Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

External keyboards for Smartphone / PDAs

Options
  • 19-03-2004 9:11pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 468 ✭✭

Engadget has a photo of the Siemens SX1 with its new virtual laser keyboard attachment.

If anyone get's one of these please let me know how it works. It seems like the combination could be the ultimate solution for my mobile 'computing' needs. :cool:

~~~~~~~~~~~~
    -Jim.
    http://eirepreneur.blogs.com

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

first off, it's a proof of concept device, part of Siemen's 'Innovation' display, so not available in the shops (as yet anyhow!), it's in implementation of the Canesta Keyboard

a camera judges where you type on the infrared laser diode projected keyboard and determines the key pressed. not sure how well it deals with a fast tough typist though, i'm not, but my stab and press approach had it accurately registering my key presses ;)

sx1_laser_keyboard_devices.ie_cebit04.jpg

BrianG

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭whizzbang

Innovative idea! although i'm not sure the tactile feedback on that board will be up to much!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 468 ✭✭trap4

You mean you already got your mits on one of these Brian :eek: I want your job! :D

I'm a touch typist myself, though not a terribly fast one, but I've always thought tactile feedback was overrated. I've used a number of different laptop keyboards, Psion Revo, Palm Stowaway (thanks to Brian) and a few more but tactile feedback was never something that concerned me.

It never seems to bother the Star Trek crews either, does it

:p

Seriously though I'm hoping this thing makes it to market quickly. I had been thinking about getting the upcoming Nokia 7700, not because of any great software advantages over my 3650 but because it offers handwriting recognition and a touch screen keyboard for stylus tapping. T9 is great for speedy texting but I need something better for replying to emails on the road.

~~~~~~~~~~
    -Jim.

i wasn't sure about the 7700, apart from it being a bit of a handful it was almost too much of a 'sytle statement' as they put it, but if you're up for that then great,
    a more conservative/business Smartphone or Converged Phone/PDA device might prove a bit more suitable to everyday practical use though...

7700_front_devices.ie_cebit04.jpg

when i asked how you took a call the guy giving the demo held it up to his head much in the same way as you would an n-gage :dunno:, although at least the memory expansion was accessible externally (without having to remove the battery)

although, if you want to stick with the Series 60 platform, Sendo had a nice collapsible keyboard designed for their X Smartphone which you clip the phone onto and type away

sendo_x_keyboard_devices.ie_cebit04.jpg

BrianG

Originally posted by DubWireless
    i wasn't sure about the 7700...
    7700_front_devices.ie_cebit04.jpg

well looks like the 7700 isn't going to arrive as expected... instead of in Q2 2004 that they mentioned in the announcement release the device's homepage on the Nokia site now states:

"Not commercially available. Used only for piloting of mobile media services with key industry partners."

ref: Nokia Pulls Symbian Media Device...

BrianG

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 468 ✭✭trap4

Thanks Brian. I was initially disappointed to hear about the cancellation, but I I've grown to love Series 60 and now think the that either the Sendo X (with QWERTY keyboard) or that newly announced Nokia 6260 (with QWERTY keyboard) may suit my needs better.

We're getting very close IMHO to having the perfect mobile office in a single device (with optional peripherals) :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    -Jim

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭neXus9

Originally posted by whizzbang
    Innovative idea! although i'm not sure the tactile feedback on that board will be up to much!
    Pretty cool, though they weren't the first to come up with this idea.

there is a post about the Virtual Keyboard product over on Smart Mobile Assets by the moderator of the site - reads like the plot of a TV drama! [source: PocketPCThoughts.com]...
    Virtual Keyboard - The Saga Continues!

BrianG

• Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

BTW, On a different note the Nokia 7700 is not going to be released at all by nokia.

Sean

• Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

ain't that what brian said a few posts up? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

I actually posted in the wrong thread. sorry

have been putting the Stowaway Bluetooth keyboard through it's paces with Symbian UIQ, Series 60 and Pocket PC devices and it's working out pretty well

series60_bt_keyboard_devices.ie.jpg

the Symbian drivers are much more functional than the beta versions they released to work with the Infrared Keyboard late last year - the drivers need a little more tweaking though

there are a few other Bluetooth keyboard models announced but this is the first PDA/Smartphone one shipping

BrianG

Advertisement