Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

stupid damn mini metalers

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

TBH, I just wear black because you don't need to think about it, no colour coordination is required.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

I'm wearin black RIGHT NOW!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

*GASP!*

/me calls the local parson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

Originally posted by AngelofFire
    i love maiden and i had a tee-shirt of them back in the late 90s back when metal wasnt so cool.

*news flash!* ---> it still quite blatantly isnt, and never will be. sorry to piddle on your bonfire mate. ta ra!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

As metal goes, it hasn't been this cool since the 70's. This is, as they say, as cool as it gets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

its just a sign of the times mate... lets face it, the last significant musical movement of the twentieth century had politicians the world over trying to ban it, pass legislation against it, make it impossible to thrive in its original social context and then got co-opted by the drinks industry and sold back at an inflated price. in these dark times its easier to sell a message of hatred and violence and anger to disaffected youth before they throw away their hoodies to become accountants than to tolerate anything that might have given them the glimmer of a hope of a better way of doing things. metal is far less a thorn in the side of the powers that be than all the silly pentagrams would have you believe.

Er, what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭the_obsolete

Likewise...:dunno:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭princess penny

Originally posted by Civilian_Target
    TBH, I just wear black because you don't need to think about it, no colour coordination is required.

Ehh mind your phrazeology there, you' re making it sound like metallers care about colour coordination

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭the_obsolete

Oh of course we do, like "d'ugh!". I so totally like the new range of charcoal black they use this year!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 316 ✭✭LightofDarkness

You would never be able to tell I was a metal lover if you saw me. I look exceedingly normal, except maybe the slightly baggy jeans and sometimes I wear American Sports Jerseys. I have very short hair too. But, of course, you get people who think you don't know what you're talking about in metal because I don't wear tight jeans/leathers and have long flowing locks. By mini-metallers we mean the Slapnuts and Korn fans, correct?

And kersh, what might YOU listen to then, that's so superior to Maiden?

Geez. I started off on Metallica anyway, when just about all my friends were getting into this nu-metal thing. I hated nu-metal then and I do now. I went from Metallica and Pantera and Death (whom I listened to constantly for 2 years, heh) to Insomnium and Children of Bodom one summer 2 years ago. From those two bands (BTW Bodom are becoming too popular and are starting to be considered "mallcore" and "trendy") I have gotten into everything from melodic, power, heavy, thrash, death and black metal, and all the little subgenres and mix genres that they entail. No core. Except maybe SOME grindcore. So all these mini-metallers need is a band that mixes it up so much (COB, Insomnium) to open doors for them to all the other genres and these bands also provide linkage to so many other bands. So, instead of laughing in hysterics and calling them names let's try and help them get their metal "wings", however homosexually charged that sounds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭hostyle

Originally posted by [cm]tyranny
    its just a sign of the times mate... lets face it, the last significant musical movement of the twentieth century ...

As posted on previous threads:

Lets face it: Vanilla Ice reached the pinnacle of human achievement in the mid-eighties. Every human act, thought and assumption since that pales into significance. "Put your hands in the air like you just don't care! Ice Ice Baby"

I just made as much sense as you did.

Originally posted by hostyle
    As posted on previous threads:

Lets face it: Vanilla Ice reached the pinnacle of human achievement in the mid-eighties. Every human act, thought and assumption since that pales into significance. "Put your hands in the air like you just don't care! Ice Ice Baby"

I just made as much sense as you did.

Is it wrong of me to have once known the lyrics?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Sideshow Debs

I agree with all ye who say give these guys a chance to discover what we might call 'better' bands. But if truth be known, I bet that more than one person posting here has what may be called a set of 'guilty pleasure' in terms of music they could never admit to listening to but given the chance will indulge in a bout of nostalgia at any of the 80s metal hair bands. Yes, a lot of the music was rubbish but it was fun too and there is no harm in having a listen once in a while. So give these youngsters a chance to listen to some so-called better bands, and if they like them, well and good, but if they don't leave them be, I say. And I won't tell if I ever catch any of ye playing air guitar behind closed curtains to Bon Jovi or Guns n Roses...

Whoah whoah whoah, what's wrong with playing air guitar to Bon Jovi or Guns'n'Roses? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Tommy Vercetti

Sarky wrote:
    Whoah whoah whoah, what's wrong with playing air guitar to Bon Jovi or Guns'n'Roses? :)

It's nowhere near as cool as playing air guitar to Whitesnake and Van Halen duh :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Pugsley wrote:
    Slayer will never appeal to the masses, cant do jack about it, proper heavy death metal isnt common place really yet, so Slayer etc will be with the minority for a while yet,
    Excuse me? Slayer will never appeal to the masses? That's EXACTLY what they do you muppet! :) There's an unreal amount of people listening to metal just because of Slayer. They're also Thrash Metal - they sorta helped invent it, but I'm just being a pedantic funk :)

But anyway, that's besides the point - I saw that whilst reading through the thread and had to reply - don't mean to have a go.

