Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XP pro crash ! at login screen

Options
  • 02-07-2004 7:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭

hey,
    Pc loads, goes into login screen, 2 users on pc, ME and one called "other" when i click either ... i get an error ,
    Virtual memory too low ! windows is ncreasing virtal memory, Thats 1.

antother one is "Some program is stopping windows from checking this machnes license" etc

after i click ok it logs in, i see my background and then goes back to log in screen, same thing happens in SAFE MODE and same thing happens in "Restore back to well known recent config - thing"

Now,if i use winxp pro cd and use recovery, will it delete my stuff from my account, because most of my stuff is in a folder in my desktop, theres a website i was working on and its quite important that doesnt get wiped, over all 45 GB in use, id say around 20 gb is importantish downloaded stuff.

Ne ideas ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ColmOT [MSFT]

Looks you're infected with some malware applications that are preventing WIndows booting properly.

You could try booting into safe mode with logging, then zip up the log file and attach it here.

Alternatively, you could reinstall the OS, but before you do, boot to safe mode with command prompt, and then copy the stuff you wanna keep to a different partition.
    Then run your restore disk.
    Yes, the Restore disk will totally erase all information off your machine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

IIRC, if you install XP again over your existing install, but to a different folder, say c:\winxp as opposed to c:\windows, the contents of \documents and settings\ should remain intact.
    Maybe ColmOT can confirm or deny that, since I'm not absolutely 100% sure, and I don't want you to lose those important files :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

it should leave existing folders in documents and settings intact, even if you use the same username on the new install. It renames one to user.computername - can't remember if it does that to the existing account or the new one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Yeah that always throws me aswell, gick.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

ok thanks guys, i installed windows again to different folder, ot stuff and made partition !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Tivoli

i got that exact same problem once, but it was caused by my ghosting a partition onto a drive. i should have choose either copy "partition to partition" or copy "drive to drive"

doupt thats any help to you, unless someone else could have been swapping your drives

Advertisement