Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Collective Redundancy Question

Options
  • 02-07-2004 2:04pm
    Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'll be redundant as of the 6th of this month due to downsizing in our company. All along out employer advised us that he was very sorry, would do his best to help us, and allow us to leave early if a new position arose (on a case by case basis). Here I am, two and a half working days left to go and I have a job offer that my employer refuses to release me for. He advises that there is a law stating that in the case of collective redundancies no staff can be let go early, and that his hands are tied. We have no HR right now, as that person is on holidays, and is also taking redundancy.

On a better note my new company has agreed to wait. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Just leave! Can you take holiday days or sick days? There's nothing they can do to stop you, and it's only 2.5 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

If you new company will wait then think you should. There is no point in burning bridges if you can avoid it. You may think you will never need anything from your current boss but you just never know.

It is sh1tty but leaving early could hurt you more than him.

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 78,371 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I suggest a call to the Labour Relations Commission, I suspect, but don't know the your employer may be telling you a fib on the "He advises that there is a law stating that in the case of collective redundancies no staff can be let go early, and that his hands are tied."

Be wary of loosing your redundancy pay.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I'd hate to lose a couple of grand for the sake of two days. I've asked him for this "law" to be shown to me in writing, and he seems to be baclpeddling now, saying he'll check with his "advisers".

• Registered Users Posts: 78,371 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Be careful - you must be pushed, you can't jump.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭De Rebel

There is no law on earth which could prevent him from paying you to stay away from work for two days (i.e. allow you to finish early). He has total discretion in this mater. If its a union shop, there could be some ruls mullarkey, but even that wouldn't "tie his hands"

Hard to guess his motivation. Could he be afraid that if you go early, everybody else would want to do the same?

But the other advice is good, given that the new employer will wait, stick it out. Be polite and curteous. And then say goodbye. You wouldn't be the first person ever to meet a old boss in a new life. Happened to two different friends of mine in very amusing circumstances.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I'm all yes sir no sir three bags full sir. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭shoegirl

Your employer may be breaking the law. In the case of a normal redundancy you are entitled to time off to seek other employment, interviews etc. I don't think that there is any clause in a collective redundancy preventing him from allowing people to go at different times. When I worked in one company that let many people go together, they were tiered and some people left 2 months after the others. I would guess that he simply doesn't want to lose your work for the 2.5 days.

I wouldn't cry over spilt milk if your new employer is willing to wait, though. Good luck with the new job.

Advertisement