Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal to sign Trabelsi?

• 02-07-2004 12:21pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.skysports.com/skysports/article/0,,7-1141358,00.html
    Arsenal are believed to have agreed a deal with Ajax for their outstanding full back Hatem Trabelsi.
    The 27-year-old had been looking to leave the Amsterdam ArenA on a free transfer, and the likes of Manchester United, Chelsea, Juventus and Milan were all ready to pounce.

However, the Dutch courts ruled that Ajax had a legal option to extend his deal - meaning he was still tied to the Dutch champions.

Newcastle United tried to land the Tunisian earlier this summer, but their move faltered when they tried to bypass the player's agents and go straight to Ajax.

As Sir Bobby Robson was lining up another bid, Arsenal have stepped in and agreed a fee of around £3 million for the right back.

Trabelsi is now expected to agree terms over the next week and should complete a move soon after.

Wenger has moved for the African as he obviously feels he needs extra cover at right back with Lauren currently filling that role, although it would be expected that Trabelsi would emerge as first choice.

Bayern Munich full back Willy Sagnol, also a target for Arsenal, stated earlier this year that Wenger was looking to replace Lauren.

Despite Trabelsi's imminent arrival, Lauren - who can also play in midfield - is unlikely to be surplus to requirements at Highbury as another reason for Wenger signing a new full back is to make sure Kolo Toure remains in the central of defence rather than having to provide cover.

Trabelsi, however, will not be the first summer signing for Wenger as he is expected to complete the siging of Celta Vigo goalkeeper Manuel Almunia in the next few days.

The 27-year-old has already agreed terms on his £500,000 switch and should arrive in England over the weekend.

I'm quite surprised at this if its true. Lauren had an excellent season, i believe he recently signed a new contract(?), and Trabelsi is more or less the same age. Almunia is no surprise though.

Still, unless Hoyte is ready to step up to the right back position it is poorly covered so I suppose it was an area that needed another player.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Great buy for Wenger if this deal goes through. I can't see anyone challenging Arsenal again next season and they no longer have a lack of strenght in depth which was supposedly their weakness.

Bobby Robson is looking for a right back since summer '03 and Carr was top of his list back then. Hopefully he'll now make another bid for him as Carr isn't happy at Spurs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

My impression was that where Arsenal always lacked a bit of depth was at the front, is Berkamp gona be around next season?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Bergkamp signed a new contract a few months back, the current senior Arsenal forward line is Henry, Bergkamp, Reyes, Aliadiere, Van Persie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

and some very promising youngsters if there is a lot of suspensions or injurys .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

handy player!!

i thought united were close to signing him this year though??!?

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

A couple of sites are running the story today that Arsenal are signing him today for £4m.

Dum de dum...

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭phenom

There was speculation that United were getting him but they must have gave up after they got Heinz . I have never seen him play but ive heard he is a good player.

Advertisement