Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

long webpage file names

Options
  • 02-07-2004 2:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭

hi do long webpage and folder names with key words help your ranking?

i read somewhere that google reads words appended by _ as one word so best use - instead. is this correct??

tnx

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭nahdoic

Absolutely. The debate is out on whether to use "-" or "_" - either will do. I think it comes down to personal preference more so than anything else. Combine it with the <title>, <h1>, <h2> tags aswell - and the meta tags help especially with yahoo. Then link text from other websites rules at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭tomED

Google used to class words with a "_" and a full word, and one with a "-" as a dash.

However this seems to have changed recently and google seems to be able to pick up words, with or without spaces.

Personally i would keep the folder names to a minium and just put in one keyphrase per folder say and then use the filenames for other keyphrases.

Tom

Advertisement