Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

smtp errors for a form

Options
  • 03-07-2004 8:01pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭

Right im trying to set up a form that will forward contents on a email address

I have tried 2 different php scripts ive found on the net one being nvform and the other phrom (im sure some out there are familiar with these

anyway i got the following error when i tired both scripts

Warning: mail() [function.mail]: SMTP server response: 451 See http://pobox.com/~djb/docs/smtplf.html. in file/path/phormjr.php3 on line 226

so im guesing its a server issue?
    im with host365 and they dont seem to have issue about this so what can I do?

Are the scripts im using wrong

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Why are you using smtp?
    You shouldn't have to use smtp in a php script unless you have a particular reason.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

I dont really care if im using smtp or not, I just want to get a script working

SMTP just comes up with the error message
    Maybe its the fact that im using php as opposed to asp or perl is the problem!?

Just make sure you read the documentation that comes with the script you are using. If you are getting an SMTP error that would suggest that it is trying to use SMTP to send the email.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Use formmail.pl you'll find it here . Its easy to set up even I could do it. Its a cgi Script btw and not php.

Originally posted by The Muppet
    Use formmail.pl you'll find it here . Its easy to set up even I could do it. Its a cgi Script btw and not php.
    Form mail is evil.
    Don't use it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

Latest formail is good.

Use freely.

;p

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭dredg

Originally posted by steve-hosting36
    Latest formail is good.

Use freely.

;p
    Yeah. Sure.
    # @referers allows forms to be located only on servers which are defined     #
    # in this field.  This security fix from the last version which allowed      #
    # anyone on any server to use your FormMail script on their web site.        #

@referers = ('scriptarchive.com','209.196.21.3');

This is checked in a perl function later in the script:
        if ($ENV{'HTTP_REFERER'}) {
            foreach $referer (@referers) {
                if ($ENV{'HTTP_REFERER'} =~ m|https?://([^/]*)$referer|i) {
                    $check_referer = 1;

Net result: it checks that the HTTP REFERER matches one of the values given in @referer. How feeble. It's pathetically easy to forge a referer. Check your http logfiles for a referer of 'steve.hasnt.got.a.clue.org'.

Please don't reccomend that people use this script. You clearly have no idea what you are talking about.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Yea cheers but I need it to work on a windows platform

Any others?

Depending on your provider you should have access to:
    asp
    asp.net
    perl
    php
    frontpage extensions

and maybe more on Windows. Take a wander over to http://www.hotscripts.com/ and see what you can find.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

Our hosting management system deploys a nice, secure formmail for customers via an automated wizard, its never given us a problem. I'm certainly not going to get into a 'contest' with representatives of other hosting companies about who has a clue or not.

Stephen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭dredg

Originally posted by steve-hosting36
    Our hosting management system deploys a nice, secure formmail for customers via an automated wizard, its never given us a problem. I'm certainly not going to get into a 'contest' with representatives of other hosting companies about who has a clue or not.

Stephen
    That was not my intention
    My point was (and still is) that formmail.pl is a ridiculously insecure script and any security that has been put into it is feeble at best. The script cannot be trusted and is easily exploited.
    Maybe your version of formmail.pl *is* secure. If it is an unmodified version of the one linked to on scriptarchive, then I doubt that very much. If it has been modified, I would very much like to review and audit it :)

Disclaimer:
    My opinions, not necessarily those of my employer. Use at your own risk. No warranty, express or implied. I may be misguided, misinformed or misunderstood. Or on crack for that matter. Best Before Jan 19100. etc. etc. etc.

Advertisement