As for the kids - I had this same conversation with my good mate Hick from Sherman M4 (Castlebar "Doom Drenched Hardcore" band says Metal Ireland) and we had Dying Fetus on the hi-fi. I was flicking through Metal Hammer and saw the review of the new Rasmus single which got -99 out of 10. We had a chuckle at what the guy said and then I said "it's pretty sad that there's so many poeple out there that think that's metal" and Hick came back with "they should be locked into a room and force fed this [Fetus] for a few hours - then we'll see if they're metal fans!"

He has a rather important point - do any of these kids really listen to metal? How many of them have had their minds blown by all time great albums like "Reign In Blood" or "Arise" or [insert classic metal album of your choice here]. How many of them have heard some of the newer heavy stuff like "The Impossibility Of Reason" (Chimaira) or "Jane Doe" (Converge) or "Destroy The Opposition" (Dying Fetus).

They're just some of the bands I'm listening to at the moment - if it's not your thing, fair enough - it's not really important. What is important is what we do to educate the kids. I know this might sound strange, but the next time you see a group of these kids checking out the latest Nickleback or whatever in a shop, wander over and give them a few suggestions of CDs you love and that you think would be good starting points for them to understand and appreciate real metal. I've done it a few times when I was working in Galway - I'd be in Zhivago on my lunch and I'd spot some kids looking at the wrong thing, so I make a suggestion that they might like this or that and 9 times out of 10, they go for it simply cause I wasn't one of these "old skool" (in their eyes that's how it seems) telling them they weren't reals metal fans, I was a concerned citizen helping the youth of the nation grow (I'm thinking of running for office now after all this sterling community service)!

It'll only take you a few minutes - that young fella about to pick up Slipknot Vol 3 should be swayed to Nasum or Suffocation or Skinless or ANYTHING!

Again - I don't mean to force THOSE albums - insert whatever floats your boat or whatever you think might best suit the situation - ask them their fave songs and you'll be able to judge what they'd like to hear. IT'S UP TO YOU!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

but that means you have to talk to them....

And they'll all be like "You're too old, man, you're not 'with it'."

And we'd be like "I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was. Now what I'm 'with' isn't 'it', and what is 'it' is wierd and frightening to me. It'll happen to YOU..."

Or that'll just pass straight over their little spiky dyed-black heads and they'll just say "F*ck off ya w*nker" and try to nick your wallet...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

I generally don't bother making any conversation with them as such... Let them listen to whatever they want.

I mean, what got me into metal all those years back was none other than The Black Album. Of course I'd never listen to it now, there's far superior albums, but at the time it really broke the ice with me. So if Slipknot has the same effect on youngins today, then who am I to critisize?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

I think the main thing that's wrong with them is the fact that they think they've got something over you and other people. Like, I would be willing to bet that if you did try and talk to them and convince them to buy a better album, Reign in Blood over Vol3 or whatever, most of them would get uppity (God I can't believe I said that) and tell you to **** off. In all fairness though, if I wandered in to HMV or wherever to pick up a CD, If someone came up to me and told me to reconsider it, I'd be a bit freaked out myself. I think what's best is to leave them at whatever they want to do for now and eventually, the grain will sort itself from the chaff. Those who were only in it for the image and whatever else will fade away and those who were in it for the music will stay, and they'll probably develop their tastes too. I'd say in five years, those currently listening to Slipknot might be picking up Opeth, Carcass, In Flames, Slayer, Shadows Fall. They just need a chance. But for now I will continue to ignore them with the practiced efficiency I've been using for years. :p

On the "wearing black" note. I wear mostly baggy jeans and black band t-shirts. The jeans I wear because they're comfortable. The t-shirts I wear because I like supporting good bands by wearing their merchandise and the vast majority happen to be black. Also, black suits me. That's basically mini-metaller uniform right there but I would never consider myself one. It's a bit discriminatory to categorise people for what they wear. The same way it is to discriminate against those of us who are pierced and tattooed.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭mudflapgirl

Are we gonna have this discussion again? Really? We all have to start somewhere. I started on my ma's Thin Lizzy, Queen and whatnot. Then moved on to Pantera Slayer Sepultura and such when I was about 12/13/14. I remember pestering the poor b**tards in Golden Discs (or whatever it was back then) in Dun Laoire for weeks before 'Far Beyond Driven' came out. *sniff* /me wipes a tear at the memories. They musta hated me with a f***ing passion. I wore black cause it was easier, had no-one to guide me (only kid and all), got slagged in school for being a rocker.
    Bah, where are these people now? .......no, really, where? (;))
    .....ramble ramble ramble.......Anyway, long and short of it is this: Some will cop on soon enough and find better things to listen. The rest - natural selection will take care of ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Hell_en_earth

Well now! I've said it before and I'll say it again! JUst let them be they ain't annoying you that much surely!!! As mudflapgirl say's "They have to start somewhere"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Sorry to the rest of you guy's reading this but I had to reply again!!! :)

:eek:

Take it to private message any more if you want to babble inanely, this isn't IRC! I don't want to have to clean up threads like this again.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement