Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Moped Insurance

Options
  • 03-07-2004 9:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭

I have a moped for a year now and my first years insurnace was €621 (third party), i havent had any accidents or any thing like that all year and i just got a letter in the post about renewing my insurance cos its up in 2 weeks but there quoting €690 now. The compay is Hibernian. I was wondering does anyone know any insurance companys that could be cheaper???
    Please, im desperate
    Thanks
    FI

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Eye

well i dunno what age you are as you never said in your post but for bikes there is only 2 choices in this country, Hibernian who your with and the other is Carole Nash.

the thing is with carole nash they generally only insure people over 21 so if your under 21 chance are they wont even quote you. maybe someone else could say if they know wether carole nash cover moped...they probably do but in my experience they usually prefer to insure larger bikes over say a small 125cc bike so on that i don't know about moped. would be worth giving a ring to find out as it is your only other option in this country for insurance on any kind of bike :(

technically there is a 3rd company i almost forgot to mention which would be AON but you can only get insured with them when buying a bike/scooter through a dealer who deals with AON.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Try Aon...(I think thats what they are called) I got a price of them last year and they were going through Hibernian so me being the cleaver dick that I thought I was I said it must be cheaper for me to just go through Hibernian and leave Aon out...well it worked out much cheaper to go with Aon.Why I dont no but it did.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

Also, Aon are now using AXA as opposed to Hibernian. That's all well & good, if it brings the premium down. I was quoted €1300, same as when Aon used Hibernian. Ahh well.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭a_ominous

When did AON move over to AXA? I didn't it had happened already! I had heard it was in the pipeline. Went into Capital Honda a few weeks back looking at various bikes and the young fella wouldn't quote me for AON as I was a Hibernian customer.
    I just changed over from Hibernian to Carole Nash. Marginally cheaper insurance than Hib (about 50 yoyos), but still 100 more expensive than last year. "No accidents, claims or convictions" as they say and more NCB and advanced rider training. WTF?

To the OP: AFAIK CN won't insure you. The policy seems to be over 23s, 2 years NCB and bike >250cc for FC. Not sure about the TPO criteria. Hibernian have increased premia twice this year by about 30-40% depending on group /age.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭jo.king

I got my best quote off www.insure.ie for my car...they might do bikes aswell?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Weird, my insurance (Hibernian) dropped by about 200 quid this year. Probably something to do with me being over 21 now and having a maximum no claims.

€540 TPO, ageing Virago 125.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by Eye

the thing is with carole nash they generally only insure people over 21 so if your under 21 chance are they wont even quote you.

24 actually. I rang for a quote on a 49cc vespa a few weeks ago (i'm 23, f, provisional licence) and was told, sorry we can't quote you until you're 24. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Kazujo

If AON are now using AXA does that mean that AXA will now quote directly?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by eth0_
    24 actually. I rang for a quote on a 49cc vespa a few weeks ago (i'm 23, f, provisional licence) and was told, sorry we can't quote you until you're 24. :(
    Any no claims eth0_?

I'm 22, 2 year's NCB, provisional, and they insured me.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭deecom

Carol Nash seem to quote you if you have a full licence, thats clean, 3/4 years no claims, and bike above 600. But once they insure you you can insure any bike with them. Or if you like Seamus they like you!:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

Originally posted by a_ominous
    When did AON move over to AXA?

Start of July apparently.
    If AON are now using AXA does that mean that AXA will now quote directly?

You'd think so, wouldn't you? Give em a ring and find out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭batman_oh

carole nash most certainly will not insure u on anything, that was what aon did
    any1 i know below 30 drivin a 600cc + sportsbike is with aon
    my mate was with nash since 18, had 5 years no claims with them and tried to get quoted on an r6
    they told him they wouldnt quote him till he was 26 on it
    they wouldnt quote me on a 400 at 22, managed to get a quote at 23 and they wont qoute me on anything bigger
    a firend of mine had a ducati 916 with aon at 21 and hes drivin his second zx7r now at 22, i aslo know 2 people with r1's who are 22, and another guy i know was insured on an sp1 at 20 with aon
    nash are **** aswell, worse if u wanna upgrade, better if u drive a smaller capacity bike

Advertisement