Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

why I hate the Frames

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

I heard all about then stealing that Bobby Pulls a Wilson song too, lost any respect I had for them when I heard that. When Glenn Hansard played on the Dunphy show he was supposed to play with David Kitt but all of Kittsers band refused to play with him because of the Bobby Pulls a Wilson thing. Ha ha

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

I don't like the frames particularly, there's one very cheesy track that has a banjo in it that they play in Letterkenny all the time that's not very good.

But comparing the frames to what other Irish acts, I can't complain. They beat chunks out of Westlife :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Yes, but week old catsh*t rolling around a rusty tin can hooked up to a speaker beats chunks out of Westlife.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

I like the Frames. Yeah, they're a bit gay with their bubbles and their stories but so what? Some are their songs are genuinely good. They are a bit poppy but I am absolutley delighted at the Frames being in the charts ahead of Westlife or Bob the Builder. They ripped something off, that sucks and it's the first I heard of it. Hands down. But that doesn't take from songs like Fitzcaraldo and the like. They are a bit gay and bubbly, but they never declared themselves an industrial hardcore have they? They write songs that appeal to the 17-20 year old head-scarve wearing public, but Glen hardly says to himself "okay, I'll write this one to get this niche market". The Frames are not my favourite band and I do listen to heavier stuff (Smashing Pumpkins, Pixies, The Used, Funeral for a Friend, My Chemical Romance etc) but a bit of variety never hurts. They are a certain type of band. The sort of band you put on when you're in a certain mood and they are very good at doing that.

When I went to the Frames in December they played a very impressive live show. Glen was very friendly to the crowd and, as his fans were there, did what they paying customers wanted. I met the violinist afterwards and he was super down-to-earth, even talking to me and my girlfriend as Gaeilge. When Glen came out he was in a rush so he only signed a few autographs. But he was anything but pretensious. He even gave me his (fairly expensive, good quality) harmonica, that he used during the show. That hardly sucks, does it?

If you don't like the bubbles and the "I love dogs", fine. I understand. If I went to a Glassjaw gig I wouldn't expect that. The Frames are a friendly type of band that do their own thing. It has happened that their thing is quite marketable. Don't like them, fine. Have a rant. But from what I have seen they are very nice guys who write some (at the very least) decent tracks and send customers home very happy live. Perhaps they are a little too commercial to get the more refined critics' approval, but you have to admit they are leagues ahead of anything else is going to be played on radio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭munkeehaven

i never liked the frames and glen hansard just intensified that. what irritates me is that if you dont like the frames its as if you are backing down on your own culture or something ''you dont like the frames?! oh my gaaawwwwdd''......and by the way mic christopher was wayyy more talented than they will ever be...its a pity that his life was cut short so tragically.

• Advertisement

Overall it's all an opinion at the end of the day....

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭marvin2k

Originally posted by Angry Banana
    I like the Frames. Yeah, they're a bit gay with their bubbles and their stories but so what? Some are their songs are genuinely good. They are a bit poppy but I am absolutley delighted at the Frames being in the charts ahead of Westlife or Bob the Builder. They ripped something off, that sucks and it's the first I heard of it. Hands down. But that doesn't take from songs like Fitzcaraldo and the like. They are a bit gay and bubbly, but they never declared themselves an industrial hardcore have they? They write songs that appeal to the 17-20 year old head-scarve wearing public, but Glen hardly says to himself "okay, I'll write this one to get this niche market". The Frames are not my favourite band and I do listen to heavier stuff (Smashing Pumpkins, Pixies, The Used, Funeral for a Friend, My Chemical Romance etc) but a bit of variety never hurts. They are a certain type of band. The sort of band you put on when you're in a certain mood and they are very good at doing that.

When I went to the Frames in December they played a very impressive live show. Glen was very friendly to the crowd and, as his fans were there, did what they paying customers wanted. I met the violinist afterwards and he was super down-to-earth, even talking to me and my girlfriend as Gaeilge. When Glen came out he was in a rush so he only signed a few autographs. But he was anything but pretensious. He even gave me his (fairly expensive, good quality) harmonica, that he used during the show. That hardly sucks, does it?

