Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I know how to become England Captain

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

dub, you expect too much from ITV
    all of their sports coverage is ****e, so why shouldn't townsend be there? hes no worse than big ron is he?

whether hes won something or not, i can't stand listening to him, so i don't watch matches on itv, and am glad MOTD returns in august

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Gary Lineker is head of BBc's panel, he hasnt exactly won everything in his career. FA cup, Spanish League cup and Cup winners cup. But by your pecking order, Alan Hansen shouldnt even have to talk to him , never mind respect his opinion. So i guess he should get the boot aswell.

best not get you started on Gaby Yorath or Kirsty Gallagher either. Considering they've never played football they should automatically be excluded from any job to do with sport.

Oh, since we're on the subject : Bill o herlihy(sp?) anyone?
    Packie Bonner hasnt won anything either, Mick McCarthy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,314 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Beckham is always in the top 10 in the World player of the year (voted by international managers)
    Very interesting if you look at the countries that Beckham generates his votes in.
    Nearly all of them are third world footballing nations,(Some countries I never even knew existed!) where tv coverage is very limited and his hype overpowers the reality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Originally posted by eyerer
    john giles might not be the most articulate, or have a pleasant voice to listen to, but i think he does have a clue, several times i've watched a match and what he said/predicts happens
    You musn't live in Dublin. He's on newstalk 106 every Thursday for an hour and believe me, there are plenty of people on this forum that would know more about the day to day transfer dealings, players, managers, etc. than he does. He only knows the well known players and didn't even know who Santini was when Spurs appointed him.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Originally posted by Big Ears
    so your saying if Andy Townsend had won competitions , it would be alright for him to be on ITV , even though he may not know any more than he does now ?

No,Andy talks a very good game but do you not think its abit strange when he gives advice on the Champion's League/European Cup when he never got near it when he was playing I dont think he even played in it....My criteria for a pundit would be 1)somebody who can talk a good game and comes across well on TV.Andy meets all the above.2)Has experence in what they are talking about,as they say has been there and done that eg Huges,Irwin,Aldridge and Rush these are just of the top of my head.Now Andy is by no means the worst on TV,I dont even no how we got talking about him.

I am not going to start on Gaby Yorath or Kirsty Gallagher...dont get me wrong nice looking girls but no place in football IMO.I hope it does not get like Italy were all the sports presenters are woman no sorry they are dolly birds.ITV seem to be going this way.

Maybe I am asking to much of ITV,I am glad the BBC are back next season.

Originally posted by Dub13
    No,Andy talks a very good game but do you not think its abit strange when he gives advice on the Champion's League/European Cup when he never got near it when he was playing I dont think he even played in it
    Who is he giving advise to? He's doing the same thing we all do after a match, commenting and giving his opinion on it.

Originally posted by eirebhoy
    Who is he giving advise to? He's doing the same thing we all do after a match, commenting and giving his opinion on it.

Ok,but we are not being paid big money for it or 10Million people are not listing to us....at list I hope not.

Ok,but we are not being paid big money for it or 10Million people are not listing to us....at list I hope not.
    OK, so, what about people who write match reports in the Sun (England's biggest selling tabloid)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

.2)Has experence in what they are talking about,as they say has been there and done that eg Huges,Irwin,Aldridge and Rush these are just of the top of my head.Now Andy is by no means the worst on TV,I dont even no how we got talking about him.

I am not going to start on Gaby Yorath or Kirsty Gallagher...dont get me wrong nice looking girls but no place in football IMO.I hope it does not get like Italy were all the sports presenters are woman no sorry they are dolly birds.ITV seem to be going this way.

Who sponsored Dub13? Ban them I say!

Would you consider Niall Quinn or Alan Shearer as worthy of a place on your panel of pundits? Eamonn Dunphy? Paul Elliot?

I'd rather listen to Paul Elliot on Eurosport's Italian coverage than listen to Bryan Hamilton prattle on. He may not have won anything, but he knows Italian football inside out. For that matter, what about James Richardson? Couldn't kick snow off a rope, but what he doesn't know about Italian football isn't worth knowing.

Finally, I'd hazard a guess that Gaby Yorath is more knowledgeable about football than you will ever be (and less likely to get hung up on a non-issue like whether a pundit has "won things" or not), so lets not insult her intelligence by refering to her as a "dolly bird"

• Advertisement

Originally posted by therecklessone
    Who sponsored Dub13? Ban them I say!

"

Why...?because I have an opinion,so they should ban me because I have my own views...!!What would the world be like if we all had the same views.

PS:The Mods dont need you to tell them how to do there job.

eirebhoy,

Me being a Liverpool (for my sins) I never read the sun,but I see your point.The journalist's who wright in the papers have there view and somebody thinks something of it as they gave them a job,you have the choice not to read a paper which you dont when it comes to ITV and the Premiership if you want to see the EPL you have to watch it,so IMO the should have the best on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

you have the choice not to read a paper which you dont when it comes to ITV and the Premiership if you want to see the EPL you have to watch it,so IMO the should have the best on.

What? Did somebody tie your hands together and glue your head to the TV screen or something?? Use the bleedin' Mute button if it bothers you that much and stop being a baby FFS!!!

B.

