Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

woodlice

• 04-07-2004 3:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭

i have woodlice at the back door of my house .how do i get rid of them and do they damage timberwork thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭Chaos_Path

Stamp on them?

or get one of those electronic pestcontrol things from a home improvement store.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Big woodlice...

The discovery of the antarctic "slater" Serolis must
    be recognized as a zoological sensation. The animal
    can grow to a length of 20cm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭Chaos_Path

Originally posted by Capt'n Midnight
    Big woodlice...

The discovery of the antarctic "slater" Serolis must
    be recognized as a zoological sensation. The animal
    can grow to a length of 20cm.

in that case, shoot them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

i tried talking to them but they thought i was mad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by davelerave
    i have woodlice at the back door of my house .how do i get rid of them and do they damage timberwork thanks
    As far as I know they like to eat decaying plant matter. Timberwork probably wouldn't be top of their preferred menu but they do like paper so they'll probably eat decaying timber if they get it.

As for how to get rid of them, they like wetness and hate dryness. Assuming you're not going to go around your back garden with a heater, start by getting rid of decaying plant matter t the back of your house. Getting rid of /all/ vegetation right next to your back door might be good, though depending on what you've got growing, perhaps a little extreme.

Check for leaky pipes. There's quite a good chance that you've a pipe leaking somewhere round that area (above or below ground) and this is attracting them to that spot. Do what you can on this - it's probably more important than the getting rid of leaves or whatever. If you've a mat that's retaining water at the back door get a different one.

You could try poisoning them but I don't know how. Take away their nice conditions and they'll bugger off on their own. Far easier than setting up an oppressive government and destroying their society from within:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement