Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Making Monday a touch more interesting...

Options
  • 02-07-2004 3:16pm
    Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Ok...Karl suggested something kinda interesting and I have always wanted to play a game with Terminator rules in play sooooo...

Suggested Special Rules:
    DeV's Bad Beat Payout
    30 notes for the worst bad beat brought to my attention during the night. "worst" is by calculations/decision. Judges decision is final! :)

Terminator.
    On arrival you will get one extra chip that you cannot "bet" in the normal course of a hand. This chip represents your continued existance in the tournament and when you bet "All In" you put your "life"-chip in with the rest. If you lose the person who knocked you out gets your chip and sticks it in his pocket. At the end of the night I'll redeem life-chips for 2 euro a pop... this is just for a bit of fun and to reward people for giving-it-a-go so to speak.

Can people vote to see if they like these ideas or not?
    Personally I think they will add a bit of fun and spread a little bit of the prize pool (about 60-100 in total) around as sort of "spot prizes".

DeV.

variants we might play 29 votes

No to both
    0% 0 votes
    No to Bad Beat ; Yes To Terminator
    13% 4 votes
    Yes to Bad Beat ; No To Terminator
    17% 5 votes
    Yes To Both
    6% 2 votes
    Atari Jaguar
    62% 18 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Rock on.

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

I agree with my elevated colleague. Let there be rock!

I won't of course cash Devs life chip when I take it from him. I will make it into a necklace and wear only it around the house shouting "I HAFF JOUR LIOFE!!!!!!"

Originally posted by amp
    I agree with my elevated colleague. Let there be rock!

Get back to work before I go downstairs and smack you upside the head!

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Juan Pablo

Terminator sounds quality! Both sound good, make it a bit more interesting.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

The scary thing is that he would too...

DeV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭Marq

I say yes to both (and atari jaguar) but tbh, Terminator won't really spread the prize pool round much at all. those who are finishing in the money will (for the most part) be those who have taken other players out. But I like the idea of some side action to see you can knock the most players out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

what about the devilish detail where someone gets knocked out by 2+ players when not checked down, what happens - goes to smaller or larger stack or what?

one hand of Omaha - it's the only way! but it's only a problem if the 2+ players split the pot. Just cause you're checking someone down it doesn't mean that someone doesn't actually win the pot

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

good question... it should go to the smallest stack who called as they took the greatest risk imho... open to suggestions though!

I *very* much doubt if the people who get to the final table would even have a majority of the life chips as those who are aggressive often lead a short and brutal life :)

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭karlh

yes to both, should be great fun....you got a shiny jacket then Dev?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

This is gonna be way better then the average night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

I'd agree, more risk for smaller stack, more reward, makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭careca

sounds good. go for it.

Can we have a prize for most outrageous hand to raise pre-flop with?

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Hectorjelly

Looks like Im in a minority here but I hate things like that, I think it just brings attention away from the game itself. Should still be an excellent night though.

tbh I don't think it will detract from the game at all - Nobody tries to get a ridiculous outdraw - you'd want to be pretty psychic if you did, and I think most people will play their regular game which is a mix of survival and trying to get other players out. bet you Kencleary will be mad for terminator though, gleefully rivering anyone who's all-in.

there is a slight contradiction with the two.

If somebody goes all in pre flop with AA and loses to 72o, they lose their life chip whilst suffering a bad beat.

So you can get a bonus by getting lucky with an inferior hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭Waylander

I must confess I agree with Hector. I think the bad beat thing could break up play pretty badly at times, especially if we have to wait for Dev to finish his hand to came and check another table, but majority rules.

if for some reason DeV is still in the tournament when a bad beat occurs :), we just note it and calculate later.

we'll have 9 witnesses at each table so not a big deal to write it down etc. and take care of the bonus at the end....no need to break up play at all really!?

should be able to DEAL ON!

So, I hope the bad beat will be determined by great play being flawed by bad luck and not like a poker of Aces being beaten by an obvious royal flush?

Like if somebody calls a bluff with a J high on the turn and the river brings the other player a card, that should definitely beat the poker being beaten by the royal???

Whatcha think?

• Advertisement

Originally posted by cormie
    should be able to DEAL ON!

So, I hope the bad beat will be determined by great play being flawed by bad luck and not like a poker of Aces being beaten by an obvious royal flush?

Like if somebody calls a bluff with a J high on the turn and the river brings the other player a card, that should definitely beat the poker being beaten by the royal???

Whatcha think?

Could you post the hole cards and board cards for a poker to be beaten by an "obvious" royal flush?

If I have a poker then the board will have 3 or possible 4 cards that could give someone a royal flush. So I need to put him on 1 or 2 very specific cards. But I have a poker, of course I'm going to call or bet out. My point is, if I am holding a poker there is no "obvious" royal flush, only a possible royal flush.

MrP

Say if everyone on the table called an all in and you were last to act with a poker of aces and you called.

you'ld fold?

call me crazy but I've always found AAAA tough to put down! :confused:

I'll put €400 euro on this scenario not coming up on monday night. I personally feel the bad beat should be strictly done on odds - least likely outdraw. i.e. runner runner straights and flushs outdrawing trips. There's no way of factoring in the level of "good play". thinking about it now - it's more of an outdraw jackpot than a bad beat jackpot as I understand it, though I could be wrong, it's up to DeV anyway.

Bad Beat Jackpot would just mean that the best hand to lose a pot in the whole tournament - i.e. Board shows 3 aces and a king, you've got a king, your opponent's got an ace - not an outdraw at all, just tough luck.

What Marq said...

Dev's Bad Beat will be judged by the biggest SWING of probabilitys from when the players last make a decision on their cards to when the board is complete. This will most likely, though not always, happen when one or other player is all in. Aces getting cracked by kings isnt what I'm talking about here...

DeV.

apologies for going off topic
    If the board was:

Ah, Ad, Qh, Jh, 10h and I had Ac As, and the player to my left was chip leader and went all in and each of the 8 remaining players put all their chips in, I would fold my poker of Aces.

swing of probabilities sounds good:)

<gentle reminder> ok lets not get off topic here. Poker possibilities should be discussed in another thread. </gentle reminder>

I've really been coding xml sh*t too long this week...

DeV.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,955 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Well strictly speaking those spaces would be illegal then :)

I'll kill you.

DeV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Edser

How about a highest hand prize?

(Idea stolen from Roy the boy's Ladbrokes article, link in another thread)

Ed

Advertisement