Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good restaurants in the midlands

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,395 ✭✭✭Marksie

Lanfear wrote:
    the LemonTree in Portlaoise

absolutely excellent, been there twice now, mouthwatering all the way.
    at 50 euros a head..including wine, it is really good value for what you get in terms of quality

Thats the heritage in portlaoise? Personally i wont go in it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

The Purple Onion in tarmonbarry is the nicest restaurant in the Midlands IMO.
    It was already menctioned in the post but deserves another.
    We Regularly eat there and they never fail to impress us all.
    Great food, lovely staff, and great pint of guinness. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭pablo21

Folks,
    I had lunch in the "New" Newforrest Golf club in Kilbeggan on Sunday and I was very impressed. The setting is beautilful and the staff were very friendly. The food was very tasty and delivered in a timely manner and well presented. Price wise it was very reasonable. Despite the atrocious weather outside (!!) it was a lovely experience and I'd recomend it to anyone! I spoke with the manager who informed me that construction would be starting on their new hotel in June/July.
    Rgds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 natergirl64

Hi

Me and my partner went to Mario Trattorias in Portarlington last friday night for a meal, and i have to give it ten out of ten for the food and service. It was a great meal and very reasonable when the bill came. its the only place i have eaten in since i moved there 3 months ago but I wud defo go back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 DJ Donie

An ideal place is Hatters, below Gertie Browns in Athlone, very relaxed and comfortable, and no bother in going far for pints before or after!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 Tigress

Fluke in Navan treated like no other last experienced such service in NY. The Russell it was called Sunday Lunch Excellent! My hubby had rack of lamb and even asked how he would like it cooked? Just great, we were dressed in Combat gear but were still welcomed despite our dress sense. Sunday Lunch from 2 until 6pm for €23 Excelent choice.

By the way want to go back here for a special occassion so that we can feel special and be dressed up a bit!

Highly recommend to us women who like to feel special in this rat race where youre' worn from minding the kids and looking after everyone but ourselves!!!

ENJOY;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Machiavellian

Lanfear wrote:
    Had a lovely meal in Spago's of Portlaoise a couple of weeks ago, the food was really delicious, and quite reasonably priced too, about €120 for two, 4 courses including a nice bottle of wine.

Have also tried the Royal Tycoon which is up in Kilminchy, food was also lovely, and the service was excellent, price was similar to Spago's, maybe slightly cheaper.

Have only been to Spago's twice, and have had two bad experiences with the actual food, never mind the slow service. The first time I said nothing, but the second time, it really was unedible, I had to send it back. Same dish, the Penne arrabiata. It is only pasta and sauce, so I really do not know how they got it so wrong, twice! (Definitely overdid it with some sort of herb the second time, the entire dish was covered in it, whatever it was!!!) The decor and the bread at start are nice alright, but I do not think that the food is up to scratch.

The Royal Tycoon is lovely. If you are lookin for a good meal, good portion, nice ambience, I would defo recommend there. Cheap too, which is always good!

Just underneath there, in O'Gormans, it too used always be top quality, but I haven't been there in a while, and I heard the old chef has opened up a new resteraunt? Anyone know where? Used to be a good sunday dinner, nice staff, but it can be a bit too packed

Anyone got any feedback on the Heritage in Killenard?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Machiavellian

Lanfear wrote:
    Had a lovely meal in Spago's of Portlaoise a couple of weeks ago, the food was really delicious, and quite reasonably priced too, about €120 for two, 4 courses including a nice bottle of wine.

Have also tried the Royal Tycoon which is up in Kilminchy, food was also lovely, and the service was excellent, price was similar to Spago's, maybe slightly cheaper.

Have only been to Spago's twice, and have had two bad experiences with the actual food, never mind the slow service. The first time I said nothing, but the second time, it really was unedible, I had to send it back. Same dish, the Penne arrabiata. It is only pasta and sauce, so I really do not know how they got it so wrong, twice! (Definitely overdid it with some sort of herb the second time, the entire dish was covered in it, whatever it was!!!) The decor and the bread at start are nice alright, but I do not think that the food is up to scratch.

The Royal Tycoon is lovely. If you are lookin for a good meal, good portion, nice ambience, I would defo recommend there. Cheap too, which is always good!

Just underneath there, in O'Gormans, it too used always be top quality, but I haven't been there in a while, and I heard the old chef has opened up a new resteraunt? Anyone know where? Used to be a good sunday dinner, nice staff, but it can be a bit too packed

Anyone got any feedback on the Heritage in Killenard?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Hello all, I hear of some Thai in Athlone gettin rave reviews, anyone know which one it is? Also, does anyone know anything about the "olive branch" in the town centre?

