Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dream of the Red Chamber

Options
  • 02-07-2004 3:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭

Hello, could anyone please educate me as to the actual name of the writer of this book! I've found about 7, no word of a lie, and I would delight in getting the right one as I'm mad to read this book!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭callmescratch

Author: The authorship of the Hong Lou Meng, which first appeared in 1791, was for a long time unknown. As late as 1921 Dr. Hu Shih's exhaustive research made it possible to ascribe the first eighty chapters of the original, which has one hundred twenty chapters, to Tsao Hsueh Chin, and the remaining forty chapters to Kao Ngoh, one of the two editors of the first printed edition published in 1791. This dual authorship seems to indicate that Tsao Hsueh Chin probably left more than eighty chapters and that Kao Ngoh edited, expanded, and correlated the remaining forty chapters.

The versions on which the present text is based are an edition of 1832 published by the Tsui Wen Company, and a modern annotated version with commentary published by Commercial Press, Shanghai.
    From here

i'd never even heard of this, sounds interesting

Advertisement