If you don't like the bubbles and the "I love dogs", fine. I understand. If I went to a Glassjaw gig I wouldn't expect that. The Frames are a friendly type of band that do their own thing. It has happened that their thing is quite marketable. Don't like them, fine. Have a rant. But from what I have seen they are very nice guys who write some (at the very least) decent tracks and send customers home very happy live. Perhaps they are a little too commercial to get the more refined critics' approval, but you have to admit they are leagues ahead of anything else is going to be played on radio.

I still think theyre annoying though , A definite 10 on the cringeometer , Have you had your cringe detector removed?Or maybe your just a much nicer broad minded politically correct person than me .I mean c`mon guys throw a tv out a window or od or something .

Originally posted by Civilian_Target
    Overall it's all an opinion at the end of the day....

What! how could you say such a thing ? At the end of the day everything is an opinion . you could say that about absolutely any argument .wheres the fun in that ?Try and shove your opinion down my throat ,I can respect that more .

What! how could you say such a thing ? At the end of the day everything is an opinion . you could say that about absolutely any argument .wheres the fun in that ?Try and shove your opinion down my throat ,I can respect that more .

Does that mean I can start insulting Yer Ma??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Originally posted by marvin2k
    I mean c`mon guys throw a tv out a window or od or something .

Now now, there are rules to that, too. You have to have a reason. AC/DC only threw out the telly if there was crappy reception.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Civilian_Target
    Does that mean I can start insulting Yer Ma??

what age are you man , like 6 !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭RichyX

Thank God I'm not the only one who hates that talentless f*ck Paddy Casey! I've honest to Jebus written better songs myself, and mine are utter sh*te for the most part.
    Not so fond of the Frames either but I did give Fitzcarraldo a shot. Bit lame aside from Revelate.

I'm always told they're a live band too. Is that just some bullsh*t excuse?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭Ro: maaan!

Originally posted by XCRichard
    I'm always told they're a live band too. Is that just some bullsh*t excuse?
    No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭munkeehaven

can someone start a new thread about another irritating band, so we can have another biatchin session? so good for the soul....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

How about where those Irish bands who nearly made it went wrong? There have been so many 'next U2's in the last 20 years and not one has actually become consistenly successful. Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Velvet Vocals

Thank the stars for this post!!! I thought that everyone in Ireland loved the frames! They suck donkey balls!! big time. In fairness to them individually they are good musicians but they LOVE themselves..... or to put it another way Glenn Loves him self. I, like so many of you before me hate those poxy stories he tells and how they go on forever and ever and all you can think to your self is SHUT UP AND PLAY ANOTHER POXY SONG SO THIS GIG CAN BE OVER AND I CAN GO HOME!.
    But a thing that really really put me off Glen in a big was was one gig I was at (out of the 4 that I've been subjected to) Glen was on one of his rants about the music industry, how the only way to make is to do it yourselves and how the frames got off their asses and raised the money and put a label together and that if you do it another way your a fool that's being ripped off.He basically said that if you work for a record label your only a puppet and he went on to quote how much money they earned from each album and took David Kitt as an example of someone who worked for a record label and how didn't earn nearly as much money as they did.... what a wanker.
    Later on David Kitt came out on stage and said that he was proud to have been selected by his record label and regardless of the money he counted himself lucky. Not that I like David Kitt either but I thought fair play man!!

And what did Glen say after that?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Originally posted by marvin2k
    I still think theyre annoying though , A definite 10 on the cringeometer , Have you had your cringe detector removed?Or maybe your just a much nicer broad minded politically correct person than me .I mean c`mon guys throw a tv out a window or od or something .
    Fair enough, I can see why you see them as annoying. But they're not crap. My cringe detector is still firmly attached to my belt, and beeps at the first sound of actually crap music. With regard the tv throwing, I'm sure Glen has thrown tv's out the window - only to feel greatly ashamed and then he apologised to the owner and compensated them for their damage, whipped out the guitar and serenaded them to a dreamy sleep and then told the story at the gig the next day.

Originally posted by Ro: maaan!
    And what did Glen say after that?