Thanks in advance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭shazzyshaz

The Olive Grove in Athlone is amazing. Quality is excellent, you get what you pay for.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Occidental

lightening wrote:
    Hello all, I hear of some Thai in Athlone gettin rave reviews, anyone know which one it is? Also, does anyone know anything about the "olive branch" in the town centre?

Thanks in advance.

Went to Kin Khao last night, which is the Thai restaurant in Athlone. It's in Abbey Lane which is just round from the castle at the start of Connaught Street.

Lovely place and food is fabulous. Best Thai food I've had in years and miles ahead of the many Chinese restaurants who do a bit of Thai food on the menu.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Occidental wrote:
    Lovely place and food is fabulous. Best Thai food I've had in years and miles ahead of the many Chinese restaurants who do a bit of Thai food on the menu.

Heard great things about it! There is an Indian called Sagar (spelling?) getting all the rave reviews now! Athlone is sounding like the place to get gout these days. Can't wait for my next visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Hesh's Umpire

Sol Oriens in Killenard (behind the old Thatch Pub) is a fantastic place. Italian food, really good value, smashing atmosphere.
    Others I like;
    Royal Tycoon, Portlaoise (Chinese)
    Agora, Portlaoise
    Mario's Trattoria, Portarlington
    Annamars, Kildare Town (not really midlands but well worth calling to - a really top class place)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 scullivor

Hey lads. Bringing my 3 mates to tullamore for their birthday. Surprising them with the hotel. However one of my mates is in a wheelchair. I want to bring them to a nice restaurant that she can feel comfortable in and can get around easily. Also looking for a nice wheelchair accessable pub for us to go to that she can have a nice time in. I know we are going a saturday night and places wll be hopping but still want her to have some comfort.:)
    Any help will be muchly appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 mcco

pablo21 wrote: »
    had a meal in the Belfry last Saturday and it was absolutely cracking! Top class food and Top class service. the Ambience in the place is amazing. Definitely worth a visit.

Had a meal in the belfry, on the 19th of july 2008.Do not eat here. whatever reputation it had, it has been ruined under the new management. I ordered red wine, it was ice cold at 30 euro a bottle. Even the most greasy spoon will know that red wine should be room temprature. Sent the first bottle back. The second was the same story. The steak I got was dosed in so much salt that you could not taste it and the same with the fish main. the starter was passable.

This is the first time I have ever critized a restaurant, but the bill for 2 mains and 2 starters and a bottle of wine came to 110 euro. If I am paying that I expect a desent wine "not ice cold vinegar" and I expect to be able to taste my steak over the salt

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭muckety

I'm surprised at this review, I had a great meal in the Belfry. Their wine list is really good too, and not overpriced. We had white wine so I can't comment on the temperature of the red (the white was chilled!). Service was a bit unrefined but enthusiastic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Eirgizmo

Just felt I had to add my support for the Belfry in Mullingar.

I have eaten at the Belfry on a number of occasions over the last few months and I really cannot fault it all. The atmosphere is fantastic and it easily surpasses the experience offered by other restaurants in and around Mullingar. The service is efficient but personal and friendly - nothing is too much trouble. Maybe the critics would prefer something a little more formal and less welcoming, but I appreciate the personal touches such as being welcomed by name on return visits etc – to feel my custom is appreciated which it clearly is.

The management really do know what they are doing and the food is always excellent. I can appreciate that the poster who commented negatively may have had a bad experience, but it would be unfair to declare that as the standard. The new owners only arrived in June / July and they have worked incredibly hard since then. Definitely worth a second look!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 student2B

The Garden Room Restaurant is another that cant be excluded fromt this thread. Its in the Temple Spa in horseleap but operates as a separate as well. Food is on another level and there wont be screaming babies either! more info: http://www.templespa.ie/restaurant_details.php

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

Shisir in High Street Tullamore has been mentioned a few times now, I'd like to add my support! Excellent service and great food.

The set menu at lunch is very good too 9.95 for 3 courses!

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭central park

Can anyone recommend a really nice reasonably priced restaurant for a 50th birthday meal in Athlone? ( About 10 people)Looked at the Wineport but its a bit pricey. Any deals going at moment for March bookings?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 chat247

Try Kin Khao, I've eaten there a number of times in the last few months, the food is wonderful, good well priced wine list and very friendly staff. Came over from Mullingar based on reviews by Paulo Tuillio & Tom Doorley in the Indo & Times, both recommended it and I'd have to agree wholeheartedly. Its a little difficult to find the first time but if you like fresh fragrant Thai food its really worth a visit.

