Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What can go wrong setting up BB?

• 03-07-2004 7:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭

I just picked up a copy of PC Live today, and read an interesting article about Broadband and tech support in Ireland.

Now the head technician from IOL was stating the mnay things that could go wrong both exchange wise and user wise. One of the things he mentioned was poor wiring.

Now in my house, I ran a wire from the socket, through the attic and down into my room using fairly cheap cable.

Has anyone here fallen foul of poor quality wiring in their house and if so could you describe what made it not work.

The reason being, Im getting BB, I have it ordered and it _SHOULD_ be here for next Friday, I'm fairly handy with computers but in reading this article,it really has made me question whether I will be able to use the service at all, due to my poor quality cabling through the attic :/

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭tomk

You'll probably be OK. I haven't read the article, but in general, problems with BB service are caused by bad wiring coming into your house i.e. your physical Eircom line. If you're line has already passed the test, then you should be fine.

If it doesn't work off your extension, make sure it works from the master socket, then replace your extension cable with some better quaity stuff.

Advertisement