Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

why I hate the Frames

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Velvet Vocals

Originally posted by RE*AC*TOR
    i'm quite amazed at the level of animosity towards the frames - methinks its somewhat to do with the over-zealous adoration of th ehard-core frames fans - you guys are positioning yourselves as the equally extreme counter-balance. In a way you are the same - you are all madly passionate Frames fans. How ironic!
    :p

OR...... They just suck and we just don't like them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

What annoys me about the Frames is that there are so many great Irish bands that are ignored for the most part and these guys who are mediochre at best are lauded as musical champions. There's no justice!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Originally posted by Saint Something

that's exactly what a frames fan would say!
    point proven!
    :D

that's exactly what a frames fan would say!
    point proven!

Touché... with your clever use of words you have proven that I am a true Frames fan at heart, lying to my self and hiding behind a mask of hatred and false insults............ OR..........I just don't like them

Touché... with your clever use of words you have proven that I am a true Frames fan at heart, lying to my self and hiding behind a mask of hatred and false insults............ OR..........I just don't like them

Is this about you mother? Would you like to talk to me about how your pretend hatred of the frames stems from intimacy issues?
    Frames.... windows.... doors..... do you feel like you can't escape from somewhere? Don't blame it on the frames - they only hold the window or door - blame it on the locks! Who has the key? You do! Unlock the doors and windows and forget this silly nonsense about hating the frames! Because, really you are the frames! And until you love yourself you can never love the frames!

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Advertisement

Is this about you mother? Would you like to talk to me about how your pretend hatred of the frames stems from intimacy issues?
    Frames.... windows.... doors..... do you feel like you can't escape from somewhere? Don't blame it on the frames - they only hold the window or door - blame it on the locks! Who has the key? You do! Unlock the doors and windows and forget this silly nonsense about hating the frames! Because, really you are the frames! And until you love yourself you can never love the frames!

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Well RE*AC*TOR ....... you really do take the proverbial biscuit! I think what's really at stake here is why YOU feel the need to defend the frames. Lets look at that for a moment. You come to a thread entitled "Why I hate the Frames" to challenge the people here. Is it that you desire attention, crave excitement and wanted to stir it up. Deep down you too hate the Frames. But in a vain attempt to get a reaction (RE*AC*TOR) you have convinced your self that they are a good band and you are going to fight their corner. When really, lets face it, it couldn't be more obvious that you have issues with your father.....

;)

...to get a reaction (RE*AC*TOR) you have ...

v.good :cool:

v.good :cool:

Of courser....your not dealing with an amateur here;)

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 34 tapper

Glen is a fat ****er. i once new a guy organising a charity gig that loads of dublin bands were playing at and he asked glen to play. Glen said he would but not to put his name on the set list cuase he didn't want it to turn into a glen hansard gig when all his fans would show up. Then the **** had the nerve not to bother showing up and when the organisers called him he just turned off his phone! it was for charity for ****s sake!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭angelofdeath

i quiet like the frames, please don't hurt me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,573 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Here's an interesting article from the Culture section of the Sunday times yesterday

On August 21, one of the more peculiar occurrences in Irish rock will come to pass when the Frames headline an open-air concert in Dublin’s Marley Park, a capacious venue that has accommodated REM in the past and will be graced by Dido a few days after the show by Dublin’s veteran crusties.
    For an act bereft of any significant international profile, and more usually to be seen in the snug confines of Whelan’s in Dublin, playing to the same few hundred for whom they are less a band than a system of belief, it is an audacious move.

Yet there is little doubt that they will pull an audience in the tens of thousands, defying the sceptics who predicted they could not fill the Point. For the Frames, despite their dire music, are one of Irish rock’s more remarkable phenomena.

In a vista littered not so much with failures and successes as parables of degradation and occasional, generally fleeting triumph, the Frames are unique. Whereas every act of consequence other than U2 has conformed to one dismal archetype or another — succumbing variously to flaky management, substance abuse, venality or creative exhaustion — they have gone on, surviving one near catastrophic error after another.

Indeed, if anything they were wilful in the way they signed one bad deal on top of another after they were formed by singer Glen Hansard in 1990, careering from Island Records to Electra to ZTT.

Their response to adversity was generally perverse, as when they hired Pixies producer Steve Albini and yielded an album rather more industrial than expected by Island, which wanted to groom Hansard more as an acoustic folk act. Others among their Irish contemporaries, faced with similar circumstances, simply gave up or turned to the chicken-in-a-basket circuit or performed more thorough acts of career immolation.

The Frames carried on and refused to become embittered, something which has ensured that even those unmoved by their work respect and even admire them.

