Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boards.ie SETI Group

• 05-05-2001 8:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭

Hey All,

I've created a SETI (Search for extra terestrial intelligence) at the SETI at home webpage:

setiathome.berkeley.edu

If anyone is currently using SETI and is not a member of a group and want to join the Boards.ie group, then go to the website above and search for a group called "Boards.ie"

Alternatively, for those that don't have a clue what SETI is then go to the website and check it out. It's very interesting to say the least.

SETI@home is a scientific experiment that uses Internet-connected computers in the Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence (SETI). You can participate by running a free program that downloads and analyzes radio telescope data.

[This message has been edited by TinCool (edited 05-05-2001).]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Answers on a stamp postmarked addressed lick and send them to the current question.

Affirmative.

Al.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

hey, thats a ****ing great idea!
    cool.gif

"It is hard enough to remember my opinions, without also remembering my reasons for them!"
    -Nietzsche

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

If looking for aliens isn't your thing you may think about using your cpus idle time to look for molecules that form a protein string that could potentially cure cancer (a bit more worthwhile exercise in my book smile.gif )

There is a boards.ie team set up for this venture as well.. please check it out at:

http://members.ud.com/services/teams/team.htm?id=7B148F5C-3FAD-4BD1-AD50-24D74B6EA65F

"One in four of us will at some time suffer from cancer. The high mortality rate, the suffering experienced by patients from the side effects of existing treatments, and the high costs of treatment all contribute to making cancer a priority for drug research.
    If youre short on cash and want to contribute you can do it by using this handy little piece of software. It has nothing to do with marketing/advertsing/big bad businesses and all it asks you is to volunteer your pc cpu time while youre not using it. It's not spyware and its perfectly safe."

Download the software needed here http://members.ud.com/download/

[This message has been edited by Kali (edited 05-05-2001).]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭OSiriS

I would tend to agree with Kali on that. While I find seti interesting, the alternative he suggests is altogether more worth while, and considering I have had somne relitives who have died from cancer I have joined up for it.

Redesigned

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

I don't think it's entirely fair to start this "more worthwhile cause" thing; to my mind, the search for other intelligent life is one of the single most important things we can possibly carry out as a species. I do acknowledge however that in the here and now, a cure for cancer would be more useful - if less groundbreaking for our race.

I would caution folk though, the cancer molecule checking procedure is a subject of some contention within the medical community, and many researchers consider the computer-matching strategy to be a waste of time - there was a piece about this in New Scientist (I think - one of the journals we get at work anyway) a couple of weeks back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

If you want to find aliens ....

.... just try the CS board!

Changing call sign to SIERRA PAPA OSCAR OSCAR FOXTROT.

Kali's suggestion is definatly more worthwhile.

"It is hard enough to remember my opinions, without also remembering my reasons for them!"
    -Nietzsche

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

My family has also been touched by cancer so I too can see the benefits of doing the Cancer Research thing. Which ever one you want to do is entirely up to yourself, or whether you dont want to do one at all is entirely up to yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

It's between what's cool and what's important.

Which is which? smile.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Cr8or

yea

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Tazzle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Bah, I ran this for years and I can't for the life of me remember what email address I registered with frown.gif

ok, i signed up. i'll be leaving this thing on 24 hours. hey, maybe it'll help smile.gif

-Nietzsche

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭adnans

how come my personal points dont get included with the team points. thats a bit crap since i already have a few thou. clock already with about 21 results returned smile.gif

and yes, i am a stat whore... biggrin.gif

adnans

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Mr.Taz:
    All i have to say to the seti@home boards.ie crowd is.... "OWNED!"
    http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/cgi-bin/cgi?cmd=team_lookup&name=boards.ie

</font>

157 units, you've been busy.

Have my PC in work on it too, so that's 3 comps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Dark-Ninja

My dad has been running that program for about 1 year now tongue.gif

|** Signing Off **|
    [-FI-]-Dark-Ninja-
    Vice Clan Leader and Match Arranger

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Coyote

up you go

Coyote

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

I'm there

Nil Desperandum

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Lord Khan

hmmm not to go too far off topic ... but from the title I though you were going to say something about search for intelligence on boards.ie ... and obivious waste of time, i've been here for ages still haven't seen any.

been doing the cancer one for a while now ... I joined the ShugaShack team for that going quite well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭DeadBankClerk

top user:
        Name (and URL)                       Results received   Total CPU time   Average CPU time per work unit 1)
    1)  SETI@sun                             845851             749.749 years    7 hr 45 min 53.0 sec 
    24) TCD Computer Science (Colm Buckley)  132551             158.847 years    10 hr 29 min 52.1 sec 

What have we found?
    Last updated: Mon May 21 22:05:11 2001 UTC

As of yet, SETI@home has not detected any radio signals that indicate the presence of extraterrestrial intelligence.

[This message has been edited by DeadBankClerk (edited 22-05-2001).]

Advertisement