BaZmO,
    I am just answering a question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

BaZmO,
    I am just answering a question.

That's fair enough, but you said....
    The journalist's who wright in the papers have there view and somebody thinks something of it as they gave them a job,you have the choice not to read a paper

and then you said....
    you dont when it comes to ITV and the Premiership if you want to see the EPL you have to watch it

which is silly because you "do" have a choice.

Sorry if my original post was abrupt but I just find your point about not having a choice is wrong.

B.

I no we can watch TV3,maybe I should have made this clear if you are in England and you want to watch highlights of the days games you dont have a choice (thats why ITV paid Big money).Ok I no this season MOTD is back so maybe there is no point in going on about this as the BBC to a far far better job.

Me being a Liverpool (for my sins) I never read the sun,but I see your point.The journalist's who wright in the papers have there view and somebody thinks something of it as they gave them a job,you have the choice not to read a paper which you dont when it comes to ITV and the Premiership if you want to see the EPL you have to watch it,so IMO the should have the best on.
    Ah come on, I'm trying to make the same point for ages now. I gave the Sun as an example. The Irish Times, Irish Independent, Evening Herald, The Star, etc, etc, etc. all employ journalists with no football experience to give their opinion and comments on a football match.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

I no we can watch TV3,maybe I should have made this clear if you are in England and you want to watch highlights of the days games you dont have a choice (thats why ITV paid Big money).Ok I no this season MOTD is back so maybe there is no point in going on about this as the BBC to a far far better job.

what about goals on Sunday ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

Folks, there is no football of any note being played (I wont mention the FAI summer league!) but I see that this thread has deteriorated into a squabble, all over whether Andy Townsend is qualified to be a pundit and advise Henry, etc on how he should play or should be played!

I wont join in the squabble, but c'mon, its now close season, there must be many more important things to talk about that affect the sport than this.

Like a lot of media pundits, writers, and even boards posters, I'm taking a break from football for a few weeks.

Judging by the tit-for-tat on this thread, it looks like I'm not the only one that should be taking a break ....

enjoy the summer ....

put your break on hold for the Copa America :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Why...?because I have an opinion,so they should ban me because I have my own views...!!What would the world be like if we all had the same views.

PS:The Mods dont need you to tell them how to do there job.

Lighten up ya whingy f*ck, it was a joke.

Here, have a read of this why don't ya?

what about goals on Sunday ?

whats this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

put your break on hold for the Copa America :)

Yes, you're of course right that Copa America is now on. I've watched it other years but I wont be following it so closely this year due to time constraints. I've caught a good few South American/Brazil club matches on C4 throughout the winter though, which is a partial insight into the development of the sport down there.

BTW, I dont see a Copa thread here on boards.ie and surely it warrants 100 times as much input by posters as the squabble ensuing here. What started off as a joke-like thread has resulted in many posters not laughing!

i'd be interested in copa america, but its only on sky so i can't watch it
    thought channel 5 might have picked it up, but doesn't look like it

I'd prefer to watch the South American WC qualifying matches rather than the Copa America. Look at tonights matches for example. Brazil have brought a second string squad with Edu, Kleberson (currently injured), Adriano and Fabiano the only recognised players. Paraguay have brought their U-23 team that will play in the Olympics with the addition of about 4 other players. Chile are without 9 of their first squad including Salas and Costa Rico are just a poor team and they are also without Paulo Wanchope and Gilberto Martinez.

I have €10 on a Brazil Paraguay double at 3/1 but i wouldn't be suprised if they both lost.

Originally posted by eyerer
    whats this?

Its SKY Sports round up of the Premierships Saturday games .Its a lot longer than the other channels round up programs , and it shows divison 1+2+3(formally known as) aswell (in less detail than the Prem of course , and even showing the lower divisions they stills how more Prem than other channels .

They get 2 different Proffesionels/Mangers/ex-Proffesionels to talk about the games every week .

one time they had both Dean Kiely and Annti Niemi on at the same time before , and they took ages focusing on saves from the days games , aswell as some of the players greatest saves .

although if u go to mass on Sundays u would miss a good bit of it , but they do replay it later on in the day on the other Sky sports channels .

me loves it:)

Just a quick off topic question , anyone interested in Futsal ? , ive never played it myself and have only seen bits of it on TV but I would love to play .

Brendon Menton(former General Secretary of the FAI ) recommended Futsal to be introduced in Ireland especially at youth level , but the idea got rejected :( , those stingy **** inn the FA!!! .

{prevents self from going on a rant }

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Did you not understand....?tell me were I lost you....?

As far as I can deduce, you haven't lost me anywhere. I just find that I have plenty of other things I can be doing rather than trying to decipher your badly composed & punctuated copy. Copy that is consistently written along the lines of.....
    I could name LOADS of people who are at home who have won something anything unlike Andy

or
    I wish he didn't me being a Liverpool Fan but he did I no he did not play in the final

Now don’t get me wrong, I’m not a typo Nazi. I just refuse to respond to sentences that are as badly constructed as yours because I myself cannot even be 100% sure that I am not wasting my time responding to a point you never even made.

BTW, you still haven't given me a player who's surpassed Townsend’s achievements in all the categories I've specified. When you eventually find one, please write their details with more clarity and care than in your previous comments.

Advertisement