As they have gone on they have accumulated around them a scene of sorts, remarkable for its lack of critical faculties, its participants existing in a haze of contentment and human fellowship, faintly Rasta but without the thorny problem of Haile Selassie.

One has to reach back a generation and more to find any act more than remotely analogous. Horslips and Rory Gallagher similarly went down creative dead ends, maintained bedrock support at home but failed to make much impact abroad. But even Horslips were big on the neon shamrock circuit in America, and Gallagher was big in Germany.

The Frames’s closest Irish forebears are showbands such as the Royal and the Big Eight. Though creatively less rigorous than the Frames, they similarly had significance within Ireland but none outside.

As with the Frames, it became both sustenance and limitation. It allowed them to go on for what looked like it might be forever, until the tectonic plates finally shifted beneath them, as they must for the Frames, the greatest showband in Irish rock.

:dunno:

Ohhh so Marley Park will be graced by Dido ???!!?! - but The Frames are "dire".

Also Steve Albini was producer for For The Birds - their "softest" album to date - and they had long since left Island. They only had one album with Island the little known piece of sh*t Another Love Song . Between that and Albini - they released Fitzcarraldo and Dance The Devil.

No international presence - it wouldn't be huge but they tour US and Australia regularily enough - and I first heard of them in London - Tower Records - Picadilly Circus - DTD was one of the months "recommended albums".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

That chip-shouldered hack should write for NME :p That's piss-poor journalism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

Are you sure it was Steve Albini? I don't think Glenn has name checked him a few thousand times or anything? "recommended albums" in Tower Means nothing, the staff pick their favourite bands for that. I moved one to Nanna Mouskouri once and it was still there two weeks later
    :dunno:

Also Steve Albini was producer for For The Birds - their "softest" album to date - and they had long since left Island. They only had one album with Island the little known piece of sh*t Another Love Song . Between that and Albini - they released Fitzcarraldo and Dance The Devil.

No international presence - it wouldn't be huge but they tour US and Australia regularily enough - and I first heard of them in London - Tower Records - Picadilly Circus - DTD was one of the months "recommended albums".

Originally posted by FX Meister
    Are you sure it was Steve Albini? I don't think Glenn has name checked him a few thousand times or anything? "recommended albums" in Tower Means nothing, the staff pick their favourite bands for that. I moved one to Nanna Mouskouri once and it was still there two weeks later

Gil Norton produced Fitzcarraldo AFAIK. Steve Albini definetly didn't arrive on the Frames' scene till For The Birds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

I'm taking the mick, he told everyone in Ireland and their mothers about his connection with Steve Albini

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Originally posted by tapper
    Glen is a fat ****er. i once new a guy organising a charity gig that loads of dublin bands were playing at and he asked glen to play. Glen said he would but not to put his name on the set list cuase he didn't want it to turn into a glen hansard gig when all his fans would show up. Then the **** had the nerve not to bother showing up and when the organisers called him he just turned off his phone! it was for charity for ****s sake!
    ****! Glen ****ing **** **** **** **** Glen hate ****. I win :).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭iceman_2001_ie

Originally posted by Angry Banana
    ****! Glen ****ing **** **** **** **** Glen hate ****. I win :).

Abso-fcuking-lutly
    Hands down.

I saw the Frames twice.
    First in the Everyman in Cork, which I have to say, was a fine gig.
    Fine as in 5/10, 3/5, you-have-nothing-to-do-and-get-a-free-ticket-sure-why-not gig.

The second time was the Cork Opera House - New Years Eve.
    They were terrible. I can't put my finger on it, but they just didn't click. I was watching people around me pretending to be enjoying themselves, and downing another double Vodka. You could have played YMCA for two and a half hours and some of these fools would have enjoyed it.

I'm off to see them in Marley Park. My excuse, my g/f loves them and bought me a ticket. I saw REM last summer and have good memories of that night. I hope the Frames don't fcuk those up.

For the record, I don't hate them, I just hate the stories. Damien Rice does the same sh*t. I hate Damien Dempsey, Paddy Casey, Mundy, John Spillane and above all THE F*CKING THRILLS. They played before Christmas last year in The Olympia.

I had a choice between them and going to the cinema to see Love Actually.

All I'll say is, Keira Knightly is hot.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Originally posted by iceman_2001_ie
    Keira Knightly is hot.

The most sensible statement in this thread so far! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Kone

Hear hear!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Paddy Casey's not at all bad, but you're right, I saw the thrills at Witness last year, having never heard of them before, on a recommendation, and they were shite! They were absolutetely deadly fucking boring, what a waste of time.

