Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

windoze messenger drivin me nuts!

Options
  • 01-07-2004 11:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭

Ive just come back from a trip to find that my little brother has ****ed with the computer and messed up windows messenger on me. I think he's deleted or corrupted important files it needs to run.

Due to this I keep getting error messages popping up on my screen telling me that messenger cannot open and must close down. These are constantly popping up on me and wrecking my head!

I've just removed windows messenger from my computer and i'm still getting error messages. Check out this screenshot!

Can anybody shed some light onto the subject? Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Stark

AFAIK Messenger 6.2 these days disables windows messenger on windows startup/internet explorer startup (at last) so you could try installing that on top of things. http://messenger.msn.com

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Chunks

I've tried that but it seems to be corrupted also. When I install msn messenger 6.2 and run it I get an 'add contacts' pop-up which continually pops up until i have about 100 of them on the screen!!

Is this a coincidence or is it related somehow to my other problem?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

sighhh xp-antispy on the stickies

Originally posted by Capt'n Midnight
    sighhh xp-antispy on the stickies

I've looked at that and disabled Windows messenger, but, the error messages keep appearing! Any other suggestions? Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Could be a virus masquerading under the same name. See? I wouldn't necessarily put money on it but I do see that Kazaa Lite icon so something may have arrived through that.

On the other hand, if you're satified it's not a virus and you're running NAV2003 apparently it likes to start the Windows messenger service (as distinct from MSN Messenger) every once in a while if it's monitoring instant messaging. To stop this, in NAV, click Optinos drop down to Internet, Instant Messenger and untick all the little boxes. Obviously this stops instant messaging being monitored so it's a potential win-lose situation.

(time to ask the obvious and potentially insulting question: you are talking about windows messenger rather than MSN messenger yeah? The stupid and largely useless if-not-on-a-network popup messaging service rather than the stupid and largely useless if-not-a-teenager sexay messaging program?)

Have a look through this

• Advertisement

haha, no, i'm talking about windows messenger!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Hmmm, posible simple solution so.

Start, Run, copy and paste this in:

RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\INF\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove

Hit return, reboot and you may be back to square minus one (which is where you want to be)

sound, i'll give you a reply when I get home and try it. Cheers m8

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

You could also try to go to the run command, type msconfig and edit your start up. If you set it so messanger doensn't load then you shouldn't have problems.

Originally posted by MarkR
    You could also try to go to the run command, type msconfig and edit your start up. If you set it so messanger doensn't load then you shouldn't have problems.

could you elaborate a bit more please? I was never any good working in DOS let alone the cmd window. I only realy know how to jar **** and run java progs in it:p .

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭govinda

If you have system restore enabled (I think it is by default), just restore the PC to the state it was in before you went away. Start>>(All) Programs>>Accessories>>System Tools>>System Restore.

Hope that helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,403 ✭✭✭ando

Originally posted by Chunks
    could you elaborate a bit more please? I was never any good working in DOS let alone the cmd window. I only realy know how to jar **** and run java progs in it:p .

Cheers

start, run, msconfig

startup,
    untick that crap messenger thing
    reboot

Originally posted by sceptre

RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\INF\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove

nice one sceptre that seemed to do the trick. No more error messages popping up. Appreciate it.

Just one more problem though. I need to use MSN messenger now and when i download it I keep getting a corrupt version. The add a contact window continually pops up on my screen when i run it. Any ideas on that?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Dump messenger and use Gaim :)

Click here to download the Windows version.

Advertisement