Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good restaurants in the midlands

Options

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 128 ✭✭MuchSavage

long time to wait for a pizza? ever try saagar, that really nice too.....nice place to sit down for a meal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭CGorman

No, I hear its great but im not really into indian food... chinese, italian, irish, you name I like it - but not indian....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

Just to give a differing opinion on Dante's, I went there with a large party, one of which was celebrating their birthday. The unanimous verdict afterwards was that the food was excellent, and was very reasonably priced. The service was prompt and very friendly, our waiter joining in the spirit of things and drinking one of the complimentary sumbuca shots with us at the end of the night. For weeks afterwards I was recommending the establishment to anyone who would listen, so good was the experience our party had there.

I know someone else who went there as a group and had excellent service and food days after we were there. It seems they take care of big groups but ignore smaller tables.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭biggles007

Try Hannigans in Cashel, Tipperary. If you eat there once you'll return for more

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭jamiecake

they italian over After Dark in the square in portarlington is really really nice... however, i moved away from there a few years ago, after dark was a great bar.. now some farmer bought it and is letting in all his underage cousins with no class..

wwooooooppsss... hope didnt insult anyone... :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Polly19

Theres a gorgous pizzzersa in Tullamore,cant think of the name of it,up from The Bridge Center.Absoulty superb

Also theres two chineses in Portlaoise.The new one out in Kilminchy(cant remember the name).Its great for intimate dinners wfor two people if you get a quite night.

Also the Royal China,across from the cinema in Portlaoise serves beautiful food

I've set up a new website which hosts the menus for takeaways in Ireland. I've focused on Mullingar first and so far have 19 menus for mullingar: http://www.takeaway4you.com/countywestmeath/mullingar.html . Nationally i've got 374 menus done, but theres much more to be done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Polly19

Isnt there already a site like that in existance?

Good luck anyway CGorman :)

Yes there is. But it charges restaurant owners about €200 a year for a listing. About 50% of restaurants won't pay for it so i'm doing it for free.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Steve_o

Answer to Original Question:
    1. Traceys, The Heath
    2. Mario's, Portarlington
    3. The Kingfisher, Portlaoise
    4. The Jasmine, Portarlington
    5. The Anatolia, Tullamore

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭pablo21

edengarden wrote:
    The Belfry outside Mullingar on the Castlepollard Road is amazing. Its a renovated church and the food is unbelievable. It is expensive but if you go on a weekday evening and it is reasonable enough! Also can’t fault the Bridge House in Tullamore. The interior could do with an overhaul but the food is great.

had a meal in the Belfry last Saturday and it was absolutely cracking! Top class food and Top class service. the Ambience in the place is amazing. Definitely worth a visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Im sure there is not but anyone know if there are any Japanese restaurants around? Sushi etc. Loads in Dublin, one in Cork i think but never seen or heard anything elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭i am a lady

I went here a few weeks ago and there was a queue of people outside waiting for them to open up!! They put the prices up after 5pm so the Sunday lunchtime period is always busy. Had the most delicious steak sandwich with yummy sauces, side salad and wedges for a tenner! Really good value, fast service and good selection of desserts. My friend asked for chocolate fudge cake which was not on the menu but they managed to rustle it up for her anyway. Highly recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Misty Moon

Hi everyone

Am going to Birr for a weekend soon. Anyone have any recommendations for places to eat there? Will have one vegetarian with us so has to be somewhere with decent vegertarian options - maybe an Indian?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

mullingar: Amritas is the best Indian i have had outside of Dublin.. and even including :D On Par if not better than Jai Pur.

China Palace at the hotel is excellent.. not just the food.. the service!!! We had 3 people always ready to come to our table and refill water, take away plates etc... very fast very efficient and decent price too!

Oh Amritas is under new managment it seems... they have an early bird special menu too. I think there is a full 3 course meal for €17 or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Occidental

Saruman wrote:
    Oh Amritas is under new managment it seems...

