Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I am a tiny bit confused on the rules of Texas Hold`em.

Options
  • 03-07-2004 11:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭

Ive been playing 5 and 7 card for years but in the last week or 2 i watched celeberty poker showdown (CPS). They where playing hold`em so i watched it but there was 1 thing i was unsure on.

Is this how it goes?

Every player has to pay in to get cards.(this is the part that consfuses me does the dealer put in less or more than the other people? that wouldent make sence) I play with 5 card that everyone puts in the same ammount but it seems in holdem that the ammount is different for different players. In CPS everynow and again the announcer would say something like "he has a big blind so it will only cost him 200 to raise" but everyone elce will have to pay 400 or 600 to see the flop however one of them will only pay 200 and this was on the first wound of betting.

Every player gets 2 cards face down.

Person to the left of the dealer bets first (unless u have a set dealer in that case the person to bet rotates clockwise round the table

Everyone bets and Raises if they want. when the players see the flop is turned up.
    then more betting then another card, the turn is turned up and then more betting and then the last card called the river is turned up.

So the main issure i have is with the Blinds at the start of the game before people get cards.
    Also one other issue, if one player goes all in before the flop do both players turn the cards face up?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Every player has to pay in to get cards.(this is the part that consfuses me does the dealer put in less or more than the other people? that wouldent make sence) I play with 5 card that everyone puts in the same ammount but it seems in holdem that the ammount is different for different players. In CPS everynow and again the announcer would say something like "he has a big blind so it will only cost him 200 to raise" but everyone elce will have to pay 400 or 600 to see the flop however one of them will only pay 200 and this was on the first wound of betting.

The player to the left of the dealer puts in the small blind, say 50, and the player to his left puts in the big blind, which is twice the small blind. The first player to act is the guy to the left of the big blind, if no-one raises by the time it gets back to the blinds, the small blind can see the flop for a half bet and the big blind for free if he doesn't raise - it follows the usual poker 'everyone must have put in the same amount' for a betting round to end.

Everyone bets and Raises if they want. when the players see the flop is turned up.
    then more betting then another card, the turn is turned up and then more betting and then the last card called the river is turned up.

Yep.
    Also one other issue, if one player goes all in before the flop do both players turn the cards face up?

If one player goes allin and is called by someone no further betting can take place so the cards are turned faceup for a showdown. If one was allin and was called by two or more others who still have chips, the play goes on as normal for the non-allin players although any further bets they make go into a sidepot that the allin player has no claim on.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,955 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

These poker things on tv normally explaint he rules every week ad nauseum but I'll make an attempt to explain it.

In holdem everyone has a turn being the dealer, not physically being the dealer but just in terms of where the betting and dealing will begin for each hand.
    The player immediately to the left of the dealer must place an enforced bet called the small blind and the player to his/her left a big blind. These blinds are almost always 2:1, 25-50 for example. These blinds are often referred to as enforced bets that get the action going. Betting after the flop will begin with the player to the left of the dealer, the small-blind.
    Everyone gets 2 cards regardless and before the flop the person to the left of the big blind (described as Under The Gun) is first to decide. He must decide to either call the big blind, raise to at least double the big blind (or more) or fold.
    When the decision reaches the player on the small blind then assuming it hasn't been raised he only has to put in half the big blind to call as he already has half in (enforced and effectively gone unless he plays). He can of course raise as can the big blind, who can also just check, yet again assuming it hasn't been raised.
    The blinds introduce alot of strategic considerations, one in particular being that with money already effectively in the pot then someone raising before the flop has something he can win if nobody calls. Taking the blinds and nothing esle is often referred to as stealing the blinds as in later stages of tournaments with large blinds it can be quite profitable to win them.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Fr0g

Have a look here and follow the links

Advertisement