Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Crystal maze

• 03-07-2004 6:12am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Does anyone remember the crystal maze?

im addicted to it except crap hairstyles a Richard o Brien bit of a weirdo
    reruns of it on on challenge 9am & 4pm mon to fri

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Ya i watch it as well weirdly enjoyable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭Space Coyote

Ah yeah that show was class. It was on C4 back in the day I think. Some of the games were wicked. If you were skilled enough you could grab most of the silver and gold strips a split second before the fans came on. :) If you were a contestant that is !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭article6

Absolutely brilliant show... *wishes he had satellite*

"Automatic lock-in!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

i liked one particular episode with the guy with the hair (think he was in the sex pistols) anyway, they were in the space zone or whatever it is, and he "captured some space air" in a sweet jar of his so he could keep it. They went to the aztec zone and he said he was going to release the air and for everyone to watch it. He opened the empty jar and of course nothing happened but the people looked amazed as if there was something really there. Funny with their huge glasses and old hair cuts :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Originally posted by The Real B-man
    Does anyone remember the crystal maze?

No, I don't remember it, I have amnesia and remember nothing pre 1998.

OF COURSE!!!! It was one of the coolest shows ever....

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭DArcy

Richard & his harmonica...there was no end to his talents!

Personally I liked "mumsie", the crazy old bat who lived in the Medieval Zone. & then they went & changed the presenter; the Industrial Zone was written off & the Oceanic zone was introduced. It was never quite the same...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

Some comedy sketch show, I forget which, did a parody of the crystal maze. One of the games consisted of making a cup of tea, when faced with the kettle the contestant shouts out to their teamates 'what do I do?, WHAT do I do?'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

5 seconds, 4-3-2-1...OH SORRY!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

A class programme

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭spectacleinrock

sad but true: my dream as a child was to be on that show and win!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Blisterman

I love the presenter. he's so deliciously twisted. The Bald guy, not the other guy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭lyonsy

was the presenter the guy from right-said-fred?

i used to think that if ya actually fell off the thing in the space zone into the seemingly infinate space below, you died

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭Space Coyote

The mad presenter was Richard O'Brien

Rocky Horror, Dark City etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭article6

Originally posted by lyonsy
    i used to think that if ya actually fell off the thing in the space zone into the seemingly infinate space below, you died

What do you mean, you used to think? It was real infinite space! Nowadays they might use the cheap finite stuff, but these are the glory days of television we're talking about.
    they were in the space zone or whatever it is, and he "captured some space air" in a sweet jar of his so he could keep it. They went to the aztec zone and he said he was going to release the air and for everyone to watch it. He opened the empty jar and of course nothing happened but the people looked amazed as if there was something really there.

Amazingly I remember that one too! I guess it must have been the apogee of weirdness in a show that was fairly familiar with it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭eggshapedfred

Some comedy sketch show, I forget which, did a parody of the crystal maze. One of the games consisted of making a cup of tea, when faced with the kettle the contestant shouts out to their teamates 'what do I do?, WHAT do I do?'.

It was the Mary Whitehouse Experience. The guy tried putting the cup into the teapot, and then the teapot into the cup, and one of his team-mates shouts in "try pouring the tea from the tea-pot into the cup" (moments silence) Then the guy inside: "I'm coming out".

class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭Dancing duck

I would watch that OBSESSIVELY :eek:

My favourite rooms were those were it was all dusty and full of messages in bottles. and you had to solve the clues to find the crystal which was always in a treasure chest.

I was fcuking petrified of those spider web type things which would light up if you touched them as you tried to climb through. I thought they gave you electric shocks and could never understand why anyone would actually volunteer to go on the programme since it did look like a death trap, what with your man (Richard) trying to push you off the rope-bridges and down the cliffs.

:ninja:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭stormkeeper

I remember spotting Ed O'Neill (other Crystal Maze host) in that godawful "Vindaloo" video by Fat Les... lol

And yes, The Crystal Maze rocked! I used to watch it religiously with my mum :)

That and Knightmare, which I loved ^_^

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Ed Tudor-Pole. He was in the Sex Pistols briefly, before forming his own band which was on Top of the Pops a few times.

Richard O'Brien was a far better host than Ed. Cosmic handshake? How quare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭stormkeeper

Oh yeah, I know where I got O'Neill from.... Married with Children :s

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭littleninja

Great show.. used to fancyu having a go at collecting the gold and silver ticket things at the end, wouldn't have been too keen on the other challenges though!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭karlh

I treated that show as a religion!

Got the board game, still have it somewhere. Loads of little fiddley games which were funny but then the 'Crystal Dome' round consisted of a clear plastic ball with a little hole in it, with small pieces of silver and gold card in it.

You had to shake the mofo like you were having a seizure and the more golds you got in the time you had built up during the game, you won.

pants.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭snoopish

I remember thinking he was from right said fred too...was he?? oh ya, loved this programme...always thought I was the only one! that was the tv of the good old days:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Kone

Brilliant show, I used to love it, Richard O'Brien was great! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭emptyspoon

Ahhh loved it! And did he used to talk to the computer? Hmm loved it all...and the way they used to run around! And have to climb over bridges and stuff...*sigh of satisfaction*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭emptyspoon

Okay just re-read my last post...sounded way too sexual! :eek:
    Still twas great.

Advertisement