And yes, Keira Knightly is hot. But if you had to choose between her and Kirsten Dunst, what would you do? I dunno, I think that sort of decision would kill me :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Both, of course. The order (if any...) is up to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭article6

Thanks a lot, now Keira Knightley and the Frames are linked in my mind for ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭RichyX

But she has no breasts...

ka_keira1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭marvin2k

those guys Paddy Casey , Damien Dempsy , Frames Bell X1 ,picturehouse,whatever , .I mean they have some `nice` songs and they sound really `nice` but I often get the feeling that people just like them because they are Irish , ya know up the home scene etc . I dont think you can treat music like that I dont think its a geographical thing like sport . I think they were told to like them by the massive Irish exposure these guys get , they gigged in my college more than the Revs for ****s sake , I wouldnt be suprised if I went home and the Revs were playing in my Bedroom . Those bands all give out cds in freshers packs called essential freshers listening .The irish bands with real attitude and decent fun live shows like giveamanakick ,berkley etc dont have the support networks and friends in high places that the current swarm of Irish bland folksters have

• Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

*whistles to himself*

bump!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

John2 wrote:
    What annoys me about the Frames is that there are so many great Irish bands that are ignored for the most part and these guys who are mediochre at best are lauded as musical champions. There's no justice!

Hmmm replace Frames with Thrills in that sentence and I totally agree with you...

I think this whole people like the frames as a system of belief is a load of old tosh, firstly because im constantly drawn by myself to listen to their music and secondly I've played them to my parents and they like them, I can't see how they'd be part of this system.

that picture of Keira? wtf? I'm gonna go watch my brothers copy of pirates of the carribean to reassure me that photoshopping can to anything!

Kone wrote:
    Hear hear!

Thanks Kone! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

Unnecessary stress can cause cancer. Remember that.

As for the subject at hand...I own most of the albums, I'm not a huge fan by any means. I've enjoyed some of their music and skipped through lots more. I thought the last album was their best. I've always heard Glen was a tosser, but having only seen them twice live I don't really recall the inter-song banter getting on my nerves too much, but then I'm an easy-going kind of guy, and I'm not all that easy to antagonise. More to the point, I don't know him, never will, and care no more if he's a prat or not than I do any TV presenter.

Having an ego and acting like a self-adulating díck is fairly common in the music business, and if you were to use this as the sole basis for disparaging a band then very many genuine music legends would be deemed shít.

This thread has many constituent parts. One is a dislike of the band's music, which is fine. The other is a dislike of Hansard and attacking him, which again is fair enough really. He's there to be harpooned like all (demi) celebrities. But certainly yes, there is also the element of the Irish mentality of turning on people who have attained some degree of success. Success as an affront to our taste buds. How many other Irish bands could have Supergrass supporting them at Marlay park? I can think of one. You'd wonder if Supergrass ever even heard of The Frames..but I suppose the money must be alright.

All this lark about there being so many more talented Irish musicians than The Frames/Damien Rice/Damien Dempsey is boll0cks, for a couple of reasons. One is that isn't it a little odd that its only the shít bands who do well, and the good ones don't? "It's not me who's crazy, it's everyone else in the world".

The other reason is that music is a subjective thing, quite a few bands have promised much, deserved more and fell by the wayside. Quite a number of bands named by someone when lamenting how less talented bands are getting more exposure suffer from nothing more than a lack of talent. Oh call it what you like, say it's an industry conspiracy. Say that it's an unfair lack of coverage by the Irish media who are all intent on promoting whatever brand of folksy rubbish is on the up at the time. And if all else fails, then just say that people have crap taste, they like The Frames for god's sake, no wonder giveamanakick can't get a break. But whatever you do, don't admit to anyone that it might be because they're not good enough. Appeal is an important part of music. If you don't have it, can't retain it, or can't create it then that's why you failed. If you can make enough people like what you do, pay for what you do, and want to watch what you do then you will be a success. If you can't, then you didn't deserve to make it anyway.

In my opinion, Whipping Boy produced one of the great all time Irish albums and then spectacularly failed to capitalise when global success seemed theirs for the taking. I think they were superior to The Frames, and indeed most Irish bands of the last decade. But what can you do? Some people didn't like them, and if Heartworm had actually sold shedloads then loads of people wouldn't have liked them, and maybe there'd be a thread of an even more vindictive hue on them right now.

The Frames, whatever you think of them, have hung in there for a long time when quitting and going back to the day job would probably have been a better, more sensible idea. And now they have Supergrass supporting them, if only for a once off. I wouldn't begrudge them their limited success.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

FX Meister wrote:

hahaha! good stuff.

i hear hansard has an ipod full to capacity of his own demos.

only in ireland people, only in ireland. They couldnt sell out a toilet in england.
    If mundy or paddy casey can make it here, anyone can.

Advertisement