start the gig off on Sunday. Its supposed to be louder than the B1 they had two years ago......

M

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭pete

did someone tell them carol coleman would be there?

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Mutz

Any website with info of the Airshow?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I look foward to the sight of antiwar protesters jumping up and down trying to distract the pilot or throw stones at a B-52.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭jbkenn

Any website with info of the Airshow?
    And he Googled "salthill airshow" and he got www.salthillairshow.com
    aint this interweb just wonderfull

jbkenn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭chewy

salthillairshow.com i think....

cheek of them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Ooh, I forgot it was on. And by a happy coincidence[1] I'll be in Galway this weekend

/jumps up and down like a little kid.

Salthill it is then. I'll be the one jumping up and down like a little kid, unless I act the adult, in which case I'll be the one with the big ice cream cone.

[1]Happy coincidence for the third weekend running. Hurrah for me

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Mutz

Originally posted by jbkenn
    And he Googled "salthill airshow" and he got www.salthillairshow.com
    aint this interweb just wonderfull

jbkenn

I love Boards.ie. The people are so helpful! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 78,415 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by mike65
    I look foward to the sight of antiwar protesters jumping up and down trying to distract the pilot or throw stones at a B-52.
    And the Al Qaeda lads can meet it with a few SA-7s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

b-52 at the Salthill air show?? great :) i would love to see that !! GO USAF

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Originally posted by thejollyrodger
    b-52 at the Salthill air show?? great :) i would love to see that !! GO USAF

Shame I wont be in Galway this weekend! Pantalonies!

Off Topic, but ...

what's the difference between an Iraqi & British Soldier?

Don't know?

Welcome to the USAF ;)

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Originally posted by Muck
    Rumours of B52 flyby at about 2.45 to start the gig off on Sunday. Its supposed to be louder than the B1 they had two years ago......
    With eight TF33 low-bypass turbofans, I'd imagine so...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,247 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Why is this in politics? So what, it's an American Air Force plane! They're here by invitation and tbh are doing some good for what's become a very quiet holiday destination. Be grateful that the weapons of war are doing some good for a change.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

I'm wondering why its in Politics as well.

I'd like either somewhere to move this, or a reason not to lock it please.

jc

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ChipZilla

Dunno why this is considered political. Maybe Bertie Ahern will get dropped out of the bomb bay, Major 'King' Kong-style:

kongdrop.jpg

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Argh, as soon as I saw this I was about to drop a Dr Strangelove reference. Shot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Maybe it really is time for an aviation board.....

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Maybe it really is time for an aviation board.....
    Mike.
    Bad idea. The last time, the Irish Aviation Bulletin Board was shut down by legal action when someone commented on someone else's dangerous flying...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Meanwhile the Royal Navy has berthed in the docks, the Irish Navy will be on the lash in Foynes this weekend instead ......there is no room for them.

The ship is a River class fishery protection vessel , HMS Mersey. Carries a few machine guns, thats all.

http://www.royal-navy.mod.uk/static/pages/3741.html

M

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Big Shp Muck and only a few machine guns

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Its the only workplace in Galway where you can legally smoke.

They have a LARGE beer tent set up on the aft deck :D ..... /me is scabbing an invite for free gargle tomorrow night .

M

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 645 ✭✭✭TomF

I think I'd have to put attending an air show right up there with attending a horse show or a dog show, or maybe a flower show.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

I took a nice gentle stroll out Salthill after work yesterday. Was greeted by 3 Harriers flying in formation. 2 broke off and 1 carried out the maneuvers for the airshow on Sat. Twas fúcking magic. On my way home I swung into Carnmore (Galway airport). As suspected the harriers were on the landing strip. Only fastjet that could ever land in Galway airport tbh. I suspected they would be there for the weekend as there is a dinner type thingy in the Radisson for them tonight.

There were also 2 Tornado's practicing during the day. Could hear them from work (Tbh they are so loud you'd hear them in Athlone).

First I've heard about a B-52 opening the show and I check the website daily for updates. USAF participation in usually very last minute. I wonder is that the ward off axe wielding housewives?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

Mike.

It is a pity that these Anti War people don't use their influence on SF.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭lynchie

I came home from work last evening at about 7. I live a few minutes from Baldonnell so am use to having the AirCorps and the Garda chopper flying over. All of a sudden I heard a chopper that was a LOT louder than normal. Looked out the window to see a US Black Hawk helicopter flying by.

Could this chopper be making an appearance at the air show?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭JBoyle4eva

I'm convinced that the US military choopers will be there, even though they haven't posted it on the website. They're probably gonna surprise us all!

Can't wait for the RAF red arrows, they're the reason I'm becoming a pilot when I leave school! hope they have some new formations this year.

Also, all us boards.ie members should meet up at it. How about it? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Originally posted by Cork
    It is a pity that these Anti War people don't use their influence on SF.

Why Cork, has Martin Ferris been smuggling giant eight-engined bombers?

Maybe Bertie Ahern should use his influence with Sinn Fein, he's cosy enough with them when it suits.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,415 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Hang on, following Vest-gate, is this just a plan to lull us into a false sense of security before the bombing starts?

Originally posted by therecklessone
    Why Cork, has Martin Ferris been smuggling giant eight-engined bombers?

Maybe Bertie Ahern should use his influence with Sinn Fein, he's cosy enough with them when it suits.

I really have not been keeping tabs on Ferris.

But SF can be as Anti War as they want but for over 30 years it is a pity they were not so anti war.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Originally posted by Cork

But SF can be as Anti War as they want but for over 30 years it is a pity they were not so anti war.

Never stopped Bertie from gurning and shaking Adams' hand when it suits him, has it? Will we see more of that now the Soldiers of Destiny see the republican vote swirling 'round the drain?

• Advertisement

Never stopped Bertie from gurning and shaking Adams' hand when it suits him,

It was FF and the SDLP who encouraged SF to fully embrace democratic principles and abandon the ridiculous statergy of the armalite & ballot box.

All republicans mow accept the consent principle so they won't be too many votes to be got by banging the green drum by anybody.

Now, back to the thread - I personally am aganist these events on safety grounds. But if people want to go & see these planes. I have absolutely no problem.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement