Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

yamigo.com - IM on GPRS phones

Options
  • 04-07-2004 11:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

I have GPRS and Email working wonderfully on my V300 (O2) but I was wondering if anyone had the settings for AIM or MSN (preferably AIM!) for the IM feature?

The fields are IM Server, IM Port and Post URL.

I'd really REALLY appreciate any help! =D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

cant say i'll be of any help but dont suppose u could help me? i bought a V300 pre-paid yesterday and cant get the GPRS working!

any help?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Ciana

um, it depends what network you're on! check out the sticky topics in this forum, I got lots of answers there. :)

ANYone have any idea about the IM issue?!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

sounds like settings to configure Wireless Village services, the operators here don't offer that service as yet though

although there are some 3rd party providers starting up e.g. YamiGo

BrianG

wow, Yamigo looks perfect, thank you!

Next question... does O2 have an internet (NOT wap) APN for speakeasy?! eck!

they do, it's their pp.internet access point, you may have to contact them to get this enabled on your account though.

BrianG

• Advertisement

hmm.... apparently I do have that activated, but for some reason it won't work - should it have a .o2.ie after it? the user/pass I'm using is just user/user - is that right?? lol

thanks so much for your help, you've been wonderful. I have a horrible feeling the person I spoke to on the customer service line had no idea what I was talking about LOL

hi, no it's just pp.internet, but it has been known for a customer support person to either mix up Internet with WAP services (so you need to be clear it's pp.internet you are looking for), or, your account hasn't been set up properly (so you need to ask them to 're-provision' you for the pp.internet service)

also make sure you are calling their Internet support team on 1740, not just 'regular' customer support

username / password can be anything really

if you haven't entered the DNS settings try putting them in:
    62.40.32.33 and 62.40.32.34

BrianG

Hi, I called 1740, and I CAN use pp.internet, but IM still won't work. Eh, well, guess it just wasn't meant to be :P I'll wait til' I move to the UK for Uni in September... I know it's built-in there. =)

My last customer service call was actually quite amusing... the dude insisted I'd only need pp.internet if I had an XDA, and when I tried to explain it to him, he put me on hold (I am SO sick of that O2 hold music heh) and said in a confused voice "sorry, WHAT exactly were you trying to do with the V300?!" as if I was attempting to deface it or something LOL

Thanks for all your help!

I just realised that my neglecting to change service-type from WAP to HTTP when I tried pp.internet may have been a issue. *sheepish*.

would anyone happen to know the gateway IP for pp.internet? the guy on the phone told me, but I deleted it. =/ lol. or what CID1 means? I saw this on a settings page on the web... the page had the APNs and DNS's - all of which I have set correctly - but under Notes it said "Use CID1".

hi, pp.internet doesn't use a gateway IP (whereas WAP does):

the settings you need to use, once provisioned for the service by O2 support are:

apn: pp.interent
    username / password: gprs (or anything)
    dns: 62.40.32.33 (and if asked for a second) 62.40.32.34

CID is usually Connection ID, a way you can refer to the particular connection configuration, can you give a link to the 'web page'

BrianG

• Advertisement

hi, the page I saw the CID1 thing on is http://www.taniwha.org.uk/gprs.html (found via google)

thanks!

hi, those notes about CID aren't relevant to your handset set-up

looking into the Yamigo details they only mention the V525 and V600 set-up:
    http://www.yamigo.com/content/view/18/33/

BrianG

I saw that, but I checked the specs and the V300 has exactly the same chat client (WV 1.1) as the V600, so I thought it would work... maybe I'm wrong. =P in which case I've wasted a good deal of time heh.

I have the browser set up to use pp.internet, and it opens (ie I've stopped getting a "GPRS Network Unavailable" error) but when the page loads I get a "Connection Unsuccessful, try again later" message.

hi, just had a 'virtual' flick through the PDF manual and as far as I can see you set the 'Micro Browser' to use the WAP APN pp.wap.o2.ie (p123) - you should be able to test the (ISP) Internet APN pp.internet with the 'Email Inbox' client and a POP/IMAP email account (p34)

BrianG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭darraghrogan

If anyone is interested - I found an IM & Presence service @ http://www.yamigo.com/

Works grand on my 6230 over GPRS - if anyone manages to connect I've left my mobile online - just look for a group called Boards.ie!

Darragh

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

can you send me the settings you used i signed up but cant get the phone to connect 6230

im on meteor

menu > messages >chat > connect. settings > active chat and presence settings = meteor wap gprs

what else i need to do?

I'm using v5.24 of the 6230 software & my config on Meteor is:

Menu > Messages > Instant Messages > Connect. settings > Current IM and presence settings

Select (empty)

Edit current IM and presence settings

+IM and presence name > Yamigo

+Homepage > http://www.yamigo.com/wv/control

+User ID > wv:darraghrogan

+Password > Have a guess!

+Connection settings

++Settings' name > Meteor WAP

++Proxies > Enable

++Primary Proxy > 10.85.85.85 port 8799

++Data bearer > GPRS

++Bearer settings

+++GPRS access point > wap.mymeteor.ie

+++User name > my

+++Password > 085

Just go back and login and all shall be well. You can also login in My presence under the Contacts menu.

Darragh

im getting login failed

sorry im thick wrong password its logging in now

nope still failed just took a while :(

• Advertisement

if i pm you can you test my settings? ie username?

Menu > Messages > Instant Messages > Connect. settings > Current IM and presence settings

Select (empty)

Edit current IM and presence settings

+IM and presence name > Yamigo

+Homepage > http://www.yamigo.com/wv/control

+User ID > wv:optiplexgx270

+Password > Have a guess!

+Connection settings

++Settings' name > Meteor WAP

++Proxies > Enable

++Primary Proxy > 10.85.85.85 port 8799

++Data bearer > GPRS

++Bearer settings

+++GPRS access point > wap.mymeteor.ie

+++User name > my

+++Password > 085

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 FitzerP

hi folks,

Any idea how this thingy works?

can you use it as a messaging tool...sorry i'm a bit clueless!

thanks!

FitzerP wrote:
    hi folks,

Any idea how this thingy works?

can you use it as a messaging tool...sorry i'm a bit clueless!

thanks!

The idea behind mobile IM is that you are logged onto a computer server over a GPRS Internet connection. It lets you send IM to other users logged into the service as well - possibly cheaper than the charge of text messaging them. Also, you can broadcast a message to a group of users in one foul swoop.

The service in contingent on you having a constant GPRS connection on. Makes it very quick to connect to the web if you want to read the news or something.

Nokia have taken this IM thing a bit further by adding presence to it - When you select profile "meeting" you are designated "Busy" so if someone on the same IMPS server (yamigo.com being an example of an IMPS server) tries calling you their phone will say "X is busy; Call anyway?" Same with not available etc.

Darragh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭su_dios

ok i have a se k700 but its o2 branded so i dont have the myfriends app on it.is there any way i can connect to this?..or even can i install the myfriends app as a java application or somthing along those lines? if not, how easy is it to get the phone flashed, and will o2 do it?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

Has anyone got this to work on SE phones using My-Friends ???

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

Well , Has anyone got this to work on SE phones using My-Friends ???

Or can someone try it . I have but get errors logging on ...

Advertisement