Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good restaurants in the midlands

Options
  • 03-07-2004 11:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭

I dont get to go out very much , but when i do i like sometimes just to get out of the town and go for a bit of grub , went to preston house in abbeyleix last night savage grub . wouldn't mind tips on other places

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭gogo

Preston house has lovely food indeed, spago in portlaoise is also very nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 villain_97

The Purple Onion in Tarmonbarry.Fabulous food,friendly staff,frothy ale and reasonable prices.Highly recomended by moi

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

The anatolia in tullamore is excellent but can be pricy, also senioritos in tullamore. It may be an itilian but servs a wide range, is fairly cheap and is great food.
    Cafe india is an excellent indian but i ain't been there in about 8 months and i heard they changed chefs so I don't know what it's like now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Bessacadia

Has anyone been to Dante in Mullingar? (under Newbury Hotel)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

TomTom wrote:
    Cafe india is an excellent indian but i ain't been there in about 8 months and i heard they changed chefs so I don't know what it's like now.

thats closed down now tom

but imo from tullamore
    billabong on harbour st
    acorn on harbour st

roma - after a night drinking there chips are lovley
    thats about it reely there are other nice places 2 but i havent been to them
    there is a chinease just opened on harbour st dono the name of it but havent heard gr8 things about it .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭Little Goose

The Acorn Restaurant on Harbour Street, Tullamore is a great place to eat. Slightly pricy but hey, where else can you get crocodile?!? Never tried it though.. Also, I tried the Bistro in #1 Church Street (also Tullamore) recently and I was pleasantly surprised for the most part.. Yum!

*Hungry now* :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Kalina

Mezzos in Tullamore is a nice restaurant/cafe. It's not too pricy and has a great take-out manu. The Castle in Terrylspass is lovely but pricy.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭pablo21

Had a meal in Don Antonio's in Mullingar and it was absolutely fabulous! Totally recommend it! Its beside the new amber.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Occidental

Agree with Don Antonio's. Others worth a mention are Pasta Bella, and the new Indian near Oscars(can't remember the name), which finally gave the Saagar a much needed kick up the arse. Thank god it's not just Oscars or the Amber Court anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Swarfboy

Shishir in Tullamore is the best Indian I have tasted since coming home to Ireland from Southall (Hindi capital of Britain)... Bangladeshi cooking comes through in the taste.... most Indians in Ireland are Pakistani.... totally different barrel of kippers....!! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Swarfboy

Shishir in Tullamore is the best Indian I have tasted since coming home to Ireland from Southall (Hindi capital of Britain)... Bangladeshi cooking comes through in the taste.... most Indians in Ireland are Pakistani.... totally different barrel of kippers....!! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Seanie M

Kalina wrote:
    Mezzos in Tullamore is a nice restaurant/cafe. It's not too pricy and has a great take-out manu. The Castle in Terrylspass is lovely but pricy.

I go there a couple times a month, because its more reasonable than most, I think anyway.

Seanie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Seanie M

Oh, and for the record, the bast place I've ever been at to eat out was a little place called the Avonlea Restaurant in Rathdrum village, Co. Wicklow. That was over 2 years ago, but I got 1 mother of a T-Bone steak for 7 pounds (€10). generous portions, and a gorgeous hot chocolate fudge cake to finish. There were 4 of us, past 9pm at night looking for somehwere. This place was closing in 10 minutes, but the lady of the house took us in. And I mean house! It was like the front rooms were converted into the restaurant, you know, one of those places! But I'd go back again nay day if I could!

Seanie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭begbie

gogo wrote:
    Preston house has lovely food indeed, spago in portlaoise is also very nice.

I've been to Spago's once and i didn't like it at all. There wasn't many people there and the service was really, really slow. The soup was nice, i'll give it that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Bessacadia

Kinnegad
    Rocca Cafe (next to fish shop)

Fabulous food, Very reasonable prices, just take my word for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Cosworth

I was in Cafe Rocca During the week and the name doesn't do it any justice.
    It is definetly a fully fledged itailian restaurant.

