Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thief 3

Options
  • 03-07-2004 12:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭

Hey All,

Just wondering if anyones picked up this yet? And if so what you impressions are?

The fact that I'm still running off a 56K modem has restricted me from downloading the demo, and the scrots of PC Gamer and PC Zone did'nt pull their collective fingers out and get it for the latest magazines........

Their reviews and those on the web have been mostly quite positive - in and around the 80% region.....similarily the first two games had their flaws but the pro's definitely outweighed the cons and were essential purchases for me......

So if there are any Taffer's out there - spill the beans.......

:ninja:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭jaggeh

the game is fantastic.

at several points i was doubtful, but theres a few levels in particular that really blew me away, if you decide to get it keep your eyes out for 'shalebridge cradle'.

im on the last level of the game now and its quite hard, lots of security.

any tips i can give you while playing....
    buy more water arrows, never buy moss arrows, get the climbing gloves first chance you get, have a spare pair of underwear when entering the cradle.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Im currently in the cradle Jaggeh, I have all the objectives done, but I cant get enough loot anywhere, only got 20% so far, got any idea where to get more? and wheres the special loots aswell, aint got any of them yet. Need help on that mission getting the loot.

As for the underwear, for cradle, strongly advised, spookiest area in any game or movie ever, when you first meet the occupants you need that spare pair of underwear. It really is an superb game though, definately worth getting, tsarting to get hard now.

As for the water arrow's, I rarely use them, I far rather either sneek up and blackjack em, or use the nearby items to distract them... then blackjack em :) In really tight spots, hit and run with broadheads works well, rarely ever engage them hand to hand, as it hurts like hell :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭jaggeh

i pmed you some hints, the last level is near impossible on the hardest setting :(
    cradle was hard enough.

Thanks a bunch Jaggeh, Ill go check em out now. Can you tell me how far in I am btw? half way yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭rabid

Righto, am deffo getting it....

It seems that the atmosphere generated in the thief series has once again been maintained, even if the graphics and the fact that its a bit of a system hog are a couple of the gripes reviewers have mentioned,......

Lurking in the shadows, sweating.....pondering your next move.....blackjack, arrow in the skull.....did I pack my extra absorbant longjohns???

At least it will give me a break from COD which I have been playing online incessantly for the last few months...man it kicks ass and I can hardly wait for the expansion pack......

But methinks I shall have to purchase a new soundcard and speakers for T3......

Heard about the cradle and the beasties within.....screw the blackjack wheres the sawn-off??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭l3rian

i got bored sneeking around

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I've just about finished it on the Xbox - at the musuem - and it's one of the best games I've played this year. I don't usually like stealth games and the likes of Splinter Cell and Metal Gear leave me cold, but this is different. Probably the best third-person adventure on the Xbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭OSiriS

The thief series has always demanded great patience. It is the sort of game you need to avoid conflict rather than start it, and it can be quite exhilerating sneaking around. The atmosphere and storylines are second to none, and thief 3 has excelled in improving on it's predecessors.

Just finished it there today, some real hard missions in it, and some that genuinely freak the hell out of you (cradle, *shudder*), I thought it was a bit shorter than Thief2, but regardless, a really really good game, and the new Lighting engine makes hiding in obscure place's so much easier, as you can hide behind anything if you position it right, and killing guards by dropping heavy box's on them is hillarious. Scared the utter hell out of 3 guards in the mansion level by dropping a corpse of a guard on them from the floor above, the guards went hunting and the lady in the room screamed her head off and ran to her room..... when I found her and blackjacked her :D

As for PC hog rabid, I have a rather mediocre system (1.6 AMD, radeon 9600XT) andi t ran fine for me all game with medium detail level, no problems with frame drops all game. But one of theb est features in this game is how many ways you can do the missions and get past guards, I usually opt for the 'black jack everyone so theres no1 left to find the corpses' which worked pretty well, I mainly snuck about and waited for an opening to knock a guard down, maybe make noise by throwing a box to draw one of the guards in a room away while I blackjack the other etc, then when the other comes looking for the lost guard, stalk him, and when he gives up his search, whack him one too :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Great game. The only thing they really balls up was the city. Don't cause too much hassle in the city or all of a sudden you have 100s of folk walking around the place, half of them looking for a fight, the other half ready to jump if they see you. Gets almost Monty Python.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Originally posted by musician
    Great game. The only thing they really balls up was the city. Don't cause too much hassle in the city or all of a sudden you have 100s of folk walking around the place, half of them looking for a fight, the other half ready to jump if they see you. Gets almost Monty Python.

I thought that was great though and loved the way that the Hammers and Pagans would attack each other on sight, only for the city guard to jump in and start caving some heads in.
    The only part when I though it was a bit OTT was at the very end when you had to complete the final glyph Gamall, with her army of statues were wandering about just beating the crap out of everyone.

Cheers for that Pugsley.

Furry spoilers are done this way:

[.spoiler] insert text here [/.spoiler]
    (without the . obviously)
    I really liked the last mission, it was just utter chaos, and the main way you got past gamall in some of the area's (docks for example) was sneak in close enough for the guards to charge at her, then when she's busy battering them leggit in, place the artifact and bugger off. Only artifacy I found hard was placing the chalice in fort ironwood, found it real hard to sneak in close enough, ended up getting half way there and legging it in and out, only got hit once too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭rabid

Picked up the game yesterday, cranked it up and plowed thru the tutorial...

Runs grand on my system: AMD XP2200 1.5Ghz, 512mb DDR, ATI 9600 128mb so am chuffed at that...

Just disappointed no ones called me a Taffer in the game yet....

Think the new lighting system is pretty groovy, especially the guards carrying the torches....forgot about it when I was waiting to Blackjack one returning on his beat.....I had put out a wall torch at the top of the stairs....he came up commenting on the torch being out on the way....and theres me now lit up fully against the wall........spanner...

The quest continues....

Advertisement