Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IOL BB Home Network Internet Sharing Help

• 02-07-2004 11:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭

IOL BB Home Network Internet Sharing Help

Hi Any help on this would be appreciated as I am not to experienced at this type of thing

The IOL BB 3 month free trial package arrived the other day.
    It came with a ZyXel Prestige 623R-T1 Adsl Modem Router, It Has Both a network and Usb Connection

I have 2 pc with windows Xp networked Directly on a cross over cable. witch has been working fine for months. I have zone alarm installed on both machines with each ones IP address set to trusted in zones. I set up the broadband on my machine down stairs using another network card ,after a lot of messing about I got it working.

I thought the hard part was then over, I ran the wizard in Xp to set up Internet sharing. This changed the machines down stairs to Ip address to 192.168.0.1 it then set my other machine to Obtain an IP address Automatically. Both machines could no longer see one each other over the network. I spent hours last night messing around reboot after reboot trying different things. I eventually disabled zone alarm on both machines. I have 3 network icons in Network Places, 1 for my normal home network.1 for the Nic card going the modem router and 1 for the USB connection to the router. which one do I set to share for internet sharing. I was up late last night cant even remember how I left it.
    If any body knows of a way of setting this up please help!!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

The machine downstairs cannot have an IP address of 192.168.0.1 ( I think:rolleyes: ) because that is the modem/router's IP addy set it to .2 (it's gateway the router's addy i.e. .1) and the upstairs one hopefully *should* just work. I'm guessing here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭popey21

I spent the whole day messing on this, got it working following

Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 309642

How to Configure a Static Client for Windows XP Internet Connection Sharing

so easy when i follwed those steps

thanks

Advertisement