Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IOL BB...New way to connect?

• 02-07-2004 9:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭

Hey All,

Just helped setup my friends broadband yesterday, but boy..was it different setup to mine.

We both on Iol, but it seems they have done away with the whole "log on system", which i have....all he needs do is double click Internet Explorer...no clicking on the connection shortcut etc...

Anyone have any idea what this new method is? seems pretty cool...always on...literally

Thanks

Netz

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

got mine today,had to go into system of modem and it had a setup wizard which was quite easy plus it said it was pre-set up for irish users so just typed in password and user name and done a test and BB up and running....YAY....ordered it on the 15june got it SDS today....

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭netbeatz

I wonder if there is anywhere of setting up my bband so it is literally Always on...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

He is probably using the new modem/router and you are still using the old Zylex modem, a modem like his means all connection details are handled by the modem instead of the host PC ( like in the old Zylex modem - which used USB:( ). I'm guessing here so I could be wrong if anyone else has any other ideas post ahead.

Got mine last october...his modem is quite different to mine...bit of a pain in the a$$

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Originally posted by netbeatz
    Got mine last october...his modem is quite different to mine...bit of a pain in the a$$
    Then that would definitely be the reason, sorry to inform you but the modem you are using is crap:(. As soon as I could I went and bought a router now all 3 computers in the house are connected to the internet 24/7 and they never afto connect :D.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

How are each of you setup?

Ethernet port or are you using the USB port?

With the ethernet port option you will never need to "connect". By opening Firefox or Internet Explorer the modem will open the connection giving the 'always on' impression. Possibly with the USB connection you have to connect, im not sure as I've never seen USB connection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

yip i have the 'new' have it for 3 months now tho, its grand, always on the net by the time windows is loaded.

setup mine USB and its called like u said a Zyxel prestige 623r-t1 adsl modem/router

Am using the Zyxel 630...Came with my setup last october..USB Connection..:(

well i can go either way with connections as to Ethernet or usb.....which would be better or they just the same?...
    well with USB as soon as computer starts up i click on explorer or firefox and its on....

• Advertisement

It must just be the differant modems so. As mentioned above IOL went from giving a bog standard USB modem last year to a Ethernet/USB modem which has better features and also better network support through the ethernet connection.

Pretty Raw deal for anyone who signed up last year....be nice to have a real Always on Connection

...be nice to have a real Always on Connection

all you need to do is buy yourself a new modem/router. You can pick them up cheaply enough these days.

Can anyone recommend one that would provide this function?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Cryos

Netopia Caymen 3346 Dose that..

Not exactly the best one out there but dose the job

You could try this Netgear one.There are other ones which include switches etc. but you dont need to look at them unless you plan on adding extra computers to your network.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭kmurph

Sorry to hijack the thread, but I have a Netopia Cayman 3341 ethernet/usb modem for sale here.

Advertisement