He apologised and went on about how great David Kitt was...... which could get me started on how I hate the favors for sh*t musicians thing that the Frames seem to do alot, maybe I should just drop the subject:rolleyes:

The gig you're talking about I think was in 2001. For the birds was just released and it was doing pretty well. Glen just saying how everything was going with the band. Telling the audience that the band was out of debt for the first time since they started (about 10 years before that.) The usual kind of thanks to everyone who helped us and stuff. It was quite a big thing at the time. Pretty much all of their fans were in the room. Anyway then he said that it was partly due to For The Birds being on their own label. As an example he took David Kitt, because he was there. Just said that he'd get about 70p or something for each album he'd sell, and that that's what they used to get. But they got 10 pounds/euro whatever for For The Birds. He didn't say anything negative about David Kitt, and even said that that releasing stuff on your own label wasn't perfect and wasn't for every band/artist. Basically they were just happy that it worked well. Later David Kitt just said that it wasn't quite as bad as Glen made it out to be. He said it in a joking way and wasn't pissed off at Glen or anything. Then Glen later said that he felt terrible about the whole thing and apologised to him. It was nothing serious. Then they played a 3 hour set iirc. Good gig.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭adonis

i agree
    they are just crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭s8n

absolute poop.

Originally posted by Ro: maaan!
    The gig you're talking about I think was in 2001. For the birds was just released and it was doing pretty well. Glen just saying how everything was going with the band. Telling the audience that the band was out of debt for the first time since they started (about 10 years before that.) The usual kind of thanks to everyone who helped us and stuff. It was quite a big thing at the time. Pretty much all of their fans were in the room. Anyway then he said that it was partly due to For The Birds being on their own label. As an example he took David Kitt, because he was there. Just said that he'd get about 70p or something for each album he'd sell, and that that's what they used to get. But they got 10 pounds/euro whatever for For The Birds. He didn't say anything negative about David Kitt, and even said that that releasing stuff on your own label wasn't perfect and wasn't for every band/artist. Basically they were just happy that it worked well. Later David Kitt just said that it wasn't quite as bad as Glen made it out to be. He said it in a joking way and wasn't pissed off at Glen or anything. Then Glen later said that he felt terrible about the whole thing and apologised to him. It was nothing serious. Then they played a 3 hour set iirc. Good gig.

Yea I know that deep down he didn't mean it in a bad way, but that's kinda my point. He's so wrapped up in him self and his band and his "aren't we just great" attitude that he didn't even cop on that was he was saying might be considered offensive or upsetting to some people. You said it your self, he said that "Poor 'ol David" only gets 70p per album sold and we get £10... the whole crowd cheered for them and when David came back on he was considerably pissed off... he may have said it in a jokie way but he was pissed, as well he should have been.

Anyway, nuff said. The point is they suck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭drane2

I think it's funny that Glen has The Frames headlining over Supergrass.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭RichyX

Are those t*ssers Bell X1 supporting too?
    They are some boring sods, dullest band to come out of Ireland in years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

:rolleyes:

Bellx1 are fcuking class!!

Originally posted by Angry Banana
    Fair enough, I can see why you see them as annoying. But they're not crap. My cringe detector is still firmly attached to my belt, and beeps at the first sound of actually crap music. With regard the tv throwing, I'm sure Glen has thrown tv's out the window - only to feel greatly ashamed and then he apologised to the owner and compensated them for their damage, whipped out the guitar and serenaded them to a dreamy sleep and then told the story at the gig the next day.

thats exactly what glen would do , damit i wish i had his crooning powers Id be some make of a superhero ,I`d serenade the pants off many young maidens and blow bubbles into slipknot and cradle of filth gigs.

Amen! I watched them for a full 5 mins at Witness 2004 and enough was enough, I disappeared off to the small tent and watched a pretty good band instead, Ten Speed Racer I think it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Epitaph

/wanders in

I like the bassline on Santa Maria

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

i'm quite amazed at the level of animosity towards the frames - methinks its somewhat to do with the over-zealous adoration of th ehard-core frames fans - you guys are positioning yourselves as the equally extreme counter-balance. In a way you are the same - you are all madly passionate Frames fans. How ironic!
    :p

Advertisement