Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Group Broadband schemes

Options
  • 02-07-2004 8:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭

Hello every1,
    These Group Broadband Schemes are a great idea but they probbably won't be successful because most peolpe in rural communities are not interested in broadband, let alone actually supplying broadband. I'd love to take part in a GBS but it is impossible for me to do so. Is there any way around this problem?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by To_be_confirmed
    These Group Broadband Schemes are a great idea but they probbably won't be successful because most peolpe in rural communities are not interested in broadband, let alone actually supplying broadband. I'd love to take part in a GBS but it is impossible for me to do so. Is there any way around this problem?
    Based solely on the information you've supplied, the obvious solution is for you to move to an area that does have broadband.

(I'd put a smiley in, but it hardly seems to be worth the effort!)

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

These Group Broadband Schemes are a great idea but they probbably won't be successful because most peolpe in rural communities are not interested in broadband, let alone actually supplying broadband.
    Taken a vox pop, have you? You obviously missed the people who have sent me cheques to secure their place on the waiting list for the Knockmore Community Network.
    I'd love to take part in a GBS but it is impossible for me to do so. Is there any way around this problem?
    Nope. But don't worry: sooner or later someone in your community will discover a way to tap into the latent demand, and you'll be able to join the scheme that they set up.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Ive always got the impression that ppl in communities like mine are not really interested in Broadband; everyone I know anyway isn't:mad:

Are most of these Group Broadband Schemes based on wireless technology?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

there are lots of interested people in communities all over Ireland.

start with Irishwan as most people do.

http://www.irishwan.org/

M

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Ive always got the impression that ppl in communities like mine are not really interested in Broadband; everyone I know anyway isn't:mad:
    Apologies for the tone of my last message: apathy is one of the things that really bugs me.

Lots of people aren't interested in broadband because they have no idea what it is capable of. There were a couple of people around here that I wanted to have on board, and I knew that they travel a lot, so I showed them the Ryanair and Aer Lingus websites on a broadband connection. They signed up immediately.
    Are most of these Group Broadband Schemes based on wireless technology?
    In most cases, it's the only feasible approach to rural broadband. It's almost certainly going to be the cheapest.

• Advertisement

No problem-I didnt realise i was being apathetic.

I have looked at IrishWan but last time I checked, there was nothing in my area. Perhaps I should post a message on the forum. Where could one find the expertise to create wireless broadband? There is also the problem of linking it to the main internet network in Ireland, i.e fibre optic cables.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭viking

You have two options available to you:

1) As OscarBravo said, wait for someone in your community to do something about it and start discovering what BB demand is actually there. Then you can join their campaign/scheme. This might happen next week or it may never happen...

2) You become that person who gets the ball rolling and starts a campaign. You never know, the level of demand in your area might surprise you. You might even get to the stage of submitting a GBS application to the Dept for funding.

If it looks like no one else is going to get the finger out and start campaigning for BB in your area then why not do something yourself?

viking

PS. Where abouts are you?

Im in South Louth- in the Monaasterboice area.

By the way, it would be nearly impossible to set up one as im too young. I may be able to in around 4 years time. Dont ask my age:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,498 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Originally posted by oscarBravo
    Taken a vox pop, have you? You obviously missed the people who have sent me cheques to secure their place on the waiting list for the Knockmore Community Network. Nope. But don't worry: sooner or later someone in your community will discover a way to tap into the latent demand, and you'll be able to join the scheme that they set up.

In regards to this knockmore network. i was discussing where i live on the IRC chat room and Acous mentioned something about the islands around mayo setting up one.

I live on achill island i was wondering could anyone sheld some light on this or point me in the right direction.

Originally posted by irishgeo
    I live on achill island i was wondering could anyone sheld some light on this or point me in the right direction.

South to Clare Island or Inishturk . Do you have a high site ?

M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,498 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Originally posted by Muck
    South to Clare Island or Inishturk . Do you have a high site ?

M

there a huge moutain whih hosts all sorts of tv boosters and a eircom vodafone phone mast. its got an access road etc. no going to complain if you stick another mast up there.

Its on marked on most maps on achill.

I suspect that it has been pencilled in for a mast alright :D

Off you go to get the Achill GBS up and running then.

M

Advertisement