Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Pioneer KEH-5400RDS

Options
  • 02-07-2004 8:35pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone know if the connecting blocks in this yoke are compatible with modern Pioneer head units? Also, is there a knack to getting one of these out of the dash, or do I just yank carefully? (So to speak.) And finally, can anyone recommend a Pioneer MP3 head? I'd prefer a Blaupunkt to be honest, but the modern Blaupunkt heads are icky, and I don't fancy rewiring block connectors this time around.

EDIT: I'm really looking for a HDD-based MP3 unit, if such a thing exists.

adam

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,120 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

How old is the HU in question? I'd assume that you may be safe enough. Otherwise, you'll prob need a seperate adaptor kit.

With regards to HDD MP3 head unit, choices are pretty limited. There's only one on incarexpress site and it's a Sony at £850stg :oLink

There are bound to be others though. Maybe check out that site above and this

I bought a Pioneer DEH P7500MP head unit last year and it's brilliant. It plays mp3/wma CDs and has fancy graphic display. The model has been replaced with DEHP7600MP and not bad price at £220stg.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Wouldn't the seek on CD be slow though?

While we're here, what's the deal with iTrip and the like over here? I understand that strictly speaking they're illegal, but we all know that's balls when you get right down to it. But anyway, anyone run one? TBH at this point in time I'd be just as happy with a transmitter for my iRiver.

adam

byte

Seek time is a wee bit slower on MP3 discs than on ordinary audio cds.

This site sells FM transmitters. There are others too that sell them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

All head units use standard ISO connectors so unless the one you're taking out is very old it should be ok.
    The connections on the back of Blaupunkt units is unique but they all come with adaptors to connect to a standard ISO connector, in fact the same goes for other brands including some Pioneer models.

Some units have clips inside to release them and others need tools. If there are holes on the sides of the units then something, preferably the correct tools, needs inserting to release the unit from the sleeve.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

Decent MP3 head units can be got for much less than £200.

link

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

He's talking about a MP3 unit with a hard drive. Every time someone talks about a MP3 with a HD someone chimes in with : "just buy a MP3-CD, it can hold loads of songs" . It's not the same thing at all.

In the shops you'd pay 2000 for a head unit with MP3 HD or about 1200 for a boot based unit. I'd expect to get that cheaper online/from the states.

Thank you Blitzkrieger, I didn't want to say anything. :)

Those prices are ridiculous aren't they? I have a portable MP3 player here with a 40GB HDD and it cost less than half the price you suggest for a head unit. It's not as small as an iPod, but considering the HDD it's pretty damned small. All that needs to be added to that is an amplifier, something the ICE guys have been doing for nearly a century now. Have the ICE techs been sleeping on the job or something? Or are the suits just being greedier than usual?

Ok, I don't really want to splash out on something that'll be obsolete in a year, so I've been thinking of getting one of these (shipped to the Sis in London and onto me) to keep me going for the moment. The speakers in the car aren't brilliant - I'd prefer to do them before the head anyway - and I'm not an audio nazi, so I'm not all that bothered about the FM quality, but I've heard tell that Stateside FM and European FM channel separations are slightly different, so has anyone actually used one of these in Ireland? This one in particular I mean.

(Yes, I know that strictly speaking they're illegal. No, I don't care.)

adam

Hmmm, a search seems to suggest that they'll work fine in the UK, so I assume the same goes here...

adam

byte

Hmm, that's pretty cheap. The ability to store 4 FM frequencies is handy if you're travelling far.

All you'll then need is an car cigarette lighter apaptor to power the unit unless you don't mind sticking in AAA batteries.

It makes a lot more sense than buying a HDD MP3 head unit, that's for sure!

IIRC, a member in here displayed a HDD head unit he built himself some time ago.

Originally posted by byte
    All you'll then need is an car cigarette lighter apaptor to power the unit unless you don't mind sticking in AAA batteries.
    There's also this one that you can plug your player into, but the iRiver is 5v and I don't want to supply the wrong voltage to a €500 player. :)
    IIRC, a member in here displayed a HDD head unit he built himself some time ago.
    Yeah, it wouldn't be that hard really, external FireWire or USB2 HDD in the glovebox and a custom head, but I don't have the energy at the moment. Dunno how long I'll keep the beamer, I still have a hankering for a Saab 9000 CSE. :)

adam

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

I have the tunecastII which my brother brought back from the US back in march I think... I rarely use it.
    Battery usage is huge so you'd need to power it.
    Convenience and quality is moderate - you'd really be better off looking to hard wire a connection if you plan to use it regularly. For ocassional use in the car it would be fine.

If you have a 2002+ bmw, check out this

As far as the iTrip being illegal, I think I saw them for sale in compustore in sandyford a couple of months ago. At least they were boxed in display cases behind the counter...

Advertisement