Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

L plates

Options
  • 03-07-2004 12:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭

Must the red L have a white box around it, or is a thin white border acceptable?

I have seen both, the latter "stealth L" seems to be popular

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭TommyK

Originally posted by vector
    Must the red L have a white box around it, or is a thin white border acceptable?

I have seen both, the latter "stealth L" seems to be popular

Afaik, there *is* a regulation size, which means they *do* have to have a particular amount of white space to make up that size.

I don't know what the size is though but, obviously, it's not very well enforced. I'm sure the size they are when you but them is the correct size.

If you plan on cutting them down, I'd think it advisable to get poroper sized ones when doing your test, at least. You don't want to be refused permission to do the test on the basis of something like that!

Tommy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

found this, in relation to Class C and others, but not class B (cars), I suppose it is the same, in another SI or Act.

Road Traffic (Licensing of Drivers) (Amendment) Regulations, 1979.
    (S.I. No. 337 of 1979.)

"...displayed on the vehicle rectangular plates or signs bearing the letter "L" not less than six inches high in red on a white ground, in clearly visible vertical positions to the front and rear of the vehicle"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Kersh

And make sure when you stick it in the window that it is the right way round when looking at it from outside :rolleyes: .
    I have lost count of the amount of times I laughed to myself cos some idiot stuck it on from inside the car and put it the right way round as they stuck it on.
    :D:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

Of couse you are not supposed to put it on the window in the first place, you can even fail the driving test for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭raster

Originally posted by John R
    Of couse you are not supposed to put it on the window in the first place, you can even fail the driving test for it.

So where is it meant to go

front - on bumper / bonnet?
    rear - on body

I'm on my second provisional using "internal" L plates (a sticker inside the window with the L on it) and to make ti worse they have the name of the motorfactors under the L, is that wrong?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭dcGT

Originally posted by Kersh
    And make sure when you stick it in the window that it is the right way round when looking at it from outside :rolleyes: .
    I have lost count of the amount of times I laughed to myself cos some idiot stuck it on from inside the car and put it the right way round as they stuck it on.
    :D:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Very true :D ... I've seen this loads of times. Do these people stick it on inside the car and think to themselves, "Well, it looks like an 'L' inside the car, so it must be right" :D:D

DC.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭center15

You have to one on the front window passengers side and one on the rear window. I know someone who got penalty points for cutting out the white part and just had a red L

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

Originally posted by center15
    You have to one on the front window passengers side and one on the rear window. I know someone who got penalty points for cutting out the white part and just had a red L

so a provisional licence can have points on it then?
    are they carried forward to a full licence, if a full licence is obtained during the life of the points?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭jlang

Originally posted by center15
    I know someone who got penalty points for cutting out the white part and just had a red L
    They might have got a fine or a warning, but under what rule would they get points? I thought there was only penalty points for speeding, seatbelts, no insurance and careless driving.

Maybe it was a fine, I know they didn't just get a warning anyway
    center15

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Originally posted by vector
    so a provisional licence can have points on it then?
    are they carried forward to a full licence, if a full licence is obtained during the life of the points?

Of course!?!?!
    What do you think happens
    "Oh but you were only learning when you were caught doing 70 in a 30 zone so we'll just scratch those points out and you can start again"

Originally posted by Sleipnir
    Of course!?!?!
    What do you think happens
    "Oh but you were only learning when you were caught doing 70 in a 30 zone so we'll just scratch those points out and you can start again"

vector was only asking a question, there's no need to be so snappy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

YAWN.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by John R
    Where do people come up with these myths? Of course you won't fail your driving test. The vast majority of people have their L plates inside the car, in fact most L plates are designed to be stuck to the window. Put one on the passenger side on the front window, and one on the driver side of the back window, preferably at the bottom. Minimise loss of visibility. You can't put the front plate on the bottom of the window - no-one will see it.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I agree with Seamus.
    Most people stick them on the glass because a) better visibility for others and b) doesn't damage paintwork.
    If they were failing people for having obstructions like L-Plates on glass then they weoul also fail for tax/insurance/nct disks on the front and for rear headrests blocking the rear!

Advertisement