Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Folders synchronization

Options
  • 03-07-2004 9:53pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭

Looking for recommendations for an application that'll synchronize the MP3s on my hard drive and my iRiver MP3 player (mounted as another HDD). Also to use as a basic backup mechanism for my Maxtor OneTouch. Just some sort of basic folder synchronisation mechanism will be fine, I don't need bells and whistles.

(Not looking for links to download sites, thanks, I've already looked, I'm looking for recommendations based on experience.)

Ta,
    adam

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ColmOT [MSFT]

Have you thought about using the 'briefcase' functionality that was in Windows 98 etc? It's still in Windows XP ? I'm not sure if it'll do exactly what you want, but worth a try!

Click Start->Run-> syncapp

It'll create the Briefcase icon on your desktop.....and from there it behaves exactly like the Windows 98 one.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

a little batch file copies files if newer (does not delete older ones) - so you don't have to click on yes/no on each file in the briefcase
    xcopy folder1 folder2 /D
    xcopy folder2 folder1 /D

or in XP for all files etc. (why do they keep changing syntax)
    xcopy folder1 folder2 /d /c /s /h /r <A.txt
    A.txt is a file containing the letter A

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

http://www.dbpoweramp.com/

His syncing program for mp3 players is superb well worth a download.

kdjac

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

XP seems to support Briefcase, but isn't that a Windows to Windows sync tool?

KdjaC, you talking about Sveta Portable Audio? He doesn't seem to have an iHP-140 driver for that yet? Or maybe I'm missing something?

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ColmOT [MSFT]

Dahamsta, i used to use it to sync floppies and zip disks when I was in university - I think it might work....but it's no guarantee!! I knew more about Windows then than I do now!! :rolleyes: hehe

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Originally posted by dahamsta
    XP seems to support Briefcase, but isn't that a Windows to Windows sync tool?
    Well you did say it was "mounted" as another HDD - so should work - Briefcase is more a windows to media and then media to windows tool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Originally posted by dahamsta

KdjaC, you talking about Sveta Portable Audio? He doesn't seem to have an iHP-140 driver for that yet? Or maybe I'm missing something?

adam

yes thats the one, shame you dont got drivers try it may work asa USB device.

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 5,403 ✭✭✭ando

I find Clone is a superb little program for syncing data in two different folders. I backup 'My documents' to a second HD (5gigs) by just clicking on the program icon. It goes through what has changed in the source folder (C: my documents) and makes a clone of the folder onto my 2nd hard drive.

It took a while to set it up initially because of the mass 5gig copy, but now it just does incremental copies so it only copies what has changed, so depending on what you've changed it will take longer or shorter to backup the files

http://www.download.com/Clone/3000-2242-10216167.html?tag=lst-0-1

Advertisement