Any idea of when it changed. Had a takeaway out of there last month and vowed never to go back near it again. When it first opened food was fabulous. The owner lived in the north of England.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,395 ✭✭✭Marksie

The Lemon tree in Portlaoise is excellent. One of the best i have ever had. AND it was mentioned in the irish times 100 best restaurants in ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Darkbloom

Tullamore-

Sirocco's(neé Senor Rico's) is a great Italian restaurant but they've never changed their menu.

Shishir and the Aadgar(sp?) are both fantastic Indian places.

Jamie's does simple stuff very well. Their steak is the best I've had in Ireland.

The ever-mentioned Anatolia can never be mentioned enough.

And Mezzo is nice enough, but it also boasts the rudest staff in the world.

For takeaways, the Paddy Field and Oriental New Star are the best Chineses. Sorrento's chips are the best in the country. And we have all the usual suspects, but steer well clear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭elekid

Is Amber Court in Mullingar any good? Or the new restaurant out at the Mullingar Park Hotel? I've never been to either of them and I was hoping for a change from Lotus when my family goes for a meal this weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Occidental

Amber Court is generally good. Would have put it on a par with Lotus, but it always seems much busier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭elekid

Thanks, I'd decided to go ahead and book it anyway so it's good to hear a recommendation for it. I've always loved Lotus so it'll be interesting to see what I think of Amber Court now.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Brando_ie

Hatters on Strand Street has a good reputation,

Café Mama (Italian joint) on Pearse street is fantastic (although perhaps a slightly small menu)

For pub grub, The Prince of Wales hotel is the place, surprisingly wide ranging menu, from Italian to Mexican but the pizzas are a bit dodgy, so be warned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Marianne11

Sirocco's (used to be called Senor Ricos) is definetly the most popular Italian restaurant in Tullamore. There's always a great atmosphere and the food is always good - they do great steaks too. I have seen lots of changes on the menu though and they always have chef's specials on.

Made the mistake of trying the place beside it Mezzo and have to agree with you about not only the rude staff, but the food and service was dire. Never again - cheap an all as it may be - definetly not worth the dissapointment.
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

The Wineport has some of the best recipes in the midlands. The setting is amazing too... A local myth is that the helpings are small, this is not the case. It is pricey, but worth it.

(its cheaper than Rhodes D7 by the way!)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

I went here a few weeks ago and there was a queue of people outside waiting for them to open up!! They put the prices up after 5pm so the Sunday lunchtime period is always busy. Had the most delicious steak sandwich with yummy sauces, side salad and wedges for a tenner! Really good value, fast service and good selection of desserts. My friend asked for chocolate fudge cake which was not on the menu but they managed to rustle it up for her anyway. Highly recommended.
    Seconded... Food is gorgeous in there only you cannot book, you have to just turn up and wait for a table, My bf's mate owns the place, they don't make acceptions for anyone re booking unfortunately.. Great menu and not too pricey... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭ELLIEJ

The Aubergine in Longford is fantastic. Lovely choice of foods and a really nice atmosphere.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Hi,

the new restaurant in Temple Spa has just got Bridgestone status. www.gardenroomrestaurant.ie

Not much dearer than anywhere eles ebut God do they know service. We stayed at new years.
    elexes wrote:
    just thought ppl might wana know the billabong on harbour st in tullamore is closing in a few months :(

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Lynfo

Has anybody ever eaten in Fat Cats? Have just booked a table there and would love to hear someones view on it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Lanfear

Haven't tried FatCats, how did you find it?

Had a lovely meal in Spago's of Portlaoise a couple of weeks ago, the food was really delicious, and quite reasonably priced too, about €120 for two, 4 courses including a nice bottle of wine.

Have also tried the Royal Tycoon which is up in Kilminchy, food was also lovely, and the service was excellent, price was similar to Spago's, maybe slightly cheaper.

Interested in trying the LemonTree in Portlaoise and the Fitzmaurice in the Heritage hotel, has anyone any comments on either of these?

Advertisement