Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Cinemas in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ChipZilla

Oh my sweet god, look at these nerds watching the latest episode of Star Trek:

meet.jpg

And these two poor girls are hoping the ground will just open up and swallow them:

ushers.jpg

Some nice set-ups on that site apart from that bunch though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭vicbarry

Oh your just jealous

Yeah it's a nice cinema. I'd just get some school bullies to clear the room out.

On a side note, how much is a set-up like that going to set you back? I'd imagine the furniture is going to be a hefty chunk of the budget...

Those recliner chairs, can cost up to $1000 US or more, and thats just for starters....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭robbie1876

That cinema probably cost between $200k and $500k somewhere. To give you an idea what you can spend on a cinema, check out this site:

http://www.cedia.net/awards/industry_recognition03.php

Level I awards are for cinemas less than $150,000 and Level VII is for $1,500,000 and above.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by robbie1876
    That cinema probably cost between $200k and $500k somewhere. To give you an idea what you can spend on a cinema, check out this site:

http://www.cedia.net/awards/industry_recognition03.php

Level I awards are for cinemas less than $150,000 and Level VII is for $1,500,000 and above.

Holy crap :eek:

Lotto anyone ?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

The home cinema in the pictures above is owned by a guy called Art Sonneborn, and is a re-fit of his existing home cinema. It has an 11 ft wide screen - yes, you read it right...... 11 ft, and uses two brand new Sony G90 CRT projectors in a side-by-side formation calibrated by Ken Whitcombe, one of the best respected projector guys around to achieve what must be the ultimate picture reproduction available. Each of the projectors weighs about 110 kg, and is a 1kW device........... awesome....

Here's a picture of them getting an initial set up on the floor:
    attachment.php?attachmentid=22056

.... and another...

attachment.php?attachmentid=22057

You'd never guess that I lust after a CRT projector.........:D

As for the "nerd" comment, lol........All the other guys in the picture are fellow enthusiasts at a get-together in Michigan, the guy in the middle at the front holding the beer bottle has just taken delivery of a Sony Qualia, a $30,000 projector with native HD resolution...........

Lotto anyone ?

.................... nope...... just become an orthodontisit who wants video perfection..........

The Ritzzzzzzz.

Qualia
    Drooolll. Althought I must say Im rather thrilled with my Sony HS 20 I got on pricejapan in January. Its eagerly awaiting its new home.

With a name like Ritz, I wonder are you a fan of Theo Kalomirakis..good to see a hardcore HT fan in the gaf...

Ahhh, Theo Kalomirakas. I used to have his show off book 'Private Theatres'. It was a beautiful book with some stunning cinema architecture in it. The home cinema technical specs weren't too hot in most of the cinemas, but I guess some of them were 10 years old or more.

I'd love to know if there is anything of that sort of calibre here in Ireland. I've been involved with some nice cinema systems with custom architecture, but nothing that comes close to the cinemas above. Try convincing an Irishman that he needs 8 seats for his cinema costing €2500 each!!!

Nice projector, vicbarry. What sort of home do you have planned for it? Anything custom built?

• Advertisement

I have his 2 books. Amazing stuff altogether. I dont know if anybody comes close in the country to the kind of stuff in the states.maybe theres someone out there somewhere, but I doubt it.

The home I have planned for the Hs20 is going to be a mini theater in my new house. Probably will have around a 13ft throw for it. Maybe someday soon, when I convince the missus that the HT is more important than tiling the kitchen I can have one of the first irish HT meets.

Peace Out - Vic

Hey Vic, I've just copped that that site is your site! Just wanted to applaud you for the idea and the execution of it! Seems to be attracting some good attention from the US.

I've asked a couple of clients of mine for permission to post pics of their systems up, one has agreed so I'll lash up some pics here in the next few days and send them on to you too.

Good work mate!

Robbie

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Originally posted by The Ritz
    and is a 1kW device...........

Bloody 'ell.......

Advertisement