Kin Khao Athlone, Abbey Lane, Athlone, Co. Westmeath
    Tel: 09064 98805
    www.kinkhaothai.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭merengueca

Jamies, Tullamore
    Good value, simple food, nice staff and fabulous wine.

The Castle, Tyrellspass
    Frequent flier to this one, love the place - again simple food well done. They also offer takeway service - ideal for a lazy Sunday evening.

Paddy Fields, Tullamore
    First went here about 12 years ago, and it still remains my favourite chinese resturant.

New Forest, Tyrellpass/Rochfortbridge
    Menu promised much, wonderful setting. Hideous service, awful food.

merengueca wrote: »
    Jamies, Tullamore
    Good value, simple food, nice staff and fabulous wine.

The Castle, Tyrellspass
    Frequent flier to this one, love the place - again simple food well done. They also offer takeway service - ideal for a lazy Sunday evening.

Paddy Fields, Tullamore
    First went here about 12 years ago, and it still remains my favourite chinese resturant.

New Forest, Tyrellpass/Rochfortbridge
    Menu promised much, wonderful setting. Hideous service, awful food.

I'd agree with all except the review of New Forest. I was a regular there for most or all of the time it was open and I have to say the staff were lovely. Our little girl was heading into her terrible two's at the time and not the easiest to handle and I found them extremely helpful. I also quiet enjoyed the food there too, and although not at the standard the Castle is at, I wouldnt describe it as awful. Its now closed unfortunatley but I think the blame can lie with the marketing department rather than the floor staff.

chat247 wrote: »
    Try Kin Khao, I've eaten there a number of times in the last few months, the food is wonderful, good well priced wine list and very friendly staff. Came over from Mullingar based on reviews by Paulo Tuillio & Tom Doorley in the Indo & Times, both recommended it and I'd have to agree wholeheartedly. Its a little difficult to find the first time but if you like fresh fragrant Thai food its really worth a visit.

Kin Khao Athlone, Abbey Lane, Athlone, Co. Westmeath
    Tel: 09064 98805
    www.kinkhaothai.ie

I took a few friends to this restaurant on a saturday night recently and it was extremely busy but in spite of this, our table, and every table on the upper deck area where we were seated, had to wait in excess of an hour and a half for our starter's, and these only arived after we made our way to the kitchen to request them. We then waited most of another hour for the main course to arrive. Now the staff were lovely, and apologised and offered us tea/ coffee/ beer etc but it was totaly unacceptable to have to wait that long. I would also have to say, maybe I caught them on a bad night, but the food was average to below average at best. Tasty but nothing special. I will make a point of visiting it again on maybe a thursday or friday night because all the good reviews cant be lies and the staff were lovely. But on my visit they were completely chasing their tails and customers were left sitting as a result.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭miss5

Any recommendations for Athlone on a week night?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭r011ingthunder

Had a really delicious meal here last night. Cannot rate the grub highly enough. Service was excellent, and whilst very friendly wasn't intrusive. Price was reasonable, roughly €35 per head for 2, not including a nice bottle of red. My first time there, and definitely will not be my last.
    I had:
    Veg Soup (of the day): Generous portion, and really delicious.
    Sirloin 10oz: This was just superb, no other word for it.
    Rhubarb Compote: Perfect ending.
    Large appetite sated without wallet being emptied.... nice.

Seasons Restaurant
    24a Market Square
    Portlaoise
    057 868 0809

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭ynul31f47k6b59

I just want to add this place to the list - the food is absolutely fantastic, the staff are just lovely, and the place is very child-friendly. I'd eat there every day if I could afford it :D

It's reasonably priced for what you get - the portions are big, the starters and desserts are generous. The Daytime Menu would probably be the best value - http://www.weirsmultyfarnham.ie/daytimemenu.php and their battered cod is just fabulous!

The last time I was there, I went with my OH and 5yr old, and we had drinks, 3 courses, and coffees, all for less than €50. It would be a lovely place to bring relatives or cousins home on holidays, or for a special occasion. My boy got a bit bored after an hour, and the girls brought him out colouring books, crayons, and toys. I can't recommend this place highly enough!! Multy is a beautiful little spot too.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭slowharry

If your looking for a place for a 50th near Athlone try the Fatted Calf in glasson (in Farrells Pub) the owner used to be head chef in the wineport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 traffordgirl82

Has to be, without a shadow of a doubt, the Motte and Bailey in Mount Temple. Serious food and excellent, friendly service....http://www.themotteandbaileyrestaurant.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Bubblegums

Best Indian for miles on end is by far

'The Indian Prince' in Kilminchy in Portlaoise.

TO DIE FOR :p

Advertisement