Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

We have to wait for next form of internet access?

• 03-07-2004 8:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭

Hello, I have recently been told, numerous times that I cannot get broadband even though it's in my area, and the reason for this is most likely my line. Is there anything I can do to get a better line? Is there anything I can do to get broadband? I have tried ringing up and people I get through to have never heard of the 72 hour test.... I am dying to get broadband and people all around me have it. If I cannot get broadband do I have to wait for the next affordable form of internet access to come to ireland in like ten years?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Have you tried Wireless from a WISP like IrishBroadband?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Wireless? as in sattelite? I looked that up and it's like $1000 + for installation and I heard that it is terrible for games which is what I want broadband for, I want to be able to play Xbox Live also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

no not sattelite something like this
    http://www.irishbroadband.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Originally posted by Call Me Jimmy
    Hello, I have recently been told, numerous times that I cannot get broadband even though it's in my area, and the reason for this is most likely my line. Is there anything I can do to get a better line?

Complain .....persistently and at length .

phil.nolan@eircom.ie is head of complaints.

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

satellite is a definate no-no for most irish people, however wireless is pretty much the same as ADSL etc, except without the need for a phoneline. Ping times are the same or better with wireless, upload speeds are better with wireless (some products) etc.

But wireless also has similar problems to ADSL. With ADSL you have to pass a line quality test, if you fail, thats it, no broadband. With wireless you might experience interference, which basically means you're screwed, and can't get wireless.

The old 2.4ghz gear is prone to interference, but the more expensive businesss stuff isn't, and supposedly neither is the newer 3.5ghz gear.

• Advertisement
Advertisement