The food was superb and all freshly cooked to order,i would definetly recommed it if you like itailian food.
    The prices are very good as well,we had garlic bread for starters,which was served on a beautiful ciabatta bread.

For the main course we had spagetti carbonara,which was nice and creamy,and i had pasta berndia,which had a beautiful white wine sauce and plenty of huge tiger prawns.Our daughter(2yrs old) also had sausge and chips and we had two coffoes after and the total was a very reasonable 30.95.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭dts

The crooked wood house has to be the best place I have managed to find. It is closed untill the end of this month but is well worth a visit once it has re opened. The view from the bar is worth the treck up the hill.

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭edengarden

The Belfry outside Mullingar on the Castlepollard Road is amazing. Its a renovated church and the food is unbelievable. It is expensive but if you go on a weekday evening and it is reasonable enough! Also can’t fault the Bridge House in Tullamore. The interior could do with an overhaul but the food is great.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

just thought ppl might wana know the billabong on harbour st in tullamore is closing in a few months :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 themurt

Hey elexes, Cafe India hasn't closed down it's just moved to where the Gas Lamp used to be. And while they have changed chefs, the fodder is still pretty decent!

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

I think mezzos is gone way down hill, slow with the food and its not as nice as it used to be. shishirs is a lovley place, one of my favourites now. Although the milder dishes like tika and then are a little to creamy for my liking. kinda sickning. That aside if its thai or a good spicy indian its class.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 musical_notes

Bessacadia wrote:
    Has anyone been to Dante in Mullingar? (under Newbury Hotel)

yes, it was a dreadful experience. Slow service and the tagliatelle looked and tasted like it had been reheated or had been sitting under the lights for way too long.
    In saying this, it *was* only about a week or so after it opened so possible only teething problems.
    We went to Amrita's a few weeks and it was lovely. Oscar's is good too but menu is quite boring I think.
    :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭wiggy69

the lemon tree in portlaoise above grellan delaneys pub does lovely steak , my wife had the chicken she said it was delish and her sis had lamb and she loved it , the steak was 12 oz , savage , would have eaten 2 , the have draught beer too , nice little intimate place to eat about 35 yo yo a scull

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭CGorman

yes, it was a dreadful experience. Slow service and the tagliatelle looked and tasted like it had been reheated or had been sitting under the lights for way too long.
    In saying this, it *was* only about a week or so after it opened so possible only teething problems.
    We went to Amrita's a few weeks and it was lovely. Oscar's is good too but menu is quite boring I think.
    :rolleyes:

Have to agree about Dante, we went on the opening night and the kitchen... was broken... took several hours before we got anything to eat! Because it was the opening night, we said fair enough we will try it again when it is more established... one month later and it even worse - our food was'nt arriving, and the staff were avoiding us, even though we were clearly angry - after many hours we walked out (something we have never ever done before).

I personally love Oscars - you can't beat the pizza; yes the menu is kinda boring... but I almost always order the same pizza (ham & mushroom); so I find it great.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 128 ✭✭MuchSavage

ah remember it well when it opened......had to do it up from amber court. would prefer amber court by a long mile, buddies ain't too bad either, nice burgers. Druids chair also has lovely food!!

Yeah Druids chair can be good - does what it says on the tin, like proper decent food, nottin fancy, but not boring. What do you think of the new Apache, I find the pizzas are only all right, they taste like they've been reheated even though there fresh....

haven't tried the one in mullingar but near enough lived off them last year in college, them and mizzoini's.....hummm pizza...... anyway, don't know to be honest, is it nice?

At first I did'nt really like it - I find the side orders just ain't great... not warm enough the times I got it. But I ordered a Apache Special yesterday - absolutely great, cheap, quick and very tasty, so I suppose I can't complain... althought the driver got lost on the way to my house :rolleyes:

don't help in keeping a pizza warm when they don't know where to go!!! must'nt be from Mullingar if couldn't find ur house too easy, it not that big, or are u out of town?

• Advertisement

Im about 0.9km from the bloody restaurant! The driver had a Northern Irish accent... even still she was quick enough (less than 30mins).

Advertisement