Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows prob?help

Options
  • 02-07-2004 3:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭

Here the story,my dad friend turned on his computer ,got a Data error Reading Drive C: If i choose Retry or Ignore the error While Initialising Drive VKD windows Protection Error please restart,put in a new keyboard gettin the same error any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Sounds like the Boot sectore or the drive is drive is buggered.

Boot up with a floppy (win98 off ww.bootdisk.com)

When you get to A prompt type "fdisk /mbr"
    IF you get an error disk is most liley buggered.

Kdjac

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Just check nothing changed in BIOS re dma mode (if no one was messing with that then ignore)

Does the drive make any noises like Clunk ./ Click etc. if so not good - chugg is much better

When the PC starts press F8 to get the windows boot menu. if win 95/98 then choose safe mode command prompt only.

If you have data on the HDD then try to copy it off ASAP.
    then run SCANDISK /ALL /AUTOFIX /SURFACE

If NT/2K/XP then choose safe mode to get some checks.
    On the 2K/XP cd there are repair options - but they depend on how far you get and which OS you are using in the mean time

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ChipZilla

Originally posted by powerhousedan
    Here the story,my dad friend turned on his computer ,got a Data error Reading Drive C: If i choose Retry or Ignore the error While Initialising Drive VKD windows Protection Error please restart,put in a new keyboard gettin the same error any ideas?

Way to cross-post...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=171025

Advertisement