Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 64 Dollar question.

Options
  • 03-07-2004 1:07am
    Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭

Right I considering my next move on the AMD 64 platform.

I'm happy with everything I have except the rather pants motherboard.

Option 1. Get a nforce 250gb motherboard either from MSI (better voltage) or Epox (better FSB) but excellent boards and great for overclocking. Working PCI lock as well as hypertransport being bumped up to 1000.

Option 2. Switch to socket 939 and move to the FX format as well has having hypertransport of 2000mhz and full dual channel support.

Questions I have are these. Will socket 754 heatskins /fans work on socket 939 or will I need a new one?. Will the new FX 55 support unregistered ram? When is the FX 55 due out?.

Finally can anyone tell me what is the best amd 64 cooler on the market?

Anyone got any answers would appreciate it

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

Will socket 754 heatskins /fans work on socket 939 or will I need a new one?.

AFAIK They should be the same fitting. Will the new FX 55 support unregistered ram?
    Will the new FX 55 support unregistered ram?

Yea it will work perfectly with un-reg memory on the 939 socket.
    Finally can anyone tell me what is the best amd 64 cooler on the market?

For air coolers the thermalrights are fantastic. They have a new one out (or comming out) that supports a 120mm fan, youve prob seen it. Not sure about Socket754/939 fitting but its one to watch.

And TBH id prob stick with yout current rig for the min, tis pretty impressive ........

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

ive never seen a fan that works on both 939 and 754

the only ones like that are the 754/940 ones likethese

correct me if im wrong

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Okay I will stick with 754 for the moment....looking at either epox or MSI nforce 250gb boards....Epox has higher fsb range of 350 and a mulitplyer unlocked to 8
    while the fsb on the msi board is 300 its got a better voltage range (good for my ram) and I belive the hypertransport is higher. The mulitplyer is unlocked down to 4.

I see amd 64 3200 was overclock to 2460mhz from 2000mhz on the the msi board while 2.37 was achieved with the epox albiet at lower voltages......They reckon the fsb limited them on the msi and the Epox was limited by ram voltage and chipset heat......but I been reading on extremeoverclocking.com that people been having probs with the msi board......you guys got any recommendations?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

no huge problems just little ones

• Registered Users Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭BKtje

I assume you mean the mis k8n neo platinum?

If so i just put it into my new rig and have had no problems thus far.
    M8 of mine hs it and has troublme playing CoD tho (i dont).

Gonna start overclocking this tomorrow. See how high she'll go on the vapo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Dr4gul4

Aye dat would be me, It seems to be an issue with the GART driver's BK, not sure why ure not gettin the same prob as me, i'll speak to you 2 nite however

D.

Yup MSI K8N Neo Platinum

Its not the COD issue with vpu recovery on ATI cards is it?. There is a patch/driver out from ATI that fixes that. Actually be rather dissapointing if COD does not work for me.

Anyway B-K-DzR good luck with the overclock you should have a good board on your hands. One thing I read about this board is that the chipset gets very hot so keep an eye on it. What chip you overclocking with 3400?

Nah the 3200+ newcastle. I couldnt justify the increase in price to the 3400+ as it was boxed and not oem. (ie best part of 100 extra).

Yer ive read that it can get very hot. I will keep an eye on it tho the people over at hardocp and toms didnt have any problems with it even tho it did get hot during overclock.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Good thing amd now have the heat spreader on the cpu....i have already seen a video of the heatsink being taken off a A64 chip while running...and it just turns itself off once it gets too hot... it dosen't die like the xp chips.:)

CombatCow

No it's not the VPU issue, the game freezes for 3 secs when ure playing on line, tis fine in single player and multiplayer on a lan, just when ure on the interweb, tis quite annoying as it always seems to happen when im about to bash BK :p

D.

• Advertisement

lies! :)

Here dave have you looked at the bios at all? You figured out how to use the AGP/PCI lock or know if its auto enabled?

Alot of people use ClockGen with the AMD64 boards, set the FSB to 201mhz in the BIOS to activate the PCI/AGP lock and then use clockgen to ramp up the speed.

It tends to give better results than the BIOS overclocking does!!

Really want to see how the overclock goes on the newcastle CG core with a vapochill......... id imagine a pretty serious overclock . Are you in a postion to test it out?

noticed today it was a clawhammer and not the newcastle. It however has the CG stepping which is supposed to have more robust memory controller.

Ill have a look for clock gen

EDIT: found clockgen, setting fsb to 201 in the bios.

na, i havent started to fook about with mine untill i get the GART issue sorted owen, Hope fully ure 1 will OC ok, however with the 1.1. bios it seems now to OC dat far, the original bios was 1.13 that tom's hardware used and it's not dat stable for games and the likes, or so they tell me. let me know 2 nite how u get on, ohh and if u smell smoke check the toaster aint on 1st ok

:eek:

D.

Clockgen does not fully support nforce 3 250 chips yet or so I have read on anandtechs.com review of the msi k8n neo platinum.

Guys I'm having difficulty installing my raptors on raid zero. My floppy drive in mycomputer decide to corrupt all floppys including the raid floppy that came with my motherboard. (Happened before on a different floppy drive as well). Anyone since got another floppy drive and download raid driver from msi (about 485k nvidia raid driver and then storage controller when I hit f6 in windows set up)....as I said in another post the windows installation won't detect my raid setup while everwhere else does (does detects the raid setup when I set primary boot device) and on bopt up I'm shown the 2 drives as one. This is identical to my old setup on my last motherboard. The only thing I can think of is that I'm using the wrong raid driver. Could you guys do me a favour and send me the files off the floppy that came with the motherboard to my e-mail acccount.

Its Jeffrey_Yorke@hotmail.com

Otherwise either my raptors are damaged (don't think so raid setup ran fine on my last motherboard) or else there is something I'm doing wrong elsewhere.

If I can't get it fixed I'm gonna have to install windows onto a single driver.

You lookin for the files offa the floopy for the msi k8n neo? If so ill send em once i get a floppy drive from work :p

My ones been nust for years :)

Are you trying to create a new Raid 0 array, ie with a clean install? You should prob break the array on the old mobo first.

If your trying to get the hard disks working like they did with your old mobo, im not sure how well that will work. Mabye if the Strip size is the same, same controller then it might work..........

Fixed it. Turns out that when you press f6 in windows install and have to load in the raid driver. On this particular motherboard I had to load in both drivers the raid driver and the storage controller.

That got it cutting turf at last.

No sooner than sloving that problem I'm hit with another. I saved alot of downloaded drivers and files on my laptop and I can't get a connection between them. My laptop is giving me accessed deined when I try to connect to from the dsktop. And the desktop is giving me a login screen when I try to connect to it from the laptop. I have no password or login in name yet set and the network ips are set up correct. I can't figure what it is.

Try administrator and whatever the password is? ie blank if there is none?

You might want to setup your access levels so its ok for the network to access your folders etc.

• Advertisement

I have no password or login in name yet set

Both machines need to have usernames and password, i cant stress this enough you need a password set on both accounts, and it cannot be blank, once you have done this u will be ok

D.

Advertisement