Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Whats better? Euro or the World Cup?

• 03-07-2004 8:18pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I think the Euro is much much stronger....look at all the groups much better teams in them.At the world cup you allways have at least one crap team in a group...ie North American or Asia.

The european championship sould be harder to win as there are some teams in the world cup that don't deserve to be and they qualify becuase they are in easy groups.

Take the worst teamd in Euro 2004 Latvia,they held Germany to a draw,you would not see that at the world cup.

What do you lot think....?

Whats better? Euro or the World Cup? 4 votes

Euro Cup
    0% 0 votes
    World Cup
    100% 4 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Look at the Fifa rankings. Do European teams make up the majority of top 30 teams?

Originally posted by Dub13

Take the worst teamd in Euro 2004 Latvia,they held Germany to a draw,you would not see that at the world cup.

Yet you would see Senegal beating the France, the then champions?

At that, Ireland were not considered to be much better than Latvia before our first tournament!!! Yet look at how that turned out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Define better!

This years Euros hav'nt been of high technical standard though some great games and high tension. The World Cup is too darned big now with 32 teams, far to many makeweights. Euros better as less crap.

Mike.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Senega would be one of the better teams in africa,I am talking about Tunisia and Egypt these kind of teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Hmm has to be the World Cup for me :) A little more of the unknown which is always entertaining. Although this Euro Championship has been very very good all the regulars were out quite early !!!

• Advertisement

Senega would be one of the better teams in africa,I am talking about Tunisia and Egypt these kind of teams.

They were not considered one of the better teams before the tournament thought. France were a sure thing and Senegal winning is still one of the biggest shocks ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Definitely the WC for me too. Maybe its because Ireland haven't been in the EC since 88 so wouldn't be as interested.

Originally posted by jesus_thats_gre
    Look at the Fifa rankings. Do European teams make up the majority of top 30 teams?

Very few teams from outside Europe add to the world cup (Argentina,Brazil,Nigeria and one or two more)But how many good teams do we leave behind in europe Holland 2002 (LOL) etc etc and how many teams from outside Europe weaken the world cup LOADS

Very few teams from outside Europe add to the world cup (Argentina,Brazil,Nigeria and one or two more)But how many good teams do we leave behind in europe Holland 2002 (LOL) etc etc and how many teams from outside Europe weaken the world cup LOADS

I am basically voting for the Euro's...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

WC for me, more teams means more matches, i like watching football
    also you have the addition of brazil and argentina and maybe another decent south american team

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

World Cup. If only because it has Argentina and Brazil.

There are more makeweights in the WC, but the style of football is so much more varied, while the tournament is longer and also steeped in history. I don't find the semis and final of the Euros anywhere near as dramatic or meaningful as the WC.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,131 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Originally posted by kaids
    World Cup. If only because it has Argentina and Brazil.

There are more makeweights in the WC, but the style of football is so much more varied, while the tournament is longer and also steeped in history. I don't find the semis and final of the Euros anywhere near as dramatic or meaningful as the WC.

Yup, I agree. World Cup for me too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

has to be the World Cup for me .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

The European championships.

Due to it's duration and number of games World Cups are pretty much impossible to win for anymore than a handful of teams, which limits the interest from the start. Also the competition goes on too long, there is too many games and there is too much of a gulf between the best and the worst competing nations, making the group stages themselves almost completely superfluous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

So what do everyone mean by "better"? Better for entertainment? Or better as regards standard?

The world cup IS better regarding standards and competition, it is way harder to win a world cup than a euro.

Personally I think the WC is better for entertainment too as there are far more unknown quantities and teams like Nigeria that you would never get to see. But I also see the point that the euros can be better because there is less of a gap in standards between the teams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

World Cup for me

Euro 2004 hasnt done much to change that opinion

Euro 2004 has not been the best European Championship so dont just think of Euro 2004 think of them all,I jussst think that to many weaker teams arer in the world